A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 41

Sho - employed again!

Just saw a trailer for it on SFTW. Hmmmm. I like the actor they have picked for Richard but Dirk... not sure about that.

If we don't have a suffusion of yellow, and the electric monk I'm going to be Very Cross Indeed.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 42

hygienicdispenser

The cast list in the Radio Times does not have an electric monk, or professor Chronotis, because they are *not* doing the book. It's a one-off programme, written by someone else, using Douglas Adams' characters. I suppose if a series is commissioned, they may possibly end up tackling the book(s).

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 43

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Hell yeah! only an hour or so to go. Brilliant!

FB

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 44

Todaymueller

Got held up on the M20 for an hour, so I was so rushed I have come out and forgot to set the PVR smiley - sadface Still they are bound to repeat it later in the week.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 45

Sho - employed again!

we lost all our BBC channels for a while - but they're back now.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 46

Icy North

Videoing it now. Oh, if anyone wants to discuss the plot, could they please create a spoiler thread? Thanks smiley - smiley

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 47

Baron Grim

Since there's no telling when or if I'll get to see this in my locale, I'll just smiley - elvis.

Wait, on second thought I'll wait just long enough to find out if it is worth waiting on. When it's over, those lucky enough to view it, give us a quick "thumbs up or down".

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 48

Orcus

Well I'll give it the big smiley - ok

A few nods to the book, but a very different plot, which is excellent as they've done something new I wasn't expecting.. Still about time travel and the fridge was there(ish) but wow, very funny, even my other half laughed out loud at it (and she's not into DNA like me) and the characterisation was very good I thought.

Brilliant, I want more. smiley - drool

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 49

I enjoyed it but felt it oculd have been a lot better. The fellah who played MacDuff was a charisma vacuum, which next to a charismatic fellah like Mangan didn't quite work.

Also much as I enjoyed Mangan's performance he didn't look right, he was too thin, not at all as I imagine Dirk.

FB

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 50

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Most enjoyable. I have to admit it's a shamefully long time since I read the books but I thought it was a nice mixture of new ideas and references to the original storyline - thus carrying on the DNA tradition of different media telling the story in different ways.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 51

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I enjoyed it. My eight year old laughed out loud (he's been poorly).

More please...

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 52

KB

smiley - wow I missed it (doing a bit of this and a bit of that), but I'm surprised to read such a positive response. I'll definitely catch it again...

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 53

hygienicdispenser

Dammit. Forgot . It is repeated several times over the coming week or two, and there's alway the iplayer.

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 54

Sho - employed again!

can anyone point me in the direction of the schedule for the repeats?

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 55

Todaymueller

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wqfl2

Near the bottom of the page smiley - smiley

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 56

IctoanAWEWawi

yeah, not bad. A sort of alt-universe dirk kinda thing with similar characters and plots but different connections and so forth. I'd watch again and Dirk actor was quite good I thought. A slightly different take to my mental picture (and agree on the physicality aspect) but still recognisably Dirk. And he did kinda play it straight which is good.

p.s. good to see Herrick in there too...

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 57

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

*phew*

Glad it seemed to work! I'll be watching it on the iplayer tonight if I can get it. That, Misfits and catching up on the apprentice. Most of which shall occur while I'm in the bath. *lovely*

Am all excited now smiley - smiley Cheers!

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 58

Orcus

In the bath?

How very DNA. I hope you'll be drinking lashing of really *hot* smiley - tea too smiley - winkeye

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 59

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

No tea tonight. My butler's going out tonight for his footie team christmas drinks. I'll be in th bath, laptop ont' lavvy lid and a cold pear cider by my side smiley - smiley

Dirk Gently on BBC 4???

Post 60

I was glad that they didn't shrink from the fact that Dirk is essentially a nasty and selfish peice of work. Albeit an interesting character.

FB

Key: Complain about this post