A Conversation for Ask h2g2

E-Book readers (or when can I buy a 'Guide'?)

Post 761

Baron Grim

smiley - book

smiley - doh

Post 762

Baron Grim

Also, THIS also belongs here: http://vimeo.com/40121975smiley - booksmiley - towel

Post 763

Baron Grim

I just got an interesting notification on my Asus Transformer Prime. Apparently I'm eligible for class action settlement. IF* I can find my warranty card (I know I've tossed the original box) that has the serial number on it, I can get $17 and a wifi enhancing dongle. Reading through the settlement info, I was a bit disappointed that "Asus denies all allegations regarding WiFi but Asus acknowledges that GPS performance did not meet the expectations of all customers..." I don't really have an issue with the GPS reception. It's not great, but it's not that much of an issue for me. The wifi on the other hand is.

Anyway, if I can't find the serial number (it is not on the outside of the tablet itself), I can't get the $17 and dongle anyway.

Oh well.

Post 764

Baron Grim

Talk about a bad headline. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22263019

"Samsung works on mind-control tablet"

Yep. They meant "mind-controlled".

There I was thinking Samsung was branching out into psychotropic plots to take over the world, creating some sort of pill to create an army of zombified slaves.

Post 765

Pastey

Apple beat them to it.

Ba Dum Tish!

Post 766

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 767

Baron Grim

Hmmm... Notion Ink are finally getting around to releasing their Adam II.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/12/notion-ink-adam-ii-teased-at-indias-national-technology-awards/

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/466914/20130512/notion-ink-adam-2-android-tablet-launch.htm

smiley - yawn

Post 768

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Funny to remember what a big splash the Adam was making before it got delayed ad infinitum and then was a crushing disappointment on release.

I *still* think that idea of a pixel qi screen really could work on a tablet if they nailed it.

FB

Post 769

Baron Grim

Yeah, and that's the main thing I noticed by its absence in those announcements.

Post 770

Well having a nearly 5" Phone I found that depsite being very keen on my Nexus 7 it didn't really offer enough extra screen real estate to make me use it. On top of that I had been dying to try one of the Chinese Rockchip based tablets that folks in Nerd circles have been so raving about. So I sold my N7 and bought one of these bad boyz...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIPO-M6-Android-Bluetooth-Aluminum/dp/B00CWQJD4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374697179&sr=8-2&keywords=pipo+m6

And it is bloody tremendous. It really is a fantastic bit of kit. I love it.

FB

Post 771

Pastey

Looks pretty!

Post 772

I adore it.

Been hearing great things about bargains on chinese Tab and Phones if you do your research. Must say I am a convert.

The screen is amazing. Better than the Nexus 10 I had a play with. Comparable to the iPad 3 I think.

FB

Post 773

Baron Grim

I was just delving into the dusty corridors of my Convo List...

I'm getting to the point where I desperately need to unlock, root and ROM my Transformer Prime.

Unfortunately, the fora I go to for information and tools assumes a bit more knowledge and confidence than I really have.

Previously, the fora I frequented really spelled out step by step the steps one needs to take. Now, not so much.

I'm pretty sure I can still do it, but I'm a bit hesitant to start.

Anyway, the reason I'm feeling the pressure to do so is that my TF201 is getting VERY LAGGY! ASUS hasn't done an update in some time (I'm on Jelly Bean 4.1.1, I believe).

OH, and before I forget. Just this week I finally received my "settlement" over the wifi/GPS antenna lawsuit. I got a dongle for the GPS antenna (that connects in the same slot as the keyboard and so is mutually exclusive) and a cheque for $17.

I'm getting this just when planned obsolescence is creeping in. smiley - cross

Post 774

If you get stuck and want any real time help I am gtalk/hangouts/email on ferrettbadgergmailcom

FB

Post 775

Baron Grim

I just may take you up on that offer. Not right away. I got plans for the weekend, but yeah. I'll review my options and the guides I've found and let you know before I jump in and risk a bricking.

smiley - cheers

Post 776

Baron Grim

smiley - boing

So, what's the must have tablet/phablet or other form of what I think of as a Guide-like device for this year?

Post 777

Hoovooloo

I just bought a Kobo mini for £29 (!), rooted it and installed XCSoar (a program that does a lot of stuff I need for paragliding), and am currently awaiting delivery of a tiny, tiny GPS module that I'm going to solder onto it to turn it into the best paragliding airmap instrument in the world, for less than £50. (For comparison, anything remotely as usable has a MUCH smaller (although colour) screen, and costs upwards of £250, albeit without the need to do fine soldering...).

If they made a Kobo with internal GPS, every paraglider in the world would buy one.

Post 778

Pastey

Plans are still being pipelined for a real Guide, it just takes a while when there's only a few of us smiley - erm

Post 779

Baron Grim

Pastey, I think you misunderstood. My comment was in no way reflecting on this site or the good work you busy smiley - hamsters are doing. smiley - cheers

It's a reference to my original post. I'm asking about hardware, tablets specifically, which are in form, very like the device Ford Prefect hands to Arthur Dent... but are actually much more functional than that single purpose device. smiley - magicsmiley - tardissmiley - book

However. I do need to ask/suggest something concerning h2g2... I'll smiley - run and do so in an appropriate forum. smiley - towel

Post 780

Pastey

Oh no Grim, I understood perfectly smiley - winkeye

I still haven't bought myself a ereader-tablet-thing. I keep meaning to, but just don't have the need for one while I've got a decent enough phone, and mostly read paperback books smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post