A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 2581

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The Queen

Brilliant stuff. Some laugh-out-loud moments, some cringeworthy - Sylvia Sims as The Queen Mum played it seriously but got the most laughs, and James Cromwell as Prince Philip is the part he was born for.

If Helen Mirren doesn't get an Oscar for her portrayal as the Queen I'll eat my...smiley - cake

Next week's offering is Children of Men, thanks for the review lagosmiley - ok

Post 2582

Spankmunki: The Answer is Lemons. Next break in the current workload due mid-December.

I really want to see Children of Men. All I've got to do now is find a babysitter in a new town

Saw Confetti last night, something that I refused to take Mrs Spankmunki to see at the cinema on account of it looking like a chick flick.

I laughed more than she did.

Post 2583

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

I agree with Iago's review of Children of Men (most of it.)

I don't find myself falling into the camp of wanting more to be explained in the film because I think his first observation that provided you accept and can cope the premise of the film, the rest does a spectacular job of living up to the premise and is fantactically well shot/written/acted etc.

I really appreciated the fact the the film doesn't go much by way of backstory but has the audience in the grip of it's story moreorless from the start and just expects us to keep up. smiley - ok

smiley - popcorn

Post 2584

Spiff

Well, it wasn't at the cinema (or the 'Kinema', as it is known around my way), but I recently saw Paris, Texas.

I had actually seen it before, but it was a long while ago and I really couldn't remember much about it.

Awsome soundtrack - delightfully measured pace (as in snail's, in case that's not clear)and a visually awsome, with lingering shots that really leave you time to take in the pictures.

A pleasure.

I think I'll have to order Himmel uber Berlin off Ama-thingummy.

Spiff

Post 2585

psychocandy-moderation team leader

"Hard Candy", on DVD. It wasn't half bad. I had expected more graphic violence, and less psychological suspense. Three stars.

Post 2586

Xanatic

I watched Brazil yesterday, and have to say something I hadn´t thought I would: Yawn!
I don´t see anything genius about this movie. Not particularly funny or interesting, and the metaphors are rather cliched. Bureacracy being portrayed by men in grey suits in tiny offices, and freedom being represented by flying.

Post 2587

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

TRUE LIES on freeview... not a bad film for arnie... hes ok when hes not trying to be a 'great' actor....

Post 2588

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Mission impossible III on flight to holiday. What a silly film. Better than the second one, but still silly.

The Sentinel on flight back from holiday, Jack Bauer, sorry, Keifer Sutherland did his thing - will he ever get to play a different character ever again? And when will directors stop giving michael douglas parts in film where he is a romantic lead? Ick. Kim Basinger ws nicely understated (as usual). An ok film - wouldn't have paid money to see it though.

Post 2589

Steve K.

Jay Leno: "Mission impossible III? I don't think these missions are all that impossible ..."

Post 2590

Yea, if you're gonna cheat on the President you wanna make it worth your while..she should've gone for Keifersmiley - ok

Post 2591

EVIL ALIENS [on dvd] a film by jack west... brit film very much along the lines of BAD TASTE and DOG SOLDIERS...

VERY gory and often very funny..... team of wierd world tv show go to remote island off wales to cover alien abduction story....

lots of action and craziness.. i hadn't heard anything about this but we liked the look of it.. himoutdoors LOVED it.. it'll be his new favourite film [he loves brit films]

if you watch it..look out for the 3 welsh brothers and the scene with the wurzels song... very funny i have to admit...smiley - laugh

Post 2592

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Grosse Point Blank.

smiley - popcorn

Post 2593

BRICK on dvd... mmmnnn a bit undecided... this film has been well acclaimed. we found the dialogue a bit hard to understand and keep up with.. they used a lot of local slang and talked quickly..

confusing... good performances liked the geek who wasn't a geek at all... hated the eminem look alike...and i didn't feel the explanation at the end was very clear.. nothing about this film was clear and understandable to me..

i must be getting too old

Post 2594

A Super Furry Animal

I watched The Beat That My Heart Skipped last night on DVD. Someone has been giving me some really odd recommendations recently (OK, several months ago, when I added it to my rental list).

Think I'll steer clear of their advice in the future.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2595

Have to agree with the previous reviews of "Children of Men"

Lost count of the number of times I jumped out of my seat!smiley - yikes

Certainly interesting and believeable - no doubt a future that would come true should the worst happen. Scary.

Post 2596

Ridge57

Crash
Watched it again on DVD to see how in any given day what we view as reality is not what others find as such. Disturbing view of a fractured and stratified America.

Post 2597

Miz307

Reminds me have'nt watched a film for soooo long..hmmm

Post 2598

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

Saw Spirited Away last night on DVD. Loved it. Not sure it deserved the position it got on Channel 4's 100 greatest cartoons though. smiley - erm I thought Akira was a much better anime.

Post 2599

if you liked SPIRITED AWAY you should also like HOWLS MOVING CASTLE... same director and animation.... they are quite different though, spirited away is the more traditional japanese story line but howls moving castle is european inspired...

both excellent films....smiley - ok

Post 2600

Effers;England.

There's a Monty Python night on BBC2 tonight smiley - biggrin And 'Brazil' by Terry Gilliam is on at 11.45pm. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more