A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Coins for Flipping

Post 1

J

Would anyone from outside of the US care to tell me what coins in their countries are most commonly used to flip? If you want to 'flip a coin' in the US, it's more likely than not a quarter, but I don't really understand any monetary systems outside of my own.

I'm hoping to include this information in an entry if I can. smiley - smiley

Coins for Flipping

Post 2

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Mt experience in the UK is that it's whatever comes to hand, but usually a 2p or 10p as they're relatively large.

Coins for Flipping

Post 3

Mu Beta

I don't recommend £1 coins for flipping. They're too thick, they have been known to land on edge, and if it rolls under a table and gets lost then you're down one substantial quantity of money.

B

Coins for Flipping

Post 4

J

What would you recommend, B? smiley - smiley

Also, forgive my ignorance, but are the opposing faces of a coin known as heads and tails elsewhere?

Coins for Flipping

Post 5

Mu Beta

One would assume non-English-speaking countries don't use those terms. As far as I know, they're common to the US, Britain, Australia and South Africa. In the UK, flipping is also known as 'tossing', which causes a fair amount of humour, because 'tossing' is also slang for - ahem - going on a date with Miss Palm.

I would recommend a 10p, or if you're flash, a £2. Nice size, easily visible (unlike coppers) and no silly edges (unlike a 20p or 50p), which do tend to hinder the flipping process.

B

Coins for Flipping

Post 6

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Have you ever heard of "Two-Up"?

It's an Australian institution - a gambling game where 2 (or sometimes 3)coins are tossed and wagers are made on the result (heads, tails, odds).

Here are some links for your information - might be good for your entry smiley - biggrin

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/25/1050777402228.html

http://ozbird.com/oz/twoup.htm

http://www.awm.gov.au/Encyclopedia/two_up/howto.htm

It is traditionally played with pennies which are no longer legal currency - more info and pics here

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-asstd/two_up.htm

Let me know if you need anything more smiley - ok

That last link is probably the most comprehensive but the others have some interesting stuff too.

Coins for Flipping

Post 7

4me-2me (Please don't 8me)

In Canada, we usually use a 25 cent or a 1 dollar if the bets are higher...

Coins for Flipping

Post 8

Mu Beta

If you're including Two Up, don't forget the Terry Pratchett version, played by either trolls or the fourecksians (Discworld Australians); I can't remember which.

One Up involves tossing a coin in the air and betting on whether or not it will come down again. smiley - biggrin

B

Coins for Flipping

Post 9

J

smiley - laugh
Write a short little something up and I'll put it in. I'm not familiar enough with Two Up, Australian currency, Pratchett or fourecksians to comfortably write it. I have a very short sentence about Two Up right now.

Thanks 4me

Coins for Flipping

Post 10

J

By the way, the bones of an entry are here - A30481355 and it's in the EGWW

Coins for Flipping

Post 11

Seems as a good entry. I can add (if you want to add some stuff around this wonderful Canada country) that in sport, like football (soccer) a 1$ coin is officialy use to determinate the starter. There is two sides: Pile ou Face (tails or heads), Face (Heads) on canadian money represent your Queen, Elizabeth, Pile represent a beaver on a 25 cent or an huard (osprey , black-throated diver) on a 1$. Canadian tend to choose, when there are face with the choice of choosing the side, Pile (Tails).

Coins for Flipping

Post 12

swl

smiley - laughThe Queen's face on one side and her beaver on the other smiley - magic

Coins for Flipping

Post 13

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

smiley - cross Naughty SWL! The queen doesn't have a beaver, she's a royal don't ya know.

Coins for Flipping

Post 14

J

smiley - yuk

Any more information on Canadian flipping coins? It'd be appreciated. What denominations are widely used?

Coins for Flipping

Post 15

In Quebec or in France, we use Pile ou Face? to ask the opponent choice.
In the english part of the Canada, I do not know, I think it is called tails or head.
You can add in the entry that the fourth doctor (Tom Baker) flip a coin in the episode Warrior's gate to find is direction. I think there are other episode where he flips coin, you should ask the Who department for this information and confirming mine... ( A655256 )
25 cent has now lot of different picture on the tails side. Every month, the royal bank of Canada to justify there salary bring us a new 25 cent that they bring into circulation. They produce more old style 25 cent (with the beaver), but know we have commemorative stuff on the front, flowers, sports, animals... It's kind of nice. I should check out if there is more to tell.

Key: Complain about this post