A Conversation for Ask h2g2

British English words

Post 1001

Nikki-D

... and you got the 1000th !!

British English words

Post 1002

Kaeori

Ooh, no. 1000 - that was a bit of roast duck (as a cockney friend loves to say)!smiley - smiley

Deni, somehow I didn't realise I was supposed to respond, so sorry if my reply was a bit of a dog.

I think we should have a party. Pheroneous, the chocs are on you!smiley - winkeye

British English words

Post 1003

Pheroneous

Since, K, you spurned my Prestat truffles in another place, I shall settle for a big creamy chocolate sponge cake, sheathed in a chocolate coat and topped with sugar threads. (As in Sugar! What a thread!)

"Chocks away"

Post 1004

Is mise Duncan

There should be a guide entry for the slang used in WW2 films, IMHO.

Chocks away = here we go. The little triangles of wood used to stop the planes rolling forward when the engine was started are chocks - and once removed the airplane can taxi along.

Cabbage crates = Bombers ... no idea why

Bought it/Bought the farm - Was killed.

What else?
*thinks..., all the while whispering the great escape*

"Chocks away"

Post 1005

Kaeori

Whistling, DJ, surely!smiley - smiley

Got that Hun in a hail of ack-ack!... or something...

Pheroneous, truffles *and* cake please. Prestat and poststat, just for good measure!smiley - winkeye

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Horses!

Post 1006

Phil

The great escape...

Starts digging under the horse (vaulting) after grabbing a uniform from the horse (clothes) while watching for guards on horses (equine).

Horses!

Post 1007

Pheroneous

...where the dust in the tunnel made him hoarse...

Horses!

Post 1008

Is mise Duncan

A local (Dublin or Ireland?) greeting is "How are you, horse?" which isn't derogatory and doesn't seem to mean much at all...

Horses!

Post 1009

james

one i have heard is how are you,old chum.always reminds me of shark bait

Horses!

Post 1010

Percy von Wurzel

1920's again - 'How are you, old horse?', and going back to the WWII topic, 'gone west','jerry can','flak'.
I am probably being obtuse, but why does 'old chum' remind you of shark bait?

shark!

Post 1011

james

ive never heard of chuming for anything other than shark.and im atalose as to the words freindly use.is it perhaps military in orgin?that might explain it somewhat.cant think of friends as bait

Hollywood needs a hand

Post 1012

Is mise Duncan

If anyone happens to know any Hollywood producers could they point them in the direction of this thread. I mean, it's bad enough having a film called "Free Willy"...but "Snatch", honestly - these people don't know the world around them smiley - winkeye.

Hollywood needs a hand

Post 1013

Nikki-D

I guess most people in "Tinsel Town" don't know much about the real world - they probably think what they read in screen plays IS the real world!

Hollywood needs a hand

Post 1014

Nikki-D

On the horsey theme, I went with a friend to a dressage competition yesterday, and there's loads of jargon and strange use of english.
I found out that horses have feathers, for instance

Hollywood needs a hand

Post 1015

Is mise Duncan

Sure - but most other international companies spend stupidly large sums of money to make sure that their brand names work in other languages - which is why "Esso" became "Exxon" etc.

Hell

Post 1016

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

If you think British dogs are bad, you should hear about Aussie Hell. It can be hot as hell, cold as hell, windy as hell, wet as hell, dry as hell,...

3smiley - biggrin

JOTD: I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.

Or s**t (US)

Post 1017

Is mise Duncan

It can be tricky, serious, deep, holy, scared and crazy...and in some cases it can be good.

Hollywood needs a hand

Post 1018

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

Some companies don't check what translations would be very well, which is why Novas weren't selling well in Latin America

3smiley - biggrin

JOTD: I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.

Or s**t (US)

Post 1019

vodka and coke

And s**t is a slang name for a drug in Britain. I forget which one because I'm not an expert on that sort of thing (!) but I remember hearing it somewhere.

Or s**t (US)

Post 1020

You can call me TC

That's not exclusive to Britain. I'm sure they use it in Pulp Fiction

Key: Complain about this post