A Conversation for Ask h2g2

British English words

Post 981

vodka and coke

I used to live in Canada and there was one British word that used to stump them every time. Trousers. The number of times I had to define that word is too high to count. There were other words it took me a long time to learn not to say and they were Jam, Pavement and you'd be surprised how often Oubergine (sp?) comes up in conversation in one year! It is quite amaizing how many words I have to correct and define while there.

British English words

Post 982

Pheroneous

Right, lets crack on, if K is to have her moment of glory.

Yes, aubergine instead of Eggplant, courgette instead of zucchini, but I fear our French friends, at least, would get the meaning.

Do Canadians count in all this, and why don't they wear trousers?

British English words

Post 983

Kaeori

It's not trousers you need to worry about, it's pants!smiley - smiley

1000th message

Post 984

Deni

By all means I am not saying that westeners are cleaner in anyway than arabs. (I use water myself). But they are not especialy cleaner than dogs. I live in Holland (but I am not a westener) and I see some dogs, like poodles, that are white and completely spotles. Now try wearing a white pair of jeans and a white T-shirt for a day and see how long it stays shiny white for. I have a pekingese myself and he's white. I wash around once every two weeks, but he's never dirty or smelly.

British English words

Post 985

Kaeori

Might it not be regarded as 'bad form' to reach our target by posting the same message again? Not that I want to accuse anyone of being a cad, even though it's a lovely Brit word which sadly you don't use any more...

British English words

Post 986

amdsweb

I do.

British English words

Post 987

Is mise Duncan

Me too - and "bounder", which is even better.

British English words

Post 988

Phil

Just because you two might be cads and bounders doesn't mean we all are though.

British English words

Post 989

Deni

Thanks Phil, just what I was thinking.

British English words

Post 990

Deni

You still havn't given an answer which why I sent it again Kaeori.

British English words

Post 991

Nikki-D

Looking for that unique word known within but not without would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack (why were our predecessors so careless about where they left their needles?)

British English words

Post 992

Nikki-D

Only nine to go ... ooopps now its eight

British English words

Post 993

Pheroneous

Clever stuff, Deni.

How can they wear pants, these Canadians, did they learn nothing whilst pink on the map? Pants is, of course, short for 'underpants' which is why they go under trousers.

British English words

Post 994

Nikki-D

I once had an accutely embarrasing moment when out with a bunch of North American IBMers (when on a business trip to the States) when I managed to introduce the word "rubber" into the conversation. I know its also called an erasor (on both sides of the pond), but I had been unaware of the colloquial use of "rubber" in America

British English words

Post 995

Nikki-D

Shouldn't they be called undertrousers then ?

British English words

Post 996

Pheroneous

Surely not, Nikki. If they were called under-trousers, the name would be shortened to trusers, and you would wear them under pants, which of course, you wear under trousers. Do you see?

British English words

Post 997

Nikki-D

If they're called underpants, they should be worn under pants, which rather supports the US nomenclature for garments worn on the legs ...

British English words

Post 998

Deni

Isn't the meaning of underwear obvious. Under wear. You wear it under something. It doesn't have to be trousers. It can be a skirt or whatever.

1000th message

Post 999

Percy von Wurzel

An ingenious suggestion, and by happy coincidence not entirely missing Pheroneous' point. Such combination words are called 'portmanteaus'. I refer you to http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean/carroll/jabberwock.html
There one may find words that come close to the given definition, although it is inevitable that some of the more widely read of our non-Brit English speakers will have come across such delicacies as 'galumphing'.

British English words

Post 1000

Kaeori

I think, Nikki-D, that Pheroneous is using the subtle logic of humor. Well, he brought a smile to my face!smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post