A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Middle English

Post 381

Wand'rin star

No, I think you need to ask another question. So I've stuck my nose in and done it for you smiley - smiley

Scon(e)s?

Post 382

Kaeori

15th century, I think. Coronation of Henry VI. Or, rather, the feast that went with it.

I'll switch over to the ME thread that Wandrin'star has started.

Scon(e)s?

Post 383

plaguesville

For all of you on diets, needing to watch your weight, trying to avoid scons, noogah and ahmonds; perhaps you would like something colourful. Mauve for instance: "morv" or "Mohve"?
Oh, and Kaeori can join in as well.
smiley - winkeye

Colouful pronunciation

Post 384

Wand'rin star

Mohve for me and tohp for taupe. Turkwoys rather than turkwahs for turquoise What do you make of azure?
What about a bunch of _forsythia_ in a _vase_?

Dog business just don't make sense!

Post 385

james

im thinking that the expression, not quite a full ticket,is pretty much worldly understood.and im not at the moment thankyou

Anyone for a sandwich?

Post 386

Kaeori

Diet, plaguesville? Not me!smiley - winkeye

One of the culinary differences between US and British culture is the interpretation of 'sandwich'.

OK, we spell it the same, and both subscribe to the basic 'filling between slices of bread'. But there all similarities end, and I strongly suspect that the US version is more true to the original invention by Lord Sandwich.

Brit sandwich: two thin slices of "guaranteed 'fresh' for 7 days" 'bread' (term used in loosest sense of the word) filled with jelly or egg 'mayonnaise' (made with salad cream - yuch) or 'ploughman's' - slice of processed cheese, limp piece of lettuce, layer of pickle.smiley - sadface

US sandwich: thick cut 'real' bread filled to overflowing with any and every kind of delicious meats or salami or whatever you can imagine. A full meal!smiley - smiley

OK, OK - just to placate any Brits I've angered who may be wondering about the sandwich they were going to have for lunch: before you send me packing, your cakes and candies alone compensate for any shortcomings in your sandwiches.

Love you all!smiley - winkeye

BTW, what's it like in the sandwich department in other countries?

Scon(e)s?

Post 387

Potholer

We're back to good old Northern efficiency again - it's slightly quicker to pronounce it as 'skon'. As there isn't already another meaning for the 'skon' vocalisation, there's no real need to worry about misinterpretation.
English has Germanic/Nordic roots, so it's *supposed* to have lots of nice short, hard sounds in it. Let's face it, 'skon' even *looks* like it's Norse

That's why north Britons pronounce grass, bath, etc properly, rather than in the southern 'grarse', 'barth', etc style. (or the American 'gray-uss', 'bay-uth' variants.)

We *pronounce* scone properly as well, it's just that everyone *spells* it wrong.

PS - T.C., it's *definitely* milk in first.

Scon(e)s?

Post 388

Metal Chicken

But I'm a Northerner and I've always said scone. Am I on my own here?
I've just discovered that you Americans call these things 'biscuits' anyway, so say neither skon nor scone. (Biscuit and Gravy as a breakfast option needed a lot of explaining to this British English speaker.)

Scon(e)s?

Post 389

Rockhopper

As a simple Cornishman, these subtleties of language are beyond me.

As for food, why argue over 'scons' or sandwiches, when you can have a pasty!

Scon(e)s?

Post 390

Trillian's child

Have you ever eaten a pasty outside Cornwall? It's enough to make you start up a thread about it.............. Please supply the DEFINITIVE RECIPE

Scon(e)s?

Post 391

Kaeori

I had a pasty once, and that was quite enough, thank you. It was a dog!

And who says we call scones 'biscuits'?

Brits call cookies 'biscuits'. Just like you call jelly 'jam'.

smiley - smiley

Jelly

Post 392

Wand'rin star

I was very disappointed when given my first "peanut butter and jelly" sandwich. I was expecting gelatine with fruit in. What do Americans call that?

Jelly

Post 393

Is mise Duncan

I believe they call it Jell-O, but thats a brand name.

Jelly

Post 394

Kaeori

Hey guys, please don't mention p****t b****r.smiley - sadface You wouldn't like me to throw up all over this thread, would you?

That has to one of the most evil substances my country has inflicted on the world. I apologise profusely!

Jelly

Post 395

Is mise Duncan

You don't like the aforementioned substance, I take it.

I have to say its too sticky to use as a sandwich spread without butter or jam or the like but is very nice in Thai cooking....mmm - half an hour in the building and already thinking only of food...you can tell I'd no breakfast smiley - sadface

Jelly

Post 396

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Hungry Dunc??

You should get up earlier!!smiley - smileysmiley - smiley

'G'

Jelly

Post 397

Is mise Duncan

Hungry - I'm starving. Darned alarm clock and its "snooze button right next to the off button" design flaw smiley - winkeye.

Anyhow - to get back to topic, ish, whats the past tense of "paraglide"?

Also - I have noticed that certain west of Ireland people say "thinkful" for "thoughtful" - is this a dialect or an error?

Paraglided

Post 398

Wand'rin star

Much more difficult : what's the past tense of " spin dry"?
If "thinkful" comes from your lady's family, it's dialect. Otherwise it's a mistake.

Spun Dry

Post 399

Phil

As for paragliding I don't know what the past tense is. Does it need one? I am going paragliding, I am paragliding, I went/was paragliding
seems OK to me (Who wishes sometimes he listened to his mother when she said that I should learn latin to get a handle on English grammer).

Paraglided

Post 400

Kaeori

As the past tense of 'glide' is 'glided', surely the past tense of 'paraglide' is 'paraglided'. Or am I missing something?

As for 'spin-dry', no probs if you don't forget your hyphen. Past tense is 'spin-dried'.

Alarm clock hint: put it out of reach!smiley - winkeye

BTW, if you use p****t b****r in Thai, Malay or Indonesian cooking, that's ok, because the other ingredients, such as tamarind, lemon grass and the-one-that-looks-a-bit-like-ginger-but-isn't, destroy the poisoness effects.smiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post