A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 1961

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

smiley - bookmarking

useless facts

Post 1962

pffffft

In some rural areas of Thailand it is not uncommon for overweight people to be slapped around the back of the head with a bamboo cane by other locals when they are walking down the street and positive way of encouraging the victim to lose weight.

useless facts

Post 1963

Researcher 1300304

antarctica is the driest continent on earth. essentially zero precipitation. no rivers or lakes.

useless facts

Post 1964

Baron Grim

For now. smiley - erm

useless facts

Post 1965

Baron Grim

Back to watches...

A watch or clock running backwards would be "correct" four times each day.

useless facts

Post 1966

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

My dog's got no nose.

He doesn't like talking about it.

useless facts

Post 1967

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

The Italian flag was designed by Napoleon Bonaparte. It was based on the French flag, but with the blue section replaced by green because green was apparently Napoleon's favourite colour.

smiley - erm

useless facts

Post 1968

yuNobody

First a few words(useful or not is not relevant) about the word 'data'. The word was actually an acronmy, when it was first use by the people working on electronic information technology. It represented the use of digital coding to store bits of information. Since, the first computers had no real memory to store information in, the information was 'written' on d.a.t.a(forgot what real name for the device)smiley - sadface banks. This were acutal physical devices where the ones and zeros could be stored and then used to read the results of the computations. Since the term data was similar with the latin word datatum, the people working with the large volumes of results started to use 'data' to refer to digitally stored information. Now 'data' is use as a shorten form of saying 'the collection of information' and/or 'the results from the processing of the information collected.' smiley - smiley It does not sound like a fact and searching the internet will not verify this information. You will need to read reference books, from early '70s and before, to verify this. smiley - winkeye

And now a regularly schedule rant

All the postings regarding statistics, which stated that a certain percentage of statistics are made up, stated a different percentage to have been made up. So how is it that people know this as a fact when there does not seem to be any accord on what the actual percentage of statistics are made up? It would seem that there really are no real percentage of statistics that are made up and all statistics can be confirmed as correct, since the data collectors for any specific statistics could just report that data that makes the statistic correct. smiley - bubbly

I was also going to go on about all the useful facts and non-facts posted on here as well, however, I have come to realize that the mere fact that the information was posted here renders the information useless. smiley - biggrin As for the requirement that the information be interesting, well any useless information cannot be interesting. An interesting bit of information is by its nature useful, since someone can be entertained with interesting information. Useless information also cannot be totally boring, as then someone could use it to bore somebody to death. Useless information should just be useless and information. There nobody can get more useless than that, but I will not. smiley - ok

Now back to your useless information conversation.
smiley - bubbly

useless facts

Post 1969

Cheerful Dragon

Actually, there's no such word as 'datatum'. 'Data' is the plural of the Latin word 'datum'. The Latin word means 'given' and a 'datum' is a given fact. Hence 'data' is any collection of facts or information. So unless you can come up with the name of a work (book, journal, magazine article) that actually refers to 'd.a.t.a. banks', I'll have to regard this 'fact' as spurious.

useless facts

Post 1970

Madbeachcomber, I've done my spring cleaning, does that make me sad?

smiley - book

useless facts

Post 1971

Researcher 1300304

acronyms are often created to resemble an existing word.

when dr virginia apgar created the apgar test for newborn babies (Activity, Pulse, Grimace, Appearance, and Respiration) the acronym quite conveniently spelt her surname.

useless facts

Post 1972

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

And then there are bacronyms where the word is already used as a name for something and somebody creates the acronym later.

useless facts

Post 1973

pffffft

Its quite fortunate that she wasnt testing newborns for Strength, Hearing, Intelligence and Temerity then.

In Uganda it is socially unaceptable to say the word 'duck'

useless facts

Post 1974

Dante

They found an iceberg the size of belgium

useless facts

Post 1975

Who did? Ducks?

smiley - erm

useless facts

Post 1976

pffffft

I am ugandan and I found that last post offensive.

useless facts

Post 1977

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Duck off!

useless facts

Post 1978

pffffft

No. If I take the duck off, I'll be naked.

*wacca wacca*

useless facts

Post 1979

'In Uganda it is socially unaceptable to say the word 'duck''

Some people just don't like fowl language.

smiley - laugh

useless facts

Post 1980

Baron Grim

smiley - rofl... I am almost embarrassed to admit I'm actually laughing at that. <laugh.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more