A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 1921

pffffft

<>

Pah! Dost thou question my most excellent sources?

You sir can put your lime in your Coconut.

And yes you can have a piece of 'wind'. Other acceptable terms are chunk, slice or portion.

useless facts

Post 1922

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Fact: The collective noun for most things is 'a bunch'.

useless facts

Post 1923

Baron Grim

The song you are thinking of is The Banana Boat Song. Harry Belafonte sings it...

Useless fact: The actor Alan Arkin is credited (with others) with writing the song.

useless facts

Post 1924

pffffft

smiley - smiley

*salutes*

fanu

A Belafonte is also the name of a Siege Engine designed in the mid 17th Century in Spain.

useless facts

Post 1925

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

<>

Er, you did just make that up, didn't you, pffffft?

Tell me, you did, didn't you?smiley - blush

useless facts

Post 1926

<>

This is smiley - cool!

useless facts

Post 1927

pffffft

make a fact up, me, never smiley - run

*clears throat*

smiley - musicalnote
Oh Bratislokia, Great Bratislokia
Bratislokia we love you.

ooh aah Bratislokia, Great Bratislokia
Bratislokia we love you.
smiley - musicalnote

useless facts

Post 1928

Yelbakk

Bratislokia does not exist today, nor was it the former USSR. If, indeed, it did exist and had existed, it would have done so as merely a part of the former USSR, rather than being the former USSR.

Bratislava, on the other hand, does exist.

The non-existant Bratisloika and the existant Bratislava have the following features in common:

Neither were the USSR.
Neither were part of the USSR.
Neither are located in Australia.
Neither are known for their beautiful coastlines.
Both are featured in this thread.

Y.

useless facts

Post 1929

pffffft

<>

oh yeah, well how do you explain the second stanza of the National Antem then...

smiley - musicalnote
Bratislokia, Great Big Bratislokia,
Our fine sandy beached friend

Bratislokia, Great Big Bratislokia
Our fiiiiiine saaandy beached frieeeeeendddddddda!
smiley - musicalnote

And besides, without a beautiful coastline how else could there be the famous Bratislokian Great Red, the only breed of shark that is actually able to vomit underwater.

useless facts

Post 1930

Yelbakk

Ah, seems like you got me there... Incidentally, does Bratislokia share a border with Molvania?

(http://www.jetlagtravel.com/molvania)

Y.

useless facts

Post 1931

smiley - musicalnoteHail, hail Freedonia! smiley - musicalnote - From the Marx Bros' 'Duck Soup'.

I've never been do any of those countries - but I did spend a very pleasant fortnight in San Serif.

Idea for the Laos Tourist Agency:
T-shirts saying 'My folks went to Vientiane and all I got was this Laotian T-shirt' smiley - run

useless facts

Post 1932

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Did you stay in Uppercase or Lowercase?

useless facts

Post 1933

pffffft

smiley - ale @ Yell

Think I will be ordering that book from Amazon. Looks a funny read...

useless facts

Post 1934

Rod, Keeper of Pointless and/or funny discussions or statements

Finland is the country that hosts most world championships in the world. Among many many others there are the following (and yes, these are real championships):

-airgitare championship
-icehole swimming
-sauna sitting (or bathing, not sure in english)
-mobilephone trowing
-anthill sitting (naked)
-muscito killing
-wife carying competition

Rod

useless facts

Post 1935

<<-anthill sitting (naked)>>

This looks like fun - not! smiley - weird

useless facts

Post 1936

Biathlon always seems an odd one to me: Cross-country skiing and shooting. A sport tailor made to be won by members of the Scandewegian military.

And why does the British army have a bobsleigh team, for heaven's sake? It's hardly a military skill.
'OK, chaps. Let's sneak up on them by building a giant trench in the snow, covering its surface with hard ice and sliding down it dead fast'. I mean, all you'd have to do would be to wait at the bottom with a machine gun.

Remember when John Noakes showed off his bruised arse on live children's TV?

useless facts

Post 1937

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

No, no, no it's competeing in such sports as Dwarf Throwing and Bog Snorkling that has made this country great, oh and Obnail Boot Shin Kicking, shandy drinking Southerners not allowed.

useless facts

Post 1938

Baron Grim

Yea.. for the southerners you could have the Scrumpy Walk... After 4 pints, whoever can walk to the door wins.

useless facts

Post 1939

Baron Grim

The first leavened breads may have resulted from the bakers using their feet to kneed the dough... the yeast between their toes provided the leavening. smiley - yuk

useless facts

Post 1940

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

The entire length of the Wright brothers' first flight in 1903, (120ft), is shorter than the length of the cargo hold of the USAF's C-5B Galaxy transport aircraft.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more