A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Useless facts

Post 7041

Baron Grim

A few years ago, I was scanning some of the Shuttle astronaut film (that's what I do) and we noticed some very odd marks on some of the images. It looked like cracks in the film from the top and bottom edges. It turned out to be caused my similar static electricity sparks. It was occurring near the end of some of the 35mm rolls shot during EVAs. My guess is that being in the vacuum of space made it possible for the film to build up a charge, especially where the film was curled the tightest.

Useless facts

Post 7042

Baron Grim

Cats can't taste sweets.

Useless facts

Post 7043

Catachresis - not just a metaphor

Louis XIV, the Sun King, the builder of Versailles, was the illegitimate son of a priest.

His supposed father, Louis XIII was gay, and hated his mother, Anne of Austria, a traitor who plotted against the French on behalf of her [Hapsburg] relatives. His birth was such a surprise that the French called him "Louis-Dieudonné" the gift of God. He knew that his father was Cardinal Mazarin, and felt pangs of guilt over the fact that his claim to the throne, which presupposed inherited divine rights, was based on such a shaky foundation.

Useless facts

Post 7044

greygreenwolf

Did you know...
Non- of the world 100 richest men are marryed to red heads?smiley - biggrin

Useless facts

Post 7045

greygreenwolf

A wolf has 8% of the same DNA as ussmiley - fullmoon

Useless facts

Post 7046

Baron Grim

Ah, come on. If a starfish has ninety some-odd percent in common with us, surely a wolf has more than 8%.

Useless facts

Post 7047

swl

Well yes. It has 8%. And another 8%. And another 8%. And ano...

Technically, the statement is correct smiley - biggrin

Useless facts

Post 7048

Baron Grim

Are these guys your maths teachers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLprXHbn19I

smiley - laugh

Useless facts

Post 7049

swl

Unless one of them rubs your arm whilst breathing on your neck - no.

Useless facts

Post 7050

swl

That clip is magic btw smiley - laugh

Useless facts

Post 7051

toybox

There is a single French verb which doesn't have an 'r' in its infinitive form.

Useless facts

Post 7052

KB

smiley - bigeyes Don't stop there - which one? (Or would that lead us into potentially useful" territory?)

Useless facts

Post 7053

Baron Grim

While you're waiting, the 'M's in M&M candies stand for Mars and Murrie referring to Forrest Mars, Sr. of Mars Candy co. and William Murrie of Hershey Chocolate.

Useless facts

Post 7054

On the subject of chocolate, the first bar in the world to have something covered in chocolate rather than being solid was the KitKat. Rowntrees was going bankrupt. They had offered to sell their factories to Cadbury. When they were turned down, they came up with the idea of a chocolate-covered wafer.

This opened the floodgates, through which peanuts, raisins, hazel nuts, fondants and all the other fillings have been pouring ever since.

Useless facts

Post 7055

Xanatic

Right after WWII the American troops stationed in Germany asked the Danish confectionary company Tom´s to make a chocolate bar for them, so they wouldn´t have to import them from the US. This they did, and named it the Yankie Bar.

Useless facts

Post 7056

toybox

Nope, not useful. It's 'fiche', as in 'j'en n'ai rien à fiche', see

http://correcteurs.blog.lemonde.fr/2010/05/19/linfinitif-peut-il-manquer-dr/

smiley - geek

Useless facts

Post 7057

"Chevalier" John Taylor, an 18th century itinerant oculist, travelled around Europe in a carriage drawn by six black horses, five of them blind because he had used them to practise on.

It is said that Handel's deterioration into blindness was speeded-up by Taylor, and that Bach died from complications after being operated on by him.

Useless facts

Post 7058

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Useless fact: for a brief moment I though Foxy had come back...

Useless facts

Post 7059

Baron Grim

I also.

Useless facts

Post 7060

KB

I believe he's dead now.

Key: Complain about this post