A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 6361

Persephone - Creator of the best typos around!

Ranidaphobia is the Fear of frogs

wiccaphobia is the fear of witches and witchcraft

Urophobia is the fear oif unine and uninating

Syngenesophobia is the Fear of relatives

Can you tell i was bored?

useless facts

Post 6362

Baron Grim

http://phobialist.com/

smiley - towel Share and Enjoy smiley - towel

useless facts

Post 6363

You can call me TC

Fear of urinating? I can understand disgust, but wouldn't it be a difficult thing to avoid?

useless facts

Post 6364

Baron Grim

That would probably be the 'irrational' part of the fear.

useless facts

Post 6365

You can call me TC

Yeah - probably can be traced back to weird potty training methods.

useless facts

Post 6366

Baron Grim

Like this? http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2009/04/25/japanese-potty-training-video.aspx

smiley - laugh ^_^

useless facts

Post 6367

Baron Grim

Heaven is hotter than Hell.
(I just found this again, floating around the interwebz. I'm posting it here because of our recent brief discussion concerning radiative equilibrium.)

smiley - scientist
The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26, "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days." Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that ... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation, i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation, (H/E)^4 = 50, where E is the absolute temperature of the earth (~300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed ... [However] Revelations 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C.

-- From Applied Optics vol. 11, A14, 1972

smiley - cool

useless facts

Post 6368

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Talking of N

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/

useless facts

Post 6369

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

smiley - devilsmiley - brrsmiley - devil

smiley - angelsmiley - grrsmiley - angel

smiley - bat

useless facts

Post 6370

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

during his childhood charles dickens expereinced a long run of snowy christmasses due to a climate fluctuations, and so when writing his books drew on his experiences as a child, the snowy christmas entered the public conciousness, and we have never got rid of it

smiley - bat

useless facts

Post 6371

Persephone - Creator of the best typos around!

cool...

I envy him

smiley - brr

useless facts

Post 6372

Baron Grim

Hmmm... The legal age of consent in the Vatican State is 12.

useless facts

Post 6373

Taff Agent of kaos

that says it all??????

smiley - bat

useless facts

Post 6374

swl

The scenes depicting the fighting in Hue City in Stanley Kubrick's film "Full Metal Jacket" were filmed on the Isle of Dogs in London.

useless facts

Post 6375

Taff Agent of kaos

how much money did they spend impoving the place up to that standardsmiley - winkeyesmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

smiley - bat

useless facts

Post 6376

Icy North

Parts of Lawrence of Arabia were filmed at Frensham Pond in Surrey - the nearest sandy beach to the London film studios.

useless facts

Post 6377

Cheerful Dragon

It sounds like the Vatican State's age of consent dates back to medieval times. Back then the age of consent (amongst English nobles, at the very least) was 12 years old for girls, 14 years old for boys.

useless facts

Post 6378

Baron Grim

Source: http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm
No explanation.

useless facts

Post 6379

kuzushi

The calendar repeats every 28 years.
If today is Sunday 31st January 2010, then 31st January 2038 will also be a Sunday, and so will 31st January 2066.

A55778863

useless facts

Post 6380

Icy North

But 28 years before 31st January 2010 wasn't a Sunday... smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post