A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Songs that turn into other songs halfway through singing them to yourself

Post 21

liquidsword

That bland generic rock single by "Jet" (cant remember what it's called but its used on a vodafone ad I think) has shamelessly nicked the bassline from "town called malice" and everytime I hear it start I get half way through the first verse before I realise I've got the wrong song. I demand satisfaction sir...... now where did I put my duelling gloves?

Post 22

A Super Furry Animal

Well, no-one's mentioned it so far, so I'll throw in "Where the streets have no name" which segues seamlessly into "I can't take my eyes off you", as demonstrated by Pet Shop Boys.

Post 23

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

> > malapopism <<
smiley - cheers
Happens to me all the time.
Started way back when the Beatles had a big hit that went:

smiley - musicalnote
"Here I stand, head in hand,
turn my face to the wall,
westward leading, still proceeding
guide us with thy perfect lite."
smiley - musicalnote

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

Post 24

A Super Furry Animal

Just listening to Charlene Spiteri (Texas) singing "say What You Want", and couldn't help bursting into song...it contains the line "when I get that feeling", which to me is naturally followed by "I want sexual healing" by Marvin Gaye.

Post 25

azahar

Reddyfreddy,

Oh no! Now you've got *me* doing the same thing with that song! smiley - biggrin This is possibly even worse than ear worms.

az

Post 26

A Super Furry Animal

Glad to be of smiley - erm service? smiley - sadface

Post 27

Mu Beta

Surely the bassline for Town Called Malice was nicked from the Supremes' Can't Hurry Love in the first place? smiley - erm

B

Post 28

The Groob

The Texas song Black Eyed Boy/Girl (?) turns into My Guitar Gently Weeps quite easily. In fact it's exactly the same tune.

Post 29

Just Justin... (ACE)

Does parodys of songs count?

whenever i sing along to "lola" by the kinks, i always end up singing "Yoda" by wierd al...

Post 30

My aboslute favourite is singing the words from the Gilligan's Island themesong to the tune of Stairway To Heaven. It not only works but after you've heard it you can't separate them ever again.

smiley - musicalnote

"..for a three hour tour.."

smiley - musicalnote

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 31

Terry Teadreg

Quite a lot of pop songs have very similar chord sequences. This is one of the causes of malapopism. It is fun to deliberately mix similar songs up, especially when playing live with a band.
A very nice example of that is a mixture of three songs that my band sometimes plays: Let It Be (Beatles), So Lonely (Police) and No Woman No Cry (Bob Marley). They share the Am-F-C-G sequence.
Also the choruses of Make Me Smile (Cockney Rebel) and When You're Gone (Bryan Adams & Mel C.) have the same chords (Dm-F-C-G).

Malapopism, as it was defined here, occurs to me a lot with Chuck Berry songs, but that's because they are very similar in the first place.

smiley - cheers Terry

Post 32

Mad - I need a holiday, very seriously...

very weirdly and quite disturbingly My lover's gone by dido turned into In the end by linkin park. that was very odd and unwelcome

Post 33

>> ..a lot with Chuck Berry songs...are very similar in the first place. <<

smiley - ok
Chuck was the prototypical 'black hillbilly'. He used all the old English ballads that still survive in the back hills of Apalachia and added his own electric-eclectic rhythm.

Most black 'rhythm and blues' players of the time dissed him for abandoning the basic Mississippi blues formats and playing 'country-music'. He even wrote his lyrics as a narrative story line just like the old ballads do.

His 'integration' of musical themes is under-recognised and under-appreciated. But the 'familiarity' of his musical and lyrical structures got him air-play on white radio stations that wouldn't touch R&B.

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

Post 34

A Super Furry Animal

>>...added his own electric-eclectic rhythm.<<

Hmm, you could combine those two words and come up with the wod "eclectric". Now, where have I heard that before? smiley - winkeye

Post 35

A Super Furry Animal

smiley - evilgrin "wods" are similar to words, only shorter smiley - blush

Post 36

The Groob

I saw something on tv that featured a song along the lines of:

"falling in love again....love again....."

This was soon on my brain but then turned into "Clouds across the moon" by the Rah band.

Then, it miraculously turned into the "What'll I do, when you are far away" - the themetune of Birds Of A Feather!

Post 37

egon

Whenever I start singing "somewhere along the line" by billy joel, it always ends up as "the gambler" by kenny rogers.

Post 38

Mu Beta

Nice to see this thread back.

I was singing the theme tune to Hawaii 5-0 today, and it somehow turned into Wacky Races...

B

Post 39

A Super Furry Animal

Psyco-killer by Talking Heads all too easily becomes the Pearl & Dean advertising tune...fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa... smiley - erm

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 40

azahar

You're Beautiful as You Feel by Carole King (who's old???) turns into Rocky Raccoon. Go figure.

az

Key: Complain about this post