A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Coping with being a bowl of Petunias

Post 981

Tube - the being being back for the time being

I, personally, reckon that it'ss not the Italics' doing, at least not out of their own free will.
But anyways, this is getting a bit silly. smiley - erm

Post 982

azahar

Tube,

Possibly way beyond silly by now.

Been reading this thread since it started. And I still don't understand the big deal about it.

We get to use a free public forum to talk about loads of stuff we want to talk about. And we get to meet a lot of very interesting people and have interesting discussions.

That some aspects of this forum have gone all political and strange does not affect me at all unless as a result this forum ends up disappearing.

That would be a shame.

az

Post 983

Potholer

"I, personally, reckon that it'ss not the Italics' doing,.."

Same here, (since I think they are all in their right minds, and therefore unlikely to be responsible for this particular bit of futile tampering) but I'm a bit wary of overqualifying my posts with too many 'maybes' and 'perhapses', so sometimes I just settle for leaving things a bit vague.

If it *is* someone higher up trying some micromanagment (ie meddling), I do wish they'd find something more suited to their valuable time, like twiddling their thumbs or counting their salary.

Post 984

abcB

Oh, I would bet next year's salary that it isn't the Italics' doing. I am absolutely certain that is is the result of a higher-up.

What *is* the Italics' doing is the cavalier process, ie, not informing people about what is going on. I am trying to remember if this lack of information was also a part of Peta and Mark's style, or if it is more of a Natalie-thing.

To be perfectly honest, I am so punch drunk at the moment that I don't actually give a flying f**k, *except* (1) it is rude, and no-one likes to be on the receiving end of that kind of discourtesy and (2) it is inaccurate. It was a description of "How to be the Perfect Mistress", and, in the socio-linguistics of our age a piece about "empowerment".

"Coping" forsooth!

No reply, btw, but that may be because les italiques are incommunicado at the moment, so I am not (yet) p****d off about that.

I will keep y'all posted.

a Perfect Mistress called Ben
(References available on request)

Post 985

SEF

I agree with just about all of that - except the being drunk and swearing. smiley - winkeye

When did Natalie take over though?

Post 986

SEF

PS "all" obviously does not include being Ben - or a perfect mistress. smiley - yikessmiley - biggrin

The edited entry they don't want you to read

Post 987

abcB

"Punch drunk" SEF, sweetie. "Punch drunk". A different kettle of bicycles entirely. I won't abuse you on the basis that you couldn't be bothered to read my pearls of wisdom properly, or on the basis that speed-reading means you are stupid though. In fact, I am in a good mood, and I cannot be bothered to abuse anyone at all today.

Email from les italiques.

In brief: it is polite, professional, appears to address all the points, (though it is slippery where slipperiness is prudent), and although it does not include an actual apology for not emailing me, Rainbow and Magnolia, it does acknowledge all of the points in mine.

The main outcome is that the entry is being re-titled to "Being a Mistress", and they have provided good customer service.

Thank you for your attention. We now return you to your original programme.

B

Post 988

SEF

What assurances have they given, if any, that they won't be removing or editing anyone else's Edited Guide entry without informing them either on or off site? Without some sort of official procedure existing and actually being followed, nothing has changed. It would still be down to everyone to check all their EG entries regularly to see what further destructiveness has been wreaked on behalf of Editorial Policy.

Post 989

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

smiley - cool, Ben. smiley - ok

Post 990

abcB

SEF, I was very clear on what I asked them for. As I indicated, I don't really care about other peoples' entries, or about the processes used by the Italics, or indeed that much about the site as a whole, I did not ask for information on these wider issues.

B

Post 991

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Good skils ben!smiley - biggrin

Post 992

Potholer

Slightly off-topic, but vaguely relevant to the earlier discussions re: the legality of alfresco sex:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3119024.stm

The Edited Entry they don't want you to read

Post 993

Researcher 246254

TO ALL AND SUNDRY

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED I UPHOLD THE ED'S AUTHORITY TO DELETE.
I ONLY WANTED ADVICE ON A ROUTER. HOW DID I GET MIXED UP IN THIS MESS?

Post 994

Researcher 246254

TO ALL AND SUNDRY

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED I UPHOLD THE ED'S AUTHORITY TO DELETE.
I ONLY WANTED ADVICE ON A ROUTER. HOW DID I GET MIXED UP IN THIS MESS?

Post 995

Mal

I wasn't aware you were. How *are* you mixed up in it?

Post 996

SEF

In this case it was probably by getting lost, going to Askh2g2 to ask a question and replying to the first post of this thread instead.

Post 997

David Conway

smiley - space

Post 998

J

Hmm. I haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this has been said, but I thought I'd bring to all of your attention A684371 - The Decision to Drop the Atomic Bomb has been deleted, which as you can see from C782 was an edited entry smiley - erm

I can't find an original copy either.

smiley - blacksheep

Post 999

SEF

Whisky (U180644) and, more importantly, Halitröpe (U137187) had something to do with the article according to A652349.

Post 1000

J

smiley - smiley I think I saw the original entry then

Key: Complain about this post