A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 6821

Sho - employed again!

Websites/pages that seem to disable the back button.

WHY?

Oh and Mala, Move your monitor...
smiley - run

Petty Hates

Post 6822

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

Mala, try the WinDoze calculator switched to "scientific mode". When you try for tan(15°) and the result is your aunt´s birthday...well, it just has one of those bad hair days.smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 6823

Malabarista - now with added pony

There's nowhere *to* move the monitor!

Too late now anyway, I've already cut all the bits.

Petty Hates

Post 6824

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

"Websites/pages that seem to disable the back button."

It's so that you'll think "oh dear, I can't seem to get off this site - I know, I'll just stay here and buy something" smiley - laugh

If anyone has proof that this 'functionality' has ever had any effect other than extreme annoyance and a vow never to buy anything from that company, I'd love to see it.

Petty Hates

Post 6825

Winnoch, extreme annoyance is the main tool PR smiley - bleeps use.

Petty Hates

Post 6826

Aye, spotty-faced marketing geniuses straight out of marketing genius school. I really do dislike them and how much they rule the world these dayssmiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 6827

Malabarista - now with added pony

Just like all those sites that disable right clicks. Do they really think you're going to steal their stupid images? Since they're all at screen resolution anyway, if you really want them you can always take a screenshot.

Petty Hates

Post 6828

Anytime someone invents a TV that switches itself off and serves coffee until the ads are over - I solemly swear, whatever the price, I´ll buy it.

Petty Hates

Post 6829

"Just like all those sites that disable right clicks"

Odd you should say that.. I worked for a website once and we did indeed help ourselves to images off their sites for our own site smiley - evilgrin Not as bad as it sounds though- in most cases these were *supplier* sites who only had to gain from us using their images to sell their products...

So for the occasional supplier site that disabled right click, that just makes no sense. Retail sites I can kind-of understand. (their money, time and effort spent creating/copying the images). Though I believe that their are some pretty straightforward ways to disable the disable right-click functionality.. some browser settings might even do it.

Petty Hates

Post 6830

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

law.
college.
everything.

i could go on, i'm bloody fed up with it all.

Petty Hates

Post 6831

toybox

smiley - hugsmiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 6832

Never-mind Anna- one day after you're qualified, you'll be buying a half-million pound house and a 50 grand car with your Law degree acquired wages! If you've got an interest and aptitude for law, stick with it. There aint many poor lawyers around ....

Petty Hates

Post 6833

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

There's Matt Murdock.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 6834

You can call me TC

Talking of sales ploys that backfire:

Shops that have the heating up so high in the winter when you're wearing coat and scarf that

a. Either you take off your coat and have no hands free to examine the goods properly and get fed up with carrying so much, so you buy less than you intended, or nothing at all in your frustration.

b. You keep your coat on and have to leave after 10 minutes, not having bought anything, because it is so unbearably hot.

I realise that the shop assistants have to stand there all day in their indoor clothes, so really there doesn't seem to be an answer to this, but I genuinely have had to dump my choices without having bought anything and run out of a shop because I couldn't stand the heat any longer.

We don't all have wallahs trailing behind us to carry the shopping, our coats and scarves and our handbags, as well as push the baby's buggy and hold the toddler's hand while fishing out a purse and counting out money. (Yeah well, I know, my kids are now grown-up, but it doesn't seem long ago that I was in that situation)

Petty Hates

Post 6835

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

<>

or look at the source code and find the link to the image and grab it directly.smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 6836

Pink Paisley

MY petty hate of the day.

My wallah taking days off.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 6837

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

What's a "wallah"?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 6838

toybox

A castrated horse.

smiley - pony

Petty Hates

Post 6839

You can call me TC

A servant. There are "chai wallahs" (the tea boy) and - not sure of the spelling here - "panka wallahs" - those guys who wave palm leaves to cool you off.

I'm not sure of any details, not having been a part of the ruling class in colonial India smiley - tongueincheek. smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 6840

You can call me TC

And there are Dabbawalas - the "lunch box boy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabbawala

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more