A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 3721

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

Probably not, no, if it's a plane... well, some people are idiots. Astronomy is the study of space etc (I should know, I do it, like a geek nerd). Astrology is to do with the star signs.

Petty Hates

Post 3722

The Groob

I get a little grouchy when I see bookshops with the astrology books in the section clearly labelled as astronomy.

Petty Hates

Post 3723

Wand'rin star

I move them to another shelf (likewise creationism on the science shelf)smiley - starsmiley - star

Petty Hates

Post 3724

Runescribe

Wibble used to be my worst day at college. Double Physics, double Maths, then a free period and twilight Maths (twilight = the hour after school has ended for the non-sixth-formers.)
Wibble is now my best day. Two hours of lectures, with reasonable odds on an hour's lie-in, maths which I routinely skive off due to the uselessness of the teaching, and a completely free afternoon.
I take a proper degree. Our Wibble afternoons are a highly prized luxury.

Petty Hates

Post 3725

eloisa

Here's a nice specific petty hate.

Eating your breakfast in the shop, in the dark cos if you turn the lights on people try to come in, and dropping a little lump of egg mayo on the floor. Then changing into your work shoes and putting your bare foot on said item.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Petty Hates

Post 3726

You can call me TC

Oh yes - happens to me every day!!!

Petty Hates

Post 3727

Runescribe

Summer colds when you could otherwise have had studio time.

Petty Hates

Post 3728

eloisa

When your eyes start running just after you've put mascara on!

Petty Hates

Post 3729

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

When nothing comes in the way of writing and you know you have a week til NZ and you don't know should you take the stuff with you or not cos you might lose it… and bouncing emails between Ireland and Germany re the song thing… not easy. And trying to get vocal lessons organised before you go… I might leave it til I'm there. I don't know.

Argh!!!

Petty Hates

Post 3730

Yael Smith

My slow reflexes.

Petty Hates

Post 3731

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

When so-called historians say things like "Medieval longswords weighed 20 pounds" or "it was nearly impossible to move in armour".

Petty Hates

Post 3732

Yael Smith

Is this in a "surely you're making this up, mate" sort of way, or in an "I couldn't care less, you smiley - tit" sort of way? I tend towards the second way...

Petty Hates

Post 3733

I tend towards the first as both statements are provably false.

Petty Hates

Post 3734

Yael Smith

I see. Lying historians- that's just nasty!

Petty Hates

Post 3735

AgProv2

I did enough re-enctment training to know a sword might weigh ten or twelve pounds, but when it's swinging it generates a momentum of its own and the trick is stopping it!

As for the armour, a chain-mail suit might weigh thirty pounds and feel like a great big inert lump when you test the weight of it in your arms, but when it's on, the weight of the thing is evenly distributed around your upper body and you barely notice it's on after a while. Apparently plate armour has the same effect once on. after all, they had five hundred years of practice to design and refine the stuff for ease and comfort of use!

Petty Hates

Post 3736

toybox

smiley - biro the trick is stopping it!

Well, that's what your opponent is there for, isn't it? smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 3737

<>

Not even that... a longsword only weighs about three pounds and even a Zweihander (German greatsword) rarely exeeds six pounds.

Petty Hates

Post 3738

eloisa

Did you see 'Tough Gig' with the LARP guys? They seemed to have foam weapons!

Petty Hates

Post 3739

That's cos they do!

Which neatly leads into some LARP related petty hates:
Usage of obviously modern costume (like the people wearing camo gear).
Taking it too seriously.
Using the phrase 'many moons' when you can legitimately say 'six months' or whatever and still be in character.
Make-up that is supposed to be 'all exposed areas of skin' but doesn't cover ears/neck/hands/eyelids...

Petty Hates

Post 3740

eloisa

That many moons bit struck me as more than a little cheesy too!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more