A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 2281

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I agree about the gimp mask... I don't know why they bother, all the best splatter bands just look like normal guys. The bands who insist on wearing gimp masks and draping themselves with guts are just pants (apart from GWAR who are ace!)

Petty Hates

Post 2282

Although GWAR are more shock-rock.

Petty Hates

Post 2283

pffffft

See my experience of what I percieve as being that whole genre is based on the likes of 'Slipknot','Korn' or 'Death Radish' or whatever them freakies call themselves and it just leaves me stunned, and a bit disorientated. An acoustic version of 'Nothing Else Matters' by Metallica is usually about as hardcore as I go without having a nosebleed. Although I do own an 'autographed by all the band' copy of an Iron Maiden Tour programme from years and years ago. That kind of makes me a rocker.

Petty Hates

Post 2284

Slipknot? Korn? Nah... that's nu-metal (another petty hate of mine). I'm talking about stuff like Carcass, Gorerotted and Repulsion.

Petty Hates

Post 2285

Kat

I do like a rock out occasionally although I don't like a lot of skater punk - I found all the bands sound the same. There's a place for the mellow and a place for the rocky - if we could just rid the world of shit pop then it would all be ok.

Petty Hates

Post 2286

Skate punk is a petty hate of mine as well... punk ain't supposed to be about love!

Petty Hates

Post 2287

Carlyle Ferris

Drivers who think that indicators are an optional extra and that use them less than they use the electronic arse warmer or the automatic seat belt puller. Get a grip people, if you are going right use the indicator not the cigarrette lighter.

Braindeads who put rubbish out in thin plastic bags the "night before". We live in a land of cats, seagulls, crows.....They all want to feed and do not have the most tidy of habits. Buy a bin...£5.95 and it will last thirty years. What is so hard about that?

Petty Hates

Post 2288

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

Taps that are left running for no apparant reason whatsoever. It makes me wanna rip someones head off.

Also as there seems to be a musical theme going at the moment. Westlife. Why?? They are awful, almost every single song they destroy is a cover version. If they had talent or an original thought, their heads would explode..... Here's hoping!! If I have to hear one more stuide swwony girl going on about how fabulous the Westlife song, 'Mandy'is, I will not be held responsible for my actions.
Let me make this quite clear to every swoony teen out there: MANDY IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT A WESTLIFE SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a cover version of a Barry Manilow track. Now usually Im not high on the list of Barry Manilow fans, but that song had a special meaning, now due to its destruction by some braindead boyband, it has ruined my enjoyment!

Westlife, low life, go and get your own life!!! And your own songs!!! GRRRRR smiley - grr

And inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale!!

Willow

Petty Hates

Post 2289

Tomboygirl

People who slag off Westlife smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 2290

Boybands in general... they're all s**te!

Petty Hates

Post 2291

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Well i'm not a fan myself, but playing smiley - devil's advocate for a moment, simply saying they're sh*te doesn't make for a very constructive argument..

Would you like to explain to the class why precisely all boy bands are sh*te?smiley - bigeyes

Petty Hates

Post 2292

Carlyle Ferris

I think that Westlife made a profound statement about the modern world. They taught us that mediocrity is acceptable and actually to be striven for. That cloning is preferable to individuality. Better to have four or five clones than one great talent. They taught us that copying is more acceptable than originality, even to the point where their copies were indistinguishable from the originals. Originals, I might add, that in their time were at the cutting edge of music and indeed of instrumentation and production. They taught us that there is no imagination, no ambition and therefore no future in music. In short, thank god we are rid of them.

C

Petty Hates

Post 2293

AlexoOo

Closet Barry Manilow fans!

smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 2294

Kat

I agree ok reasoned arguement against boy bands they don't have any of the criteria which mark something down as being great - they are not original (they perform mainly cover versions which are watered down versions of the originals and the original songs they do perform are nine times out of ten mind-numblingly bland), there is no real passion behind the music nor attempt to do anything interesting or experimental with it nor is there a sense of humour or playfulness there - boy bands all look the same and sound the same - there isn't even a sense of flair or of escapist flamboyance which characterised pop acts of the early 80's and there is no equivalent of a Boy George - of someone who just had a great voice no matter what you thought of the material he was singing. If I have described more what they are not then what they are it's because they are so achingly bland there is nothing to be annoyed at except what they are not they are sort of elevator music. Really good music has something that engages you, boy bands have nothing. Dr Ferris will appreciate this knowing the source but a fictional character described them as making something like "excessively cheerful music performed by people chosen for their ability to dance".

Petty Hates

Post 2295

The Groob

Tis a funny world. You get people complaining about the lack of black acts at Live 8, but you never hear anyone complain about the lack of white acts at the MOBO's, or hear someone calling for MOWO awards.

Petty Hates

Post 2296

eloisa

Well, that would be racist wouldn't it? Um.....

Petty Hates

Post 2297

Carlyle Ferris

No. It's only racist if "reasonable" people would think it is racist. You had better pray that you don't live in Nazi Germany or in a society where lip rings and tattoos are the norm. Sorry, you can't pray if you are in Soviet Russia, you will have to write it. No, you may live in Zimbabwe where education is denied to the "other side. You'll have to explain it in the Newspapers. Oh dammit, can't do that in North Korea.

Lets just hope that our freedom to vote, write, speak, live outside of prison, walk in the street etc is never left to the jurisdiction of a "reasonable" person.

C

Petty Hates

Post 2298

Carlyle Ferris

Petty hate: People who read all the postings but never add one themselves so that you think you are the only one left alive on the internet.

Petty Hates

Post 2299

equestrian_statue

I don't think that I qualify for this conversation, as being over fifty years old, my petty hates have turned into full-blooded, red mist decending over the eyes, blood boiling, cardiac inducing, letter to my solicitor, threats to the fabric of life itself.

Petty Hates

Post 2300

villagepeople

People who have child on board stickers asking you to keep your distance. Then they drive a like plonkers shouting at there kids, not looking at the road, not signalling, being difficult letting you overtake.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more