A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 2261

equestrian_statue

PUBLIC TRANSPORT: Having had to endure the ordeal of having to catch a bus to work this past week, with a public bus company whose buses sometimes does'nt even turn up, that treats its fare paying passengers like potential concentration camp internees, that has the comfort of a sardine can without the oil, that is staffed by employees who, when you ask them to change a fiver, look at you as if you've just crawled out from beneath a rock, that puts on mini-buses at peak times, so you have to stand for most of the journey, that in order to try to make some extra revenue, takes protracted detours around endless housing estates without picking up a single person.

Petty Hates

Post 2262

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

you're lucky they still give change
around here its exact fare only

Petty Hates

Post 2263

AlexoOo

I know exactly how you feel. I own a private car. I used to take the bus to work, but it took at least half an hour longer each way, I had to walk nearly a mile to the bus stop, and then half a mile again at the other end, then run for a bus or wait half an hour for the next one when I finished work. It was cheaper to get the bus than to own a car, but a damn sight less convenient!

Petty Hates

Post 2264

Carlyle Ferris

People who put free papers half in and half out of my letter box thus allowing a cold draught in all day long. Who ever reads the damn things anyway?

Petty Hates

Post 2265

equestrian_statue

Please don't think me rude doctor, but perhaps you should go out a bit more

Petty Hates

Post 2266

AlexoOo

Yeah, so we can burgle your house!

Petty Hates

Post 2267

Carlyle Ferris

If I was in I could pull the damn things through!

Petty Hate..Norah Jones...What a chronically boring voice.

Carlyle [Dr. Entomology]

Petty Hates

Post 2268

Kat

After hearing most of the songs I grew up loving being brutually slaughtered over the years I've grown immune to anything so-called "musical" really annoying me that my mates calling me a musical fascist because I have voiced the opinion that I see no artistic merit whatsover in boy, girl and pap bands of mixed gender such as "Steps".

Although the fact that people recently voted Robbie Williams the best artist of the nineties from a list of nominations that included Nirvana, Radiohead and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers did make me feel somewhat peeved although not as much as when he made the Top 10 list for most influencial artist of the decade in a poll done about five years ago - you what? smiley - erm. I mean the guy's ok for an ex-boy band artist with somewhat lightweight material and he's even got the odd good song but the way he seems to be regarded as if he's the best thing since the Beatles peeves me. I also think Oasis are not even a quarter as good as most people, including them, think they are - that irks me too - smiley - run(ducking flying objects on the way out) .

Petty Hates

Post 2269

Pastey

Nope, I agree with you on that one vamp.

smiley - rose

Petty Hates

Post 2270

pffffft

I am a musical snob. I realise this. I am trying to come to terms with it. I am trying to get over it. To understand that one persons musical taste is as diverse and just as justified as the next persons. I am learning to respect what other peoples ears choose.

But I nearly punched the telly a few years ago when 'The Sun Rising', one of my all time favorite mellow dance tracks, was used on an Advert for Alpen.

A beautiful, sensual slice of ambient heaven selling out for a pot of bleedin meusli. Whyioughta.

Petty Hates

Post 2271

HonestIago

Exam colds. I'm perfectly healthy until I step foot into an exam hall. Cue hours of sniffling and annoying everyone else and me not being able to concentrate because I've got to blow my nose. I finish the exam and I'm miraculously okay
smiley - grr Iago

Petty Hates

Post 2272

Kat

I know what you mean about adverts pfff although I've grown immune to that too. I find it quite funny actually how the Manic Street Preachers "Motorcycle Emptiness" a scathing critique on consumerism with lines like "life sold cheaply forever" is now used to advertise some mobile telephone network - methinks the Manics may have sold out a tad here as the song went "this wonderful world of purchase power". I think you've got to laugh at this phenomenom lest it make you cry - McCartney wasn't too chuffed that Wacko Jacko who now ownes the right to all Beatles songs ok'ed the use of "Revolution" in a Nike ad. On the upside it does mean that your favourite song may find it's way to a new audience. I hate to admit this - but I discovered the Velvet Underground through "Venus in Furs" being used in an ad for tyres.

Petty Hates

Post 2273

Kat

BTW - I assume you are refered to the track by the Beloved - I liked that one too.

Petty Hates

Post 2274

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

I, too, am a musical snob... petty hate of mine is mellow dance (well, dance in general to be more accurate) smiley - nahnah

What really bugged me was hearing "Nervous Breakdown" by Black Flag on a Wanadoo advert.

Petty Hates

Post 2275

The Groob

There's an advert out for an album featuring a single that the voiceover describes as 'anthem of the year'. Who says it's anthem of the year? I don't remember any poll to vote for anthem of the year.

Petty Hates

Post 2276

Anything that states something is the X of the year when the year isn't finished gets on my wick.

Petty Hates

Post 2277

pffffft

The Beloved indeed smiley - biggrin

movement outside,
silence inside,
restless lover, spread your wings
as the day begins

OoooOOOooOOOOooOOOoeeeeOOOoOOOOo

it's just the sun rising

Their first album 'Happiness' is brilliant...

As for the manics, I remember reading once when they first came out that they would make one awesome album and then disband, integrity in tact. They made an album, made some money, and thought disband, nah, we'll make another, and they're still going.

I think the worst, after getting over any sell outs, is when you hear a track on an advert, really like it, but then can't find out it's name so you go around everyone asking 'if they've seen the new advert with that car in it going along the seafront and there's all these reflections and the music is all piano and floaty' (it was aqualung btw)

Petty Hates

Post 2278

pffffft

<>

Mr D Noooooooooo

*falls down arms outstretched a la platoon*

Everybody should love mellow dance, a bit of ambient a day does the world a power of good.

Petty Hates

Post 2279

<>

Nah... a good dose of splatter/grind does me a power of good.

Petty Hates

Post 2280

pffffft

Grind.

pah

we shall have to agree to differ amigo.

Imho some animal entrails, a spikey gimp mask and a bass guitar does not a musician make. Flowered up floaty beats win hands down every time.

Peace smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post