A Conversation for Ask h2g2

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 21

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

'Titanic' five places above 'A Matter of Life and Death'? smiley - cross You gotta admit though, the one with Kenneth More, although good entertainment, was by no means a great movie.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 22

the autist formerly known as flinch

This show was a repeat though. I was sad enough to sit and watch it all when it was on last year. And to watch the even worse american film industry top 100 (hosted by Harrison Ford) six months ago.

Does anyone know exactly how this CH4 list was drawn up?

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 23

Saturnine

*Titanic* should be prohibited from calling itself a film...

Rebel Without a Cause should be in the top 20...

Was East of Eden in there? How about Village of the Damned? Saturday Night Sunday Morning? Up the Junction? ALL great old films...the last two are British films too...

And why are animations never considered authentic films? Fantasia is one of the BEST films to have ever been made...simply because it is hard to determine which came first - the visuals or the music...

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 24

Pastey

I agree with Satunine (this is getting a habit) that Stigmata should be in there. Was it in the 100 at all? I only watched it for the first time a couple of days ago, but am constantly watching it since, even now while I'm at work I've got it playing on the laptop.

Have to disagree about Bladerunner (sorry Sat), but with the voice over it's horrid, without the voice over it relies a lot more on the feel the director tried to put into it, and you actually get to see what the film was supposed to be like.

Can't beleive that a Star Wars film made it in the top 10 let alone number 1. I'm a fan of Star Wars sure, but they weren't *that* good.

I'm not sure about Pulp Fiction being there, on the one hand I want to say "Yeah!" but on the other I keep thinking "why?"

smiley - rose

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 25

PQ

Titanic was worth watching if only to see leonardo di caprio dyingsmiley - smiley

I've seen 10 and 1/4 (crouching tiger hidden dragon smiley - yawn).

I'm not a film buff, of the top 20 my favourite is some like it hot...but singin in the rain is 100 times better.

Watched gladiator again over christmas...I still don't get itsmiley - erm, testosterone violence interspersed with soppy nonsense.

And so far as star wars goes the latest one is the best...amidala smuggling peanuts for 30 minutes will improve any filmsmiley - winkeye

I like jaws though

I think I prefer certain films because of the things that happened in my life around the same time, like a visual sound track to my life...well thats my excuse for liking robin hood men in tights and jurassic park 2smiley - blush I wouldn't say they were great though.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 26

Pastey

Robin Hood - Men in Tights is very funny though, a great send up of Prince of theives "Because, unlike like some others I speak with a *Real* English accent" smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

smiley - rose

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 27

PQ

The main reaosn I like it is because it came out when me my sister a few friends where going through a star trek TNG phase, at the end when king richard took off his helmet we all shouted (very loudly from the back row) "It's Jean Luc Picard!"smiley - silly

Not to mention "We're men (manly men) we're men in tights, we roam around the forest looking for fights"

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 28

Pastey

"Tight tights!" smiley - laugh

smiley - rose

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 29

Pastey

Mind you, have you seen "The Princess Bride"? Another with Carey Elwis or whatever his name is, that takes complete mick of fairy talessmiley - laugh

smiley - rose

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 30

PQ

Oooh I'd forgotten about the princess bride (adds it to list of dvd's to buy when the boat comes in).

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 31

Pastey

First one I bought actually, the video had worn outsmiley - laugh

smiley - rose

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 32

Saturnine

Ooh. If you like Stigmata folks, then pop along to the Peer Review, because I have an article in there on that very film that could do with some criticism...it's at : A895061 ( I think that's the right link anyway)...

Actually, the Leonardo Dicaprio slander is a little unfair. He has been in some amazing films - the Gilbert Grape one, The Basketball Diaries...and one called "Eclipse" where he plays a gay poet...

Not to mention the lucious Romeo and Juliet - you can't deny that that is a spectacular film!!!

This is definitely proving that the list was bulls**t...

Star Wars...sheesh. The muppets spoof was better...

"Star Trekking across the universe"

smiley - laugh

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 33

Mister Matty

"Does anyone know exactly how this CH4 list was drawn up?"

Channel 4 viewers voted for them, apparently.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 34

Saturnine

I was told earlier that it was a repeat from last year...

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 35

Teasswill

Hence none of the latest blockbusters in it!

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 36

Saturnine

There weren't any decent films out this year (aside for LOTR TTT) that would even be considered decent watching...

...were there?

smiley - erm

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 37

Ellen

Catch Me If You Can is excellent. The book it's based on is great too.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 38

Ellen

I like the C4 list, some of my favorite films are on it. And Empire is my favorite film, I think it is the best of the Star Wars movies.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 39

the autist formerly known as flinch

Good films this year?

Bowling for Columbine
All or Nothing
Secret Ballot
Talk to Her
He Loves Me He Loves Me Not

I'd recommend all of the above off the top of my head.

C4's 100 greatest films

Post 40

osiris-

Donnie Darko was a really good film. Definitely better than some of the rubbish that made it into the top 100 list.

Signs, 28 Days Later, The Bourne Identity, One Hour Photo, Road To Perdition and Rules of Attraction were all decent films too.

Key: Complain about this post