A Conversation for Ask h2g2

ID Cards - What's the problem ?

Post 161

Ancient Brit

Thanks for the URL Potholer, the related links make interesting reading.
There seems to be no doubt that the ID Card will come in through the front door.
All indications are it will carry a photograph linked to iris recognition. That's all that's needed to establish a true personal identity (ie a modern day replacement of the birth certificate). I wonder what form of inducement (monetary or otherwise) will be invented to smooth it's acceptance. Let's hope that when it is introduced it is used wisely and effectively.
The debate moves on to a higher level. I rest my case.

Post 162

fords - number 1 all over heaven

And it's wise to have such high-level identity? Doesn't it scare you in the least?

Post 163

Ancient Brit

No ..smiley - ok

Post 164

E G Mel

It scares me that people are so worried about it. It says something about our society today that they would rather keep their anonymity than aid the authorities with cutting down on crime.

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 165

Xanatic

Goverments haven't exactly showed much in the way of ethics and efficiency have they?

I found the link about biometric scanners quite interesting. Seems most of them could be fooled using really simple techniques. Invite your boss over for dinner, take his fingerprint off the glass and voila, you have access to his safe.

Post 166

Ancient Brit

Well said Mel..smiley - ok

Post 167

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

I agree with Mel as well.

Also, Xanatic, I don't think that getting the boss's fingerprints off a glass is still a bit too far-fetched and not that easily done.

Post 168

E G Mel

Which is another reason for suggesting iris scanners, 'here sir let me just take a close up photo of your eye that you use to access all your security details' smiley - winkeye

Have had a go with them when they were in the dome, they were a little unreliable but then all new technology is!

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 169

GreyDesk

What's wrong with them? Well its yet another thing to have to lug around with you and lose at the most inopportune moment. Will replacement cards be free? Yeah, right!

Post 170

Ross

Lifting fingerprints from smooth surfaces such as glass is easy - anyone with a little knowledge and a few minutes to spare can do it.

There is currently no such thing as a secure computer system as numerous security crackers regularly prove (ditto with hackers but they do it for malicious reasons) - so how do we stop the technologically aware and capable from perpetrating identity theft - its already happening in the USA (a number of people have been prosecuted for the crime of identity theft).

Everyone has a price - the only person I trust to keep my identity secure is me! I certainly dont trust underpaid and overworked civil servants.

I do not believe that our government is malign or would use identity cards for any particularly untowards purposes - however I do believe that they, the civil service and its structures, the police etc. are institutionally incompetent as well as on the whole being institutionally racist, homophobic and sexist.

Yes you are right our privacy is constantly being invaded, by the likes of CCTV systems, in the name of crime prevention - but given the latest crime stats has it worked? or has it just moved crime to areas where there are no CCTV systems? how would ID cards stop street crime? would the mugger hacve to show you and the CCTV cameras their ID before they committed the robbery?

We also allow our privacy to be invaded, in a sense, by the suppliers of electronic payment systems (debit and credit cards, online banking etc.), our mobile phone company - oh yes why did the government want to have access to ALL our phone records without a warrant?

No I am not paranoid

I dont think they are out to get me.

I however do want a restoration of the balance between the privacy of the individual and the needs of society to know who I am.

Xanaticaphobia

Post 171

Ancient Brit

Sorry - I'll try to redirect you...smiley - smiley
Definition - Fear of passports. ?

Xanaticaphobia

Post 172

Ancient Brit

Correction - Its my age you know..smiley - smiley
Definition - Fear of ID Cards.

Rossmania

Post 173

Ancient Brit

smiley - smiley
Definition :- An excessive enthusiasm in the belief that - "the civil service and its structures, the police etc. are institutionally incompetent as well as on the whole being institutionally racist, homophobic and sexist."

Rossmania

Post 174

Ross

So AB its down to petty childish insult time then.

the Mcpherson (sp?) report clearly indicated that the police are racist, nothing that i have seen in the last 40 years has convinced that the other organs of the state are any different.

Of course in your infinite wisdom you may know better so please enlighten us rather than dish out petty and frankly feeble insults.

Rossmania

Post 175

Ancient Brit

No offence meant only trying to help.
The point that I have been trying to make since posting 1 is that I believe people would carry an ID Card given the right inducement.

Re-Rossmania
I have a tendancy towards it myself. Hoever I also happen to believe that having a personal identity that I could prove beyond doubt would go long way to relieve it. Unfortunately you don't seem to agree, so you must find your own solution to your problem.
Please treat Rossmania as a means to that end...smiley - ok

Rossmania

Post 176

Xanatic

When I got a credit card some years ago, I had to give them a photo of me, and it ended up on the credit card. I am amazed that not all credit cards have that. It would not prevent fraud, but certainly there would be less stealing of them.

However, does anyone have a good idea for a safe ID card system then?

Rossmania

Post 177

fords - number 1 all over heaven

*looks over at AncientBrit*

Rossmania

Post 178

E G Mel

*Gives fords a smiley - redwine*

If there were a fool proof secure system it would currently be in use, but at the moment I believe the system people are discussing introducing has to be more secure than the current one, improvements on the current system are the only way we will ever reach the perfect system.

Don't think it will be safer..... I can copy my mums signature well enough to use her visa (if I were corrupt enough) I wouldn't know where to start with faking an iris scan or even for that matter the bog standard fingerprint, let alone make myself look like her photo. Even if it did only eliminate the opportunist credit card fraud it is a step in the right direction.

Mel smiley - hsif

Rossmania

Post 179

Xanatic

Well, the iris and the fingerprints will probably be on the card in a digital form. And we all know how easy it is to copy that. So would that be any security?

Rossmania

Post 180

E G Mel

I thought the smartcard would hold an encrypted ID number which when linked to (for example) the banks database would pull up your scan to be compared to the one you provide.

Therefore the banks database would need to be hacked (not impossible I know, they already do it everyday!) Or the details on your card would need to be altered which would just link it to someone elses accounts... therefore not your problem.

Mel smiley - hsif

Key: Complain about this post