A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 3961

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I now have a mental picture of a guy presenting at A&E with burnt ears.

Post 3962

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Cornwell's Excalibur series is awesome! (IMO). I read it back in about 2000, and it's brilliant in my view. smiley - magic

Post 3963

Sho - employed again!

it's ok, but it's not as good as the other two. I'm glad I know what finally happened to Derfel though.

Now reading Guns Germs & Steel, which I've had on the shelf for ages.

Post 3964

azahar

Finally finished the Tom Holt (In Your Dreams). Glad that's over with - won't be buying any more of his.

I forgot the name of the Sally Lockhart book when I was at the bookshop the other day (they didn't have any of the series so I'll have to order it) and so I bought The Accidental by Ali Smith. Which, according to the Observer blurb on the front cover, is "Delicious, funny, sexy, poignant, bewitching".

Delicious? smiley - erm

Anyhow, have just started it . . .

az

Post 3965

Jemstone

Just finished Lightening by Dean Koontz which was pretty good, although I slowed down reading at the end when I normally can't put it down during the cliffhanger endings. I visited my fab charity book shop on Friday and managed to pick up another Koontz book, Fear Nothing for a bargain price of £1! Started it over the weekend and am finding it hard to get into, but I will stick with it as Koontz has never let me down yet!

Post 3966

A Super Furry Animal

I finished The People's Act Of Love at the weekend. This is a seriously good book. I may have to investigate Mr. Meek further for my holiday reading - has anyone read any of his other works?

Now reading...nothing. Waiting for someone to finish The English y Jeremy Paxman so I can read it next.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3967

Cheerful Dragon

Started reading Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin yesterday. I'm already about a quarter of the way through it. It's pretty good so far.

Post 3968

I think 'The Peoples...' is James Meek's first novel. He's normally a Grauniad journalist (their Moscow correspondent for a few years). He was included in the complilation of Scottish Writers, 'The Children of Albion Rovers'.

Some critics dismissed 'The Peoples...' as a rather good adventure novel. I reckon it's a lot deeper than that.

Post 3969

night-eyes

Finished "The Big Over Easy" by Jasper Fforde couple of weeks ago. I really liked it and felt a bit sorry when it was over! Though I have to admit I found it a tiny bit difficult to read - not being British meant troubles with cultural references... Haven't been brought up with Humpty Dumpty after all smiley - winkeye
And now I am re-reading some old books, while looking for something new and exciting! Hopefully coming soon!smiley - smiley

Post 3970

Presumably you're now going on to read Fforde's 'Thursday Next' books?

Post 3971

pedro

Finished 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond. It's about how various societies have collapsed due to environmental factors, and is extremely interesting, very well researched, and more than a bit worrying. Any parallels to our global society have been left up to the reader. Definitely recommended.

Back to Vernon God Little now.

Post 3972

Cheerful Dragon

Just starting Attila the Hun by John May. It will be interesting to compare what May has to say about him with what Terry Jones said about him in the Barbarians programme.

Post 3973

Milos

Jemstone, isn't Fear Nothing about the guy who has to be in darkness all the time? There were two books that Koontz used the same characters in, I can't remember if that one is the first or the second, but I liked the first better.

Trying to finish Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey. Having trouble because I skipped ahead and discovered my favourite character dies... I HATE it when I do that (but I can't seem to help myself).

Post 3974

Jemstone

Hi Milos

Yes that's the one - The character Chris Snow has a disease where he can't be in the sun or even bright light. I've read another one with him in called Sieze the Night. The other character Koontz has used a couple of times is Odd Thomas who I love. I hope you enjoy Godslayer even though you do know the fate of your favourite character!

Post 3975

Sho - employed again!

got Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich yesterday. I have about 3 chapters to go which will accompany me watching the Holland/Argentina doo-dah tonight.
smiley - ok

Post 3976

walpol

Lance Armstrong "Every second counts"

Fantastic book by a (Lucky) guy. This book should inspire anyone to live their lives to the maximum. Who knows what is around the next corner.
Certa Cito Walpol

Post 3977

Wiz Wiz

Well into "Titus Alone", the final part of Gormenghast.

I'm sure I read it years & years ago, some of it is familiar other bits not.

Post 3978

Red Supergiant

"Female Chauvinist Pigs" by Ariel Levy.

Post 3979

MrMaven

Walpol

Totaly agree with you on how good a book that is. Have you tried either of Ellen Mcarthurs books.

Peter

Post 3980

nicki

currently reading man and boy by tony parsons

Key: Complain about this post