A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 4021

Kandarian

Just read last week the new Salman Rushdie's "Shalimar the clow", very good. And also the "Three Kings" trilogy from john L. Chalker.

I am now reading "Evangelho segundo Jesus cristo" of the only portuguese literature nobel prize winner. Very hard to read, but worth the try.

Next i am hoping to get the last book of terry pratchett.

smiley - tea

Post 4022

You can call me TC

Have just finished something or other by Kingsley Amis. Ghastly. As ever, you end up convinced the man's a pervert. The Egyptological Society or some such. Don't bother.

Post 4023

A Super Furry Animal

"The Egyptologists". Very funny book. Classic Amis.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4024

A Super Furry Animal

I have three new books to read:

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
The Meaning Of Tingo, by Adam Jacoit de Boinod
Blood & Sand, by Frank Gardner

Which should I tackle first? Any thoughts? Anyone read any of these books?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4025

Jemstone

Sorry RF, I've not read any of those so I can't offer an opinion on your starting book. I visited my wonderful charity book shop again today and got another 4. Going away from my usual type of read, I'm starting with Memoirs of a Geisha and will then go onto a Joanne Harris book - she wrote Chocolat, which I loved. Can't remember what this one is called but I'm guessing she likes her food themes because this one is something to do with crepes!

Post 4026

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Oh, Atlas Shrugged! I shall be interested to see your reaction to that!

Ayn rand was basically a cult leader by the end of her life.

There is a lot to be said about that book (1200 pages in my edition, 10c from a second hand shop in the 90s)

Post 4027

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Yes. There's a *lot* to be said about Ayn Rand. smiley - steam

Post 4028

MrMaven

Personaly I'd be interested in how you get on with Blood and Sand. Have read quite a few autobiographies but not that one. Let me know when you've finished it.

Post 4029

Just started 'Spoken Here: Travels Amongst Threatened Languages' by Mark Abley.

Post 4030

gadarene

Hello Aurora,

I was going to advise you to persevere with Pi - but you've finished it. I hated the island, but probably that's my extremely simple world view coming through, and ridiculous desire to understand and explain everything.

It is one of my favourite books, it is wonderful.

It is also the only book which has caused me to go and buy some bananas and find out if they float. It is the first thing I ask of people who have read the book:

"so, do bananas float?"

So, do they?

(To clarify to anyone who hasn't read The Life of Pi: Pi's story has very few verifiable aspects when it comes to the matter of insurance - one is the ability of bananas to float)

I love the book - Richard Parker is a superb creation.

Cheers,

G

Post 4031

Steve K.

I just finished "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Stross, a long novella. I'm not usually a fan of horror a la Stephen King, but this was a mix of a lot of things. I agree with this reviewer at Amazon:

The novel is a neat mix of horrific fantasy -- demons and Lovecraftian monsters and the like -- with smart contemporary SF. Add aspects of spy thrillers and Dilbertian office comedy, and throw in Nazis and nasty Islamists and a very secret branch of British Intelligence. It's told very wittily, though the central horrors are still pretty scary. The overall tone is snarky and fun, not horrific.

END QUOTE

I think Douglas Adams would have liked it.

Post 4032

Spaceechik, Typomancer

*IS* there a last book of Terry Pratchett? smiley - winkeye

SC

Post 4033

A Super Furry Animal

No. They're actually written by computer.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4034

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Atlas Shrugged, aka as the Libertarian Bible, is a good book -- as long as you recognize when the character has mounted their soapbox, and skip ahead 2-3 pages...

Seriously, Ayn Rand is good, just "windy".

But then, who *is* John Galt?

SC

Post 4035

A Super Furry Animal

Hmm. Interesting opinions that people have about Ayn Rand.

Me, of course, am a total thickie, and didn't realise any of this before ORDERING THE BOOK FOR MYSELF. Why did I do that? Bob knows.

So, er, yes, thank you people. Now I'm going to read the book and judge for myself.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4036

Ayn Rand is foul, foul stuff. Don't get me started!

Post 4037

pedro

Finished Life of Pi last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't really know what to make of it yet, I suspect I'll mull it over over the next few days.

Gave up on Vernon God Little. I think some Rebus is in order. I quite like them, and I need something straightforward at the mo.

Post 4038

Ooh! I really liked Vernon God Little - even though I didn't think I was going to. I thought of him as a modern-day Holden Caulfield.

Post 4039

Aurora

I didn't have to persevere with reading Life of Pi, gadarene. It was one of those books I could hardly stop reading. smiley - smiley You do realise you've made me want to go and buy a banana just to see if it floats? smiley - tongueout

I've just finished re-reading Human Croquet by Kate Atkinson. Not sure what to read next.

Post 4040

A Super Furry Animal

I copp[ed out and started reading The Meaning Of Tingo. Good train reading, but probably won't last me long.

If the weather's nice tomorrow, I may take Atlas Shrugged to the park with me and make a start on it.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post