A Conversation for Tea

Douglas's Tea piece

Post 1

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Douglas, thanks for explaining something that's bothered me for years: the American penchant for keeping tea-bag and warm water separated when delivering tea (only noticed in restaraunts; never offered tea in an American home). The only other insult to tea-drinking is the habit of using styrofoam cups instead of enamel/china ones.
My Mum always insisted on one tea-bag for a enormous pot (enough for six or fewer people to imbibe), and used to go spare if the tea had not steeped for 5 minutes precisely.
Part of the American confusion, in addition to wretched tea-serving practices, is the lack of "tea-time: that period in the day when everyone can relax for a minute and have tea. Coffee is the poison of choice in America (and most other places, by now), and I suspect this is to rev the body up to the point where it can compete with the electrons that flow through our computers.
Additionally, I keep running into flack for wanting Guinness served WARM. Where the majority of North America seeks a cold beer in the sun or shade, I insist on Guinness (or whatever's available) served warm (on those rare occasions that I'm seen drinking). What nobody here appears to know is that English beer is SUPPOSED to be served warm. It really doesn't feel right if it's been fridged (is that a word? It is now.).

Roger

Douglas's Tea piece

Post 2

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Hey Roger, you won't need reminding that Guinness is Irish. It used to be served at room temperature several years ago, until the company panicked about designer chilled beers and lack of penetration of the youth market. They then decreed that all Guinness be served chilled. And you're right - it doesn't taste as good. An Irish woman I met in a fake Irish bar here in Edinburgh said some of them in the Oud Country take to microwaving a glass for two seconds. Get THAT wrong and you'll be cleaning your microwave out for weeks...

Douglas's Tea piece

Post 3

ZZ9ZZZ ALPHA

My Nan always used to make tea in a big brown teapot which she always kept on the range (always warm), she always put in one teabag for each person and one for the pot.

Douglas's Tea piece

Post 4

Researcher 47503

Nope, one teaspoon of tea for each person and then one for the pot. The tea-bag *must* be an american invention!

Douglas's Tea piece

Post 5

Fluff McFluffy a.k.a Fluffy the Vampire Slayer

Aren't Teabags carcenegenic? The bags them selves of course, not the tea.

Warm beer

Post 6

Mr Wizard

I was once told that the reason the English like their beer warm is that they brew there beer differantly than most other cultures. Germans, Americans, brew there beer cold and drink it cold. The English brew their beer warm and drink it warm. Think so? I drink me beer warm but for another reason. I have lived in the American western deserts most of my life and drinking ice-cold drinks when the temp is running at 115+ is not very good for you. You also have to remember to keep you beer out of the sun to help stop them from exploding. True story

Chef Michael

Warm beer

Post 7

Bald Bloke

Ah the great warm beer myth smiley - smiley

Ales and indeed most good beers should be served at natural cellar temprature, Between 50 and 55 degrees F or 10 - 12 C.

I'm in the UK so this also happens to be the sub soil tempreture a couple of feet down, hence the reference to natural cellar temprature.

I wonder if that hold good where you are out in the desert(worth an experiment? let us know what happens!

At this temprature the beer is cool enough to be refreshing without being so cold as to kill the taste.

My experience is that beers which are served ice cold are tasteless and when some of them warm up you realise why they serve them cold!
URGH!!

Warm beer

Post 8

Mr Wizard

Where I live now It's a bit more mild In fact it is snowing. I now reside in Utah on the slopes of the Rocky Mountains. I have been told by "experts" that the proper temp. for beer is 45 degrees. I do agree with you that most people that drink ice cold beer have never tasted what they are drinking and in my opinion don't want to. Proabition(?) in the USA destroyed the appreciation for good beer. People here now have what I call soda pop and fast food paletes. If something tastes differant it's wrong. It's hard to be a chef and face a population that refuses to try anything new. The Olympics will be here in 2002 and the most popular spot in town is Mcducks.
Sorry for the food rage I get that way sometimes.
I am new here and it was nice to speak with you
Chef Michael (aka Mr. Wizard)

Warm beer

Post 9

james007

I like warm beer and I like cold beer - it depends how the beer was meant to be tested, I suppose.

Can't stand warm lager. Love very rich warm porters. Yum.

Key: Complain about this post