This is the Message Centre for Evangeline

Dear British Petroleum

Post 61

Evangeline

That is more snow than I have ever seen. Considered buying either the 'amish electric fireplace' or the quartz heater Bob Vila was promoting because central heat does not do much for this house.

Would 'he's a fluffy cat that likes to cuddle' make a difference?

Dear British Petroleum

Post 62

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

There are many cats in my area who need homes -- not that I'm likely to take them in either. smiley - winkeye

Dear British Petroleum

Post 63

Evangeline

If this one keeps singing on my bedroom window (inside) in the middle of the night, he'll need a new home.

It's sunny and warmer now. I'm enjoying it as much as I can because next it's three days of rain then colder temperatures again.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 64

Rain I could take. It's the snow that we don't have any room for.
I don't know what to tell you about the cat's singing. I wonder if there's a way to trick him by installing speakers in different corners of the house and playing noises of running mice from them. The cat will be so exhausted chasing the nonexistent mice that he'll be too tired to sing.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 65

Evangeline

I'm used to rain, can even drive in it. That reminds me, I need to replace the wiper blades Monday. I've only driven in snow once. I had to pull over and wait for a couple of hours because it was too white to see anything. The other times it was snow mixed with rain that melted as it hit the car and road, so that was more like driving through thick rain.

I cooked a lot Monday evening, so this weekend it's finishing off the leftovers.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 66

Saturday is when I do most of my cooking. The rest of the week is either leftovers or eating out. smiley - smiley

Dear British Petroleum

Post 67

j_z_d

Hello!smiley - biggrinHow've you been? We had some colder than usual weather earlier in the month of January & a Real dump of snow. Some residential side-streets, crescents & cul-de-sacs were pretty much impassable unless you had snow shoes, skies or a Really good 4X4. In fact the mayor had appologized-once they got things pretty much under control-for not doing more earlier. Now, for the last week or so-it's been quite a bit warmer & alot of that snow is melting, making for some Huge puddles. But some of the older areas with big taller houses(that provide a fair bit of shade) still have alot of snow, especially the huge piles cleared off the street. And speaking of 'cleared off', often when you see a parking lot there's at least one Huge mountain/pile of snow that's been cleared.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2011/01/08/edm-winter-snow-storm.html

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Canada/Gallery+Winter+Edmonton/3966753/story.html

or http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Wunter+Albert/4081237/story.html (keep clickin', lots of photos)

Dear British Petroleum

Post 68

Evangeline

smiley - wow That's a lot of snow. Did you have a lot of electricity loss due to the ice and snow?

I like the squirrel and fountain pictures best. smiley - smiley

I've managed to not get stuck in my car so far this winter. Local schools closed Thursday and Friday due to possible icing. There was ice by Friday morning, but not in the areas I drive. I didn't have any problems getting to work. Getting out of work was another story, which had nothing to do with the weather. Still haven't found the answer to making this house warmer. I've prepared my car better with an emergency kit including a weather band radio. Might order some winter clothes at the end of season sales, for next winter. Don't need hot water bottles as the smiley - cats work better and even purr. smiley - winkeye

People are complaining about the winter being colder and colder for longer, down here. I remember past winters that were more intense. Maybe it's age or selective memory.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 69

Since you seem to need your smiley - catsmiley - cat for their warmth and soundtracks, I take it that you no longer want the operatic one to go to a new home? smiley - winkeye

Dear British Petroleum

Post 70

Evangeline

Depends on if I find him a good home. He seems like he'd do well in a single cat home.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 71

j_z_d

Good to hear that you haven't gotten stuck in the car. Awhile back-mid Dec., it seems-east(up nearer the Michigan & the Great Lakes(& yeah, closer to Paul too)a number of drivers were snowed in overnight. Or at least they would've been forced to spend the night in their cars(due partially to weather/snowfall as well as a road closure). Fortunately police on snowmobiles were mobilized along with a nearby army base. With the snowmobiles & a couple army helicopters everyone was taken to the nearest town where the townspeople gave them a warm welcome(offering showers, hot meals & even cots in the community hall).smiley - ok I don't imagine that even a smiley - cat snuggled up & purring away would get me through a night confined to my vehicle.

I suspect our memories of past winters are influenced both by age & to an extent selective memory. But climate change seems to be playing a part as well & according to journalist Mark Hertsgaard(who I saw a brief TV interview with), it'll play an increasingly bigger role in years to com. The interview-just a short clip online now, hopefully more will be added http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/guest-page/mark-hertsgaard.html was in part a discussion of his smiley - book Hot: Living Through The Next Fifty Years On Earth - http://tanjoolee.posterous.com/book-review-hot-by-mark-hertsgaardsmiley - erm When asked what country was doing the best/taking the most action against climate cxhange, he asked if he could cite a region & named Scandinavia. His answer when asked who was doing the worst, his own county-the U.S.(which could include Canada, since we're following America's lead in that area).

Dear British Petroleum

Post 72

Evangeline

In December 2008, 'flurries that won't stick' turned into (officially) 'the deepest heaviest snowfall in living memory for this area'. That was the morning I was stuck in my car for over two hours to just turn around and go back home to a freezing cold house with no electricity (no heat). The next time I went in to work early, left 8 hours or so later, to get home early and drove in just the beginning of rain/snow/sleet. Last Feb. I worked from home, adding inventory worksheets instead of even trying to drive around the snow because the forecast wasn't clear on time. It snowed for about two hours (7-9 a.m.) yielding about six inches across the roads and grass. We don't have snow plows, or trucks to grit the roads. It's best to stay off the roads. It would take two or three smiley - cats for overnight in a car.

Winters:

1973, my brothers building a snowman. 1978, snow again.

1981, Dad in hospital with asthma while it rained and iced for a couple of days while we were stuck at home with no electricity for a night or two.

1982, three days of rain during the day and freezing at night which snapped power lines over a large chunk of Louisiana. Almost as soon as the lines were repaired, they'd freeze and snap again.

1984, Two huge icicles formed on the inside of my window screen (between screen and glass), I put them in the freezer. The Siamese smiley - cat would beg to be let out of my room to sleep on the sofa to warm up. It dipped down to 9F and school still wasn't closed. Dad made me stay home because our school only allowed the uniform skirts no trousers, sweatpants, jeans, leg warmers or boots.

1988, snow and freezing temperatures for most of a week. It was my turn to host the Christmas party and you have to know the date picked weeks in advance would be the coldest night of the year.

The last three years we've had snow, ice, sleet and several cold days in a row, but it's not the first time. It's cyclical. My grandmother had some great winter stories about the early 1900's.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 73

j_z_d

smiley - doh You'd asked about & neglected to mention, no problems at all with power(not for me personally). There may have been a few minor disruptions though if I recall correctly.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 74

j_z_d

...and I'd neglected... smiley - winkeye

Dear British Petroleum

Post 75

Evangeline

That's good. It makes the most difference if your heating is all electric. Which is one of those things I have to sort out about this house and winter.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 76

j_z_d

It never hurts to be prepared.smiley - smiley

Dear British Petroleum

Post 77

Evangeline

Wood burning stove or gas heaters are a couple of things I've looked into. Whatever I decide to do will still be a few winters away so I can save the money to do it.

Summer is a little easier in that all it takes is a few candles and a bbq grill.

Dear British Petroleum

Post 78

My car key came off the key chain as I was trying to get into my car this evening. I had had dinner/supper with my parents. My father helped me search. Ultimately he was the one who found the key -- it had fallen under the car. I felt pretty useless. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post