A Conversation for Great Vegetarian Dishes

Nut Roast, Nut Roast, Nut Roast...

Post 1

Frankie Roberto

Nut Roast is the traditional vegetarian alternative, and is often served as the veggie dish when everyone else is eating roast meat, either as the Sunday Dinner or at Christmas.

I wouldn't know how to make it though, maybe someone else could provide a recipie. I think it includes nuts and lentils (a vegetarian staple).

Post 2

$u$

Correction... nut roast is the stereotypical dish that all non-veggies assume is the staple vegetarian diet.smiley - tongueout I have nut roast (for an alternative) about once or twice a year (being a vegetarian myself). I guess that would be much like saying 'carnivores always eat roast turkey'.smiley - winkeye

Other examples... last Christmas, the main course was vegetable-toad-in-the-hole (think you should be able to get a rough idea from the namesmiley - winkeye), and last Sunday I made vegetable hotpot. Other regular meals include macaroni cheese, vegetable and/or Quorn (proprietary brand, of mushroom, not soy, origin) curry, pizza, stir fries, vegetable casserole with herby dumplings (oi... none of that sniggering!), various pasta dishes, etc.

There's a very good choice of pre-packaged vegetarian options available these days, including various types of burgers, sausages, ready meals, etc. You name it, there's a veggie alternative... yes, you can even get a roast Quorn joint!smiley - corncob

The difficulty comes when you want to eat out. Unless you go to an actual vegetarian restaurant, most eateries' 'choice' often extends to only one veggie option, and that is frequently something highly spicy, because 'vegetarians love spicy food'.smiley - erm

Ashley - if you go to the h2g2 Vegetarian Society http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U144422 and look at the HVS Virtual Vegetarian Restaurant, you'll find a number of veggie/vegan recipes gathered together on the menu. Many of these are probably Edited entries already, but useful for links.smiley - smiley I can write up a few more recipes and let you know here, if you would like?

Also, it might be useful to mention some things which can often be assumed to be vegetarian but are not, such as cheese made from animal rennet, and explain what these derivatives are. Again, if you'd like any info, let me know.

In the meantime, I'll put a link to this up at HVS and encourage our members to come and contribute.smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Frankie Roberto

I stand corrected. smiley - smiley

Nut Roast can be quite nice though...

Post 4

Pablo Ferral 'Thingite Distributor Of Bar Snacks'

Especially Rosemary Elliot's recipie for 'nut roast en croute'...

Post 5

HVS

Have added link at HVS, and pinched your lovely blob too.smiley - winkeye

Sus xx

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

Oh... I need that recipe... smiley - grovel

Post 7

Bear with me, I'll find it over the weekend...

May I take this oppotunity to recomend rose Elliot's books to any one who hasn't found them yet. Since becoming vegetarian 8 years ago they have become my recipie and nutrition bible. I'll include the ISBN No. as well.

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou I have one of hers, but I tend not to use recipes anyway.

Rose Elliot's Brazil nut roast en croute

Post 9

This recipie is a bit of a faf, so I've only attempted it for special occasions. The results however are well worth the effort...

Ingredients:-

1Lb of puff pastry, optional egg or milk to glaze

For the Nut roast,

2 large onions, peeled and chopped
2 oz butter or vegan margarine
1 Lb brazil nuts, finely ground
8 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 eggs (optional)
A good pinch of grated nutmeg, ground cloves and ground cinamon.

For the stuffing,

8 oz of fresh white breadcrumbs
1 oz chopped parsley
Grated rind of one lemon
1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and marjoram
1 table spoon of grated onion
3 oz of butter or vegan margarine

Method...

1. Peheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark
2. to make the nut roast, fry the onion in the butter for 10 min untill soft but not browned.
3. Remove from the heat and add the rest of the nut roast ingredients. Season.
4. Make the stuffing by adding all the ingredients together and season.
5. Roll out the pastry on a floured board to a 30x35 cm/12X14 Inch rectangle.
6. Form the stuffing into a sausage about 25 cm/10 Inch long and place down the middle of the pastry. pile the nut roast over the stuffing, covering it up completly.
7. Fold the ends of the pastry up to enclose the nut mixture completely . Tuck in the ends, then place on a damp baking sheet, join side down. Mark a lattice design on the top.
8. Make one or two steam holes and brush with milk or egg if using. Bake for 30 mins.

From 'Rose Elliots vegatarian cookery' ISBN 0-00-411244-X

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

Thanks hun. I'll be trying that in November.

Post 11

Let me know how you get on!

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

Well, I won't be the one doing the actual cooking. Oh no. But I can certainly let you know how it tastes. It looks delicious.

Key: Complain about this post