A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

8 July, 2005: Responses to the London Transport Attacks

Post 1

h2g2Support

Obviously emotions are high right now after the horrific attacks on London yesterday, but we'd like everyone to step back a second and consider the effects their words might be having on people affected by yesterdays attacks.

No one has stepped forward to claim responsibility for this attack and so we can't permit speculation about the perpetrators at this time. Also, there are still people in London waiting for news of their loved ones after yesterday's attacks. We do not feel it's appropriate to speculate about the identities of the dead and would ask that you bear that in mind when discussing this subject.

We do not wish to censor anyone or inhibit opinions, but as you can understand we have final responsibility for what is said on h2g2; we don't want the excellent work of the h2g2 Community to be undermined by misquotes and rumour elsewhere. At the very least, when discussing these events please supply links to reputable news agencies to back up your opinions.

Naturally, we would imagine people here are just as shocked and concerned by the events yesterday as we all are. But we all need to try hard to be respectful of others. That means not posting things that might upset or annoy other Researchers. We've given instructions to the Moderators to refer postings that might be seen as scaremongering or tactless, or postings that contain rumours or unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

Finally, aside from the warnings, we'd like to thank the h2g2 Community for taking the time to be supportive towards each other. The spontaneous messages of compassion and concern yesterday were a credit to the entire community and led to our decision to set up the dedicated discussion forum - A4387836. We're especially grateful for all the kind messages that have been sent to the in-house team - they're all very much appreciated.

Natalie, Jimster and Paully
The h2g2 Team

Post 2

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Hear hear. smiley - applause

smiley - shark

Post 3

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

Also hear hear

I have been terribly badly affected emotionally by what they've done to our wonderful multicultural city - especially doing it the day after so much communal joy after getting the Olymypics. I was very touched today when a friend rang to say she'd got a special message of support from a Parisienne. Apparently he said he'd been gutted and angry one day cos we got the Olympics but the next he felt total love and oneness with us because of the terrible attacks.......that made me feel really good and I hope others too!

Post 4

Trin Tragula

Makes me feel better smiley - smiley Don't know which Italian politician it was speaking on the radio last night (having noted the request for proper links as backup smiley - winkeye) but "We're all Londoners today" - not original, but that helped too.

Post 5

Snailrind

Thanks, eds, for organising a special page for this so quickly. Glad to hear that you're all safe and well.smiley - smiley

Post 6

zendevil

smiley - applause Well put, eds.

I am in France, and yes, it's true about the total turn around in attitude here.

zdt

Post 7

ex-Rambling. Thingite. Dog. Pythonist. Deceased.

smiley - ghost

Well done, Eds.

I was pleased to hear the news about your winning the Olympics. I feel terrible about the undeserved attack on such fine people. smiley - hug

I'm sure we can all agree that only the best hopes go out to you from your friends at H2G2.

Post 8

Pandora...Born Again Tart

Again the World cries ...

I've a lot to say about things I'm not allowed to say here, in the UK.
So, all I can do is send lots of Love & Hope that Peace will follow!
smiley - peacedove
U171729

Post 9

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Well said Italic people

Post 10

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Of all my feelings about this, the "take a step back" one is screaming out ATM!

Let's find out the truth before anything else!

And to everyone, take it easy, and if theres anything that looks a bit strange, tell someone about it, its much better to feel a fool then be wise after the event! smiley - winkeye

remember folks, carry on as normal!smiley - smiley

Post 11

Cyzaki

And don't leave your bags lying around! No point causing any unnecessary disruption.

smiley - panda

Key: Complain about this post