A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

After requests from h2g2 community members, we've decided to set up a new discussion forum for games. The <./>GamesRoom</.> is the new home for word games, puzzles, teasers and general discussions about games.

We've also decided to resurrect <./>MiscChat</.>, the area dedicated to more random discussions. These two areas will be getting a bit more attention now, to clear out <./>Askh2g2</.> and enable it to continue to be the place for asking questions, surveying opinions on subjects, or soliciting advice or pointers in research.

We'll be going through Ask h2g2 soon and moving some conversations over to the relevant forums. If you want one of your own conversations moved, drop us a line at h2g2 Feedback and we'll see what we can do.

Just to run down those areas again:

<./>Askh2g2</.> - the place to ask questions, voice opinions and request help with research

<./>GamesRoom </.>- set word games, set teasers or discuss the wider issues of gaming

<./>MiscChat</.> - the place for random chatting.

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - wow that was fast smiley - applause

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - applause

Post 4

azahar

Fabulous! smiley - ok

az

Post 5

zendevil

Bon idée! Will there be links on the front page so newbies know what's going on?

zdt

Post 6

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

smiley - cool

Thanks guys!

smiley - puffk

Post 7

Whisky

Thanks!

And commiserations in advance if you're seriously thinking about moving the 2000 active games threads from Ask to the new forum - someone in the team's going to be mightily fed up after a while!

Post 8

SEF

> "that was fast"

Only if your definiton of "fast" in this context is over 2 years (possibly more).

Post 9

KB

Great Stuff!

If the changes are observed Ask will certainly be much the better for it.

Post 10

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

Good news indeed. smiley - cheers

Post 11

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

The higher standards originally intended and often still expected of 'ask' might well have been better met by creating a new forum called 'Consult' or 'Share and Inform'.

A new forum giving special status to more serious discussions, would have allowed 'ask' to continue on its merry democratic lowest-common-denominator-way as is, where is.

A new forum for the higher purpose of more legitimate inquiries would have solved the visibilty problem too often experienced by more serious or higher minded queries and researches.

And it certainly would have eliminated the need to revisit thousands of old 'ask' threads to determine their true stature. Not an eviable task to re-categorise thousands of meandering threads, many of which do have a 'serious' element at some point.

As they say on the fishing boats, "If it ain't broke don't fix it. And if it ain't doing the job get another one that will."

smiley - pirate
~jwf~

Post 12

You can call me TC

There always was some good stuff in Miscellaneous. I just forget to go and look.

Post 13

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Nice idea, hope it works out. smiley - smiley

I have a question. Are you going to edit 'ask h2g2' to include links to 'MiscChat' and 'Games Room'?

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Post 14

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

smiley - cool

I might still stay subscribed to the Forum for a while mind. See how this one pans out and that.

Point taken

Post 15

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

sorry

smiley - fullmoon

Post 16

azahar

Good point(s), ~jwf~

az

Point taken

Post 17

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I'm not optimistic that this is going to work but I'll be very glad if it does.

It seems to me that a much easier (and more likely to succeed) solution would have been to move the few threads in Misc Chat over to Ask and switch the names of the two places, thus starting a brand new Ask. Any new chat/game threads that spring up there could then easily be moved to Misc Chat/Game Forum.

It Shall be fun.............

Post 18

enjoy...........

Point taken

Post 19

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Oh, and if anyone was worried about early 'serious' Ask h2g2 questions they could go through the conversation list for the page and bring these up in a thread somewhere started solely for the purpose of informing the Eds, which would mean that Eds didn't have to do the searching themselves, only the moving.

Fun fun fun

Post 20

thank you h2g2 Editors

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more