A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

Fun fun fun

Post 61

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I blame 2legs.


Fun fun fun

Post 62

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

smiley - rofl

Perhaps I may subscribe again now smiley - cheers

smiley - run off to change her ACE Welcome page smiley - applause


Fun fun fun

Post 63

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Well I say let's give it a try.

The community seems to feel it is needed and wanted, so it is now up to the community to use it smiley - ok

Mort

If you don't ask then you don't get, equally if you don't make the most of what is offered then don't whinge if it is taken away!


13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 64

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

Thanks.


13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 65

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>
Well kea, the fact that there are 'old' Researchers who want to start chatty threads and 'new' ones who don't really shouldn't need to be pointed out - it goes without saying. And since I've been at the forefront of those people trying to get Ask back to its original purpose for at least a couple of years, then my points have nothing to do with the 'recent influx of newbies' - from the film, from Salmon of Doubt, or even from Leisure District. This goes back much further than the past few months.

If this has been in the pipeline for a while then I guess I'm not involved in the forums where those threads you mention took place, although as far as I'm aware I'm subscribed to all the feedback and announcement forums. If these conversations took place in Ask threads however, I wouldn't have seen them.
<<

OK, Oojakapiv, it seems I have been missing what you were intending with your posts - I'm still not sure what you have been trying to say in this thread.

Here's the thread where Jimster was talking about the issue: F47999?thread=60422 It's dated March 3rd, which I guess isn't that long ago. I see you were in that thread, so you will be familiar with the discussion.

The other threads from the last several years that I remember are in the backlog of Ask. There were a at least a couple of long involved conversations at different times about Ask, and from what I remember the eventual setting up of the Forum was a consequence of that (the threads tending to end up going nowhere after a while). There was Italic input, although not alot and I don't remember which ones.

It's of interest that those involved conversations happened on Ask (rather than Feedback), another sign that alot of people see Ask as something other than it was intended i.e. they see it as THE central place on h2g2 to discuss community issues rather than Community Soapbox.


13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 66

SEF

Not all the involved conversations were on Askh2g2. I'll take your word for it that there were some (as I'm not subscribed to Askh2g2) but, since I was in others which were *not* on Askh2g2, I know your point about it being THE central place for such discussions is false. Askh2g2 is the place used as a dumping ground by *some* people (to the evident annoyance of those who are aware of other, more appropriate, places for various types of thread).


13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 67

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Just to clarify - I wasn't saying that I think Ask is the place to discuss the community. I said that alot of people consider it to be the place the place to discuss the community. For instance the Della wars and the Hoo suspension convos were both started in Ask, as well as the previously mentioned threads *about* Ask. When there is something to discuss about what is happening onsite alot of people go to Ask, not Feedback.


13 June: Launch of New Forum

Post 68

Lemon Blossom (aka Athena Albatross)

Thanks, Italics. I'll have to take a look at them sometime.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more