A Conversation for Talking Point: Addictions

Internet

Post 1

castaway

Hmm.. I've always asked myself how one can be addicted to the Internet.. I wouldn't say any of the symptoms listed apply to me.. Although I am online the whole day.. (On a workday, 8AM til 10PM)

It rather enhances my social life than making problems. Its very useful to get information quickly, and I like helping people in discussion forums..

Not being addicted to something just means having the strength of will not to let it dominate you. Be in control! smiley - smiley

C.

Internet

Post 2

Clelba

i'm addicted, but i'm ok wid dat
^. .^
= ' =

Internet

Post 3

toe

are chatrooms addictive possibly..... oh just one more hour, you know... its only a bit of fun, maybe not

Internet

Post 4

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

I think that the net, particularly chatrooms, can be totally addictive. I've really had a problem with this, and have worked hard to get my online time down to only 2 hours a day.

I think the addictive nature comes when online becomes your primary "attachment" if you like - all your friends are online, you're neglecting, say, going out for lunch with friends so you can sit at the computer and email/chat/post on h2g2... that the real world takes second place to the internet.

It's really easy to lose track of time in front of a screen - and with chat rooms, there's always new people coming and going, new things to talk to - and no 'end point', like there is when you finish a book and put it down; or a tv programme ends...

I almost lost my girlfriend because of on line. Now I still use the net, but make sure that I keep a firm track on the time, and my priorities in order.

Internet

Post 5

castaway

Hmm, maybe I'm biased.. I don't know many ppl 'offline' as it were.. Even my parents and grandparents communicate with me via Email, all my sisters too..

I guess I could stop, if I wanted.. but why ? - It's just another form of communication.. You wouldn't want to give up your telephone, or TV or ...

Whatever smiley - winkeye

C.

Internet

Post 6

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

Actually, I don't have a TV...

And I agree, it's a mode of communication - but I think that as a 'mode' it has several differences which can make it more addictive than, say, talking on the phone all day.

The main thing I've noticed (and I've been online for 8 years now) is how quickly deep relationships can form over the 'net. Something about the faceless anonymity of it seems to encourage an "instant intimacy" - you can share things with people you hardly know, and certainly wouldn't consider telling someone you meet face to face.

I've seen many many romances happen within a matter of days - this instant intimacy and vulnerability leads to attraction, and love ... and I think this is why "online affairs" can be so dangerous.

It's as if - because you can't see the person, because their words may strike a chord in you, because you HAVE opened up to them - you automatically assume that they're perfect in every other way too.

The other interesting thing I've experienced with these relationships is that they do end - often shortly after RL meeting - or else over a course of time. And though the feelings are intensely painful at the time of the break-up, they subside an awful lot more quickly than one might expect, or than I'd experienced with a RL relationship.

I'm not being particularly articulate about this... sorry. Just awake and not had smiley - coffee yet....

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more