A Conversation for How Not to Name Children

Real people with silly names

Post 1

Sanity FM

My old boss was called Phil Dix. We all hated him.

Post 2

PaulBateman

I'm sure there are a few Richard Hedds about. Not to mention Roger Hards. My chemistry teacher once told me that she knew someone in school called Ophelia Ball.

I doubt that the Scottish dentists Ben Doone and Phil McCavity exist.

Post 3

Olaf K Foddaman

When I was seven, there was a boy in my class called Mike Hunt. Unfortunately I was too young at the time to find this funny and he left the school soon afterwards.
My guess is that he now calls himself Michael.

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Don't forget Rip Torn... smiley - winkeye

Post 5

finorgan

I once had a college lecturer called Rex Dark.

Post 6

Ok, well I went to university with Mr Barry Andrew Ng, I think he gets the best credit card. My girlfriend claims to have been to school with both Katie Hoares and Wayne King.

Post 7

Catwoman

I also went to school with people named Mark Hunt and Richard Head, and in the course of my career in teaching I've taught boys named James Bond and Tom Jones.

An excellent entry - I shall recommend it to a friend of mine who is expecting.

smiley - cat

Post 8

scaryfish

A good friend of mine is called Richard Koks...

Post 9

Dr. Funk

My biology teacher in 9th grade, Mrs. Loomis, named her son Justin Kees Loomis. The Kees is a Dutch (?) name, pronounced "Case."

Also, there was the couple that named their *son* Yoko. Yoko Eggebrecht. He tried to go by Michael for a while, oh God knows he tried, but it was too late, we all knew already. I wonder where that poor man is today.

This is an excellent entry. I plan to send it to a guy I know who is thinking of naming his future daughter something that deeply violates rule 9.

Post 10

Bagpuss

A friend of mine has insisted that "Cat" is not an appropriate shortened form of "Catherine" ever since she married someone with the surname "Stevens".

Also, someone I know, knows someone who is honestly called "Randy Gardener". Shame the Yanks don't know what that means.

Post 11

kane2742

I know of a guy whose name seriously violates rule four: Richard Smalls. BTW, some "Yanks" (myself included) do know what the previous means. I found it rather amusing. I know of a similar and, I think, worse name. A magazine that I subscribe to once published a letter from a man calling himself "Randy Wanker" (which may or may not have been his real name). This is probably another one that most other "Yanks" won't understand.

Post 12

silverygibbon

My father's colleague Robyn Banks has always delighted in her name.
Sadly the same cannot be said for my friend, Crystal Pallis.

Post 13

Clelba

a boy in my year is called tom jones
^. .^
= ' =

Post 14

Bagpuss

Sorry, Kane, no offence intended.

I'm not quite sure whether to believe a friend of mine who says his school was visited by a Catholic priest with the surname "Christmas".

Post 15

Hildegarde

My brother's social studies teacher in high school was named Mr. Bolenball. I've never met him, but I don't suppose I could do it with a straight face anyway.

Post 16

PaulBateman

On the credits of Buffy the Vampire Slayer there is a Thomas W**ker. And on one film I saw the credits included a Flip W**nker.

Post 17

Mu Beta

Don't know if anyone' picking up this thread still...but:

a) Scunthorpe United's Reserve Team winger for the 1997-98 season rejoiced in the name of Du'ane Pipe

b) My Dad's ex-girlfriend, when she began teaching, taught twins called Alfred Hook and Wilfred Hook. Or for short: Alf Hook and Wilf Hook.

smiley - biggrin

B

Post 18

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

I was nearly called Fokko. it is a Dutch name.
try say it loud. you know why I am glad I am not called that!

Post 19

Mu Beta

Of course, I rejoice in embarrassing-surname syndrome myself. My h2g2 alias should give you a fairly good clue what my surname actually *is*

smiley - blue

B

Post 20

Bagpuss

With that clue, I think I can take a wild guess. smiley - biggrin

pheloxi*, as I recall there was a song (I forget who by, some metal band I think) with a line going "Nail that Fokker," a reference to a German aeroplane manufacturer, honest Guv.

Key: Complain about this post