A Conversation for Thanks for Registering with h2g2 - Welcome!

Other Beings?

Post 1

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

hey
do you think that there are other lifeforms in this universe? or that there are other universes out there and that we are just one of a huge collection of large star bodies?
tell me what you think
cheers
ford prefectsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 2

pedboy

Yes, we are here therefore, there must be more...

smiley - zen
smiley - towel

pedboy®

Other Beings?

Post 3

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

but are they like us or are they pure forms of energy? my teacher said that there are no otherbeings but us... i thins he is a load of crapola
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 4

Loup Dargent

Hmmm... Your teacher has obviously forgotten that encouraging people to use their brains is a good thing...smiley - whistle

Even _if_ he was right [and how can he be 100% sure that there is no other life forms "out there" anyway?!], it's still a good exercise for the mind to look into theories regarding that subject...smiley - disco

Of course, when we talk about other beings/aliens, we think first of other planets... I personally tend to think of alternative dimensions/universes as well... I _might_ be completely wrong, but it's sure great fun looking into that area...smiley - winkeye

smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

Other Beings?

Post 5

a whole other universe? this one is big enough! i think there are 'aliens' in this one... perhaps closer than we think... they live on RUPERT!! smiley - ok
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 6

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I think, that as there are millions of potentially habitable planets in the universe, there are also potentially millions of other beings out there... smiley - ufo Some *may* be energy beings, but we don't know... I do not think any have visited smiley - earth but even that is possible...

Other Beings?

Post 7

ya, like ford! it could be your best friend... scary!
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 8

Zak T Duck

smiley - musicalnote
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
'cos there's bugger all down here on Earth
smiley - musicalnote

Other Beings?

Post 9

IctoanAWEWawi

Other life? Almost certainly. Other intelligent life? Weeeeell. If you look at what we currently understand of how we came to be where we are today with our intelligence and szelf awareness and so forth (and exclude the magic hand of God) then the chances of intelligent life developing seem to be pretty damn slim. The number of factors that have to be in place, the number of things that have to not happen and so forth is very large. Of course, it happened at least once so it can happen again. Who knows how much of a fluke we are?

Other Beings?

Post 10

pedboy

Ictoan you consider humans to be intelligent? That is something I'm not to sure of.
Case in point , moi.smiley - cheers
pedboy®

Other Beings?

Post 11

IctoanAWEWawi

we invented digital watches didn't we?

Other Beings?

Post 12

heres proof that there is no intellegent life on earth
http://www.deviantart.com/view/9337822/
have fun!
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 13

a visitor to planet earth

Why do some humans think they are the only "intelligent" lifeforms in the universe?

Other Beings?

Post 14

FordsTowel

Ford, Ford, Ford ...!
Haven't we learned anything during our travels?

Humans may only be the third most intelligent lifeforms on the planet, but they haven't done badly!

Here they are, sitting on an undistinguished mudball, near the end of an arm of an unpopular end of a galaxy, and through merely exploring their own world (yes, and the moon), they have worked out the most likely age of the universe, the probable number of dimensions, both the farthest of the far and the smallest of the small in terms of size, attributes, and connections!

Just getting to the point of accepting quarks, sight unseen, is a great advance; but, they have also postulated beyond their ability to see, and to create theories regarding black holes, white holes, quasars, pulsars, etc!!

I'd have to rate them at least marginally intelligent!

The only thing left to test them on is to see if they can come up with a valid 'Ultimate Question', given the answer '42'!

smiley - towel

Other Beings?

Post 15

whoa!? my towel can talk!smiley - ok
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 16

AngelStardust

Consider also that there may be parallel Earths in the same time, but with the results of alternative choices.

Other Beings?

Post 17

Loup Dargent

Yep, I had that in mind as well when I mentioned alternative universes many postings ago...smiley - cool

Now, of course, some of the smiley - ufos could also be time machines from the future [or alternative futures] A2888616 ...smiley - winkeyesmiley - spacesmiley - run

smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

Other Beings?

Post 18

dude! you guys are getting pretty deep!
cheers
dead again fordsmiley - cheers

Other Beings?

Post 19

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I would so love to have a time machine...
Jacques Vallee puts forward the alternate dimension view in his books about the alien visitors... smiley - ufo

Other Beings?

Post 20

me too, when would you want to go?
cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more