This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The Useless Bloody Loonies Club

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I always liked Arthur Dent because, as he himself admitted, he lacked important skills. He could make a sandwich, and that was about it. He became exasperated at the "Useless Bloody Loonies" on the Golgafrinchan Ark Ship, but as it was later discovered, he was descended from them and was hardly an improvement over his ancestors. smiley - cdouble

I have a lot of not-earthshaking skills. I could run H2G2's laundry to the laundromat and get it clean for them. Or I could bake organic-flour cakes and send them where they are needed. Oh, and I'm a coffee connoisseur (did I mention that I spell pretty well, too?).

At this critical juncture, H2G2 needs people with high-end computer technology skills (that's not me), who can Tweet and do Facebook stuff (I'm not involved with either site), and mention H2G2 in their blogs (okay, I was *going* to start a blog, but don't have one yet).

Eventually, something I can do really well will turn up, and I hope to be there imemdiately and do it. But I don't know what that will be. There are a lot of creatures on the planet who do a lot of little things well but not spectacularly well. The oak tree, for instance. Oaks can live for a thousand years by just not screwing up ever. That's me, though a thousand years would be too long. My coffee will surely run out, and the government will get sick of sending me pension checks. smiley - sadface

Post 2

ITIWBS

...like the fate of 'Old Parr', as documented in the book "Enigmas" by Richard Shapiro... ...if only Old Parr had traveled well...

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Everything on the web is faster than h2g2 today. smiley - puff

Paul, you can start a blogspace easily (and for free), and mention h2g2 with a link. Like this one:

http://dmitri-gheorgheni.blogspot.com/

Hours of mindless fun can be had stealing pictures from Wikipedia. smiley - whistle

Transfer some of your content to google.

Post 4

Jabberwock

Sign me up Paul. I promise you I qualify, whatever the qualification may be smiley - erm

jabs smiley - jester

Post 5

It's an honor to have all of you on board. Maybe I do have a skill after all: starting a movement that doesn't move very far. smiley - smiley

Post 6

ITIWBS

smiley - lurk

Post 7

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

paul - you're not at all useless in my book! I love reading what you write.

smiley - ok

Post 8

Vip

I talk a lot. That's about it. smiley - erm Buthem using said skills. hopefully just by being here, we can keept those with the skills sure that it's worth it.

smiley - fairy

Post 9

Vip

I hate this laptop. It keeps on rejigging what I write and then deleting chunks of it.

All I meant to say, is that you're not alone in feeling like there are so many more useful people around at this moment. smiley - sigh

smiley - fairy

Post 10

frenchbean

Oh thank goodness!

I came back thinking I could find some way to be really useful to keep hootoo going, only to discover that my limited computer smiley - geek knowledge has been totally overtaken in the two years I've been away smiley - doh As a result I've been feeling completely redundant.

Then along you came, Paul, and gave me a small rope to hang onto.

I'm good at hanging onto ropes smiley - winkeye I make a neat bed. I can grow and cook as much food as we all need to keep up our energy.

Please can I be a member of your Club? smiley - grovel

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

i would like to volunteer also smiley - smiley

i think i am fairly good at hanging around, watching stuff, drinking smiley - alesmiley - bubbly and smiley - redwine

oh yes, and eating stuff as well smiley - smiley

but don't take my word for it. ask lanzababy smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 12

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

Yes, yes, yes!

Like Pierce, I am good at drinking (when I can afford)

I can read fairly well, and don't make manty typos when posting...

smiley - biggrin
GT

Post 13

Thanks, everybody. smiley - ok

Lanzababy, I appreciate what you said about my writing.

Hi, Frenchbean. I'm sure you probably know someone with great computer skills. So, here's how it works: Let's say I (or any researcher, for that matter) come up against a computer obstacle (installing a sound card, or exorcising a stubborn virus, etc.). I mention my problem in a thread, and you might say, "I know someone who can help you." Or, I could go to "Ask H2G2," though I probably wouldn't at first because I'd be afraid they'd say, "You can't even do *that*?" smiley - winkeye (But they would say it politely, of course!

Post 14

frenchbean

Ooh, Ask h2g2 scares me too smiley - winkeye

Post 15

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I can make sandwichs... and bread... I'm an experct at making toast too... and... I can make tea or coffee, so long as you don't want anything like milk or sugar put in it smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Post 16

Any good at brewing smiley - ale leggsy??

smiley - drool
GT

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I've done cider and wine, and I have* done beer... but that was years* ago... I'm sure I can come up with something drinkable... and very strong smiley - alesmiley - stoutsmiley - cidersmiley - redwine

Post 18

smiley - cheerssmiley - ok

smiley - drunk
GT

Post 19

ITIWBS

My rice wine is like a very light white champagne.smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Signing up for the club, as well.
smiley - biro

It's been kinda frustrating, watching (occasionally, at least) all the hustle and bustle of the Community Consortium and all that, and feeling that I want to help but have no practical way to do so.
If I were living in the vicinity of any of the people involved, I might have made them some brownies, but I'm not, so there you have it. smiley - flustered

Key: Complain about this post