A Conversation for h2g2 New Users

Parsnips

Post 1

Trillian

Why do parsnips always stay hard in the middle? Carrots don't do that, but afterall, they are much friendlier aren't they.

Parsnips

Post 2

Jizzik

Have you tried Frozen parsnips? Try roasting them or microwaving
them - they go all gooey and yummy.....

Parsnips

Post 3

Baggins

dunno, but those middle bits really are useless outside the compost heap. the noble veg seems scarcely unknown beyond the UK, incredibly.Possibly because it only really works after being frosted?
Who can have discovered that something so unpromising was actually edible, esp. roasted?
recipes anyone?

Parsnips

Post 4

Researcher 33091

What a wonderfull vegetable! Roasted, fried whatever. Try sheperds pie
with Parsnip topping instead of potato. BOOTIFLE!

Parsnips

Post 5

Sean

Don't know if you've noticed, but there's already an official Guide entry on Parsnips ...

Sean smiley - smiley

Parsnips

Post 6

The day walker

TRY USING A POTATO PEELER AND PEEL THE PARSNIP LENGHTWAYS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM UNTIL YOU END UP WITH LOTS OF RIBBONS OF THE AFORE MENTIONED VEG, THEN DEEP FRY TO MAKE PARSNIP CHIPS.ALTERNATIVELY USE A FINGER SHREDDER (CHINESE MANDOLIN),AS USED ON TOP PROGRAMES AS READY STEADY COK, TO DO PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING, IN THE WAY OF SLICING THAT IS.

Parsnips

Post 7

Poor Tiny Grab-At-Things Dylute

but why why why can you not buy peas loose?

Parsnips

Post 8

Researcher 35860

I don't know why parsnips stay hard in the middle cos I don't like them, but my most unfavourite vegetable has to be the brussel sprout.
Once I was served up brussel soup for a starter, what a thought. It was disgusting!

Parsnips

Post 9

Elizabeth

do you guys likle Sweet Potatoes at all? I drool over them... with butter on a plate... yummy. But Parsnip and apply soup is delicious.

Parsnips

Post 10

Trillian

An odd vegetable, do you not agree? Great mashed or pureed, or even roasted with shallots and potatoes. If anyone has any recipes they wish to let the world in on, please forward them to someone....thank you kindly.

Parsnips

Post 11

johnnyr

parsnips
definitely best if well roasted
also superb if boiled with
carrots
and mashed
with lots of
butter

also
try