A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

What on earth was 'Leisure District'?

Post 1

DogManStar

I should probably just pay more attention, but what was it, exactly?

Did the BBC buy it, whatever it was, and graft it onto the side of H2? References to it seem to be everywhere.

Post 2

J

Leisure district refers to digibox and PC users.

There's a Friends of Leisure District Arms, FoLDer Arms that might be able to adress your queries better than I can at A913150

smiley - blacksheep

Post 3

DogManStar

Aha! Told you I should probably pay more attention! Thanks!

Post 4

J

All in a day's work smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 5

Rho

I heard that 'Leisure District' was a chatroom. smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Post 6

J

Did you hear this or do you know this and are being coy? smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 7

GreyDesk

No it was a chatroom type of affair run by Telewest. It was mainly for digibox users, although at one time it did have PC access.

I looked in on it must be 18 months ago now. I realised that h2g2 was much more to my liking and didn't continue with the venture smiley - smiley

Post 8

Rho

Jodan - I heard it on the ACE forum a few months ago - someone asked the same question. Before that, I didn't know what it was and I wasn't sure if the answer given was correct. smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Post 9

J

I thought that. I was just being coy

smiley - blacksheep

Post 10

DogManStar

Yes, having read through a few LD conversations - which to my mind seem much better suited to IM - I thought that it was about as vastly different from H2 as it was possible to get. I'm very surprised there is any crossover at all, let alone that H2 appears to be a popular desination. But hey...

No Subject

Post 11

Abi

Mr Manda U193090 and Loup D'argent U200238 are two prominent ex LDers.

I am sure that they can tell you all about it. smiley - smiley

But no, there is no official link between h2g2, the BBC and Leisure District.

Abi

No Subject

Post 12

GreyDesk

smiley - yikes You mean the BBC has fired you all! smiley - wah

No Subject

Post 13

Abi

What? That means I have been working for free for the past few months! smiley - yikes

(cough cough)

Post 14

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Leisure District was sooooooo much more than a chat room, when it was working correctlty it was IMO one of the best chat rooms. There were also games & pets & the library as well as private chat rooms & private messaging. It was 'taken over' by yoome2, who charge a fee for a lesser service that used to be free, which is why h2g2 is a more favourable choice, though it does take some getting used to. smiley - smiley

LD is also where I 'met' my smiley - aliensmile friend. smiley - magicsmiley - biggrin

Emmily
smiley - rose

(cough cough)

Post 15

GreyDesk

Thanks for that Emmily smiley - ok

After reading what you'd posted I went off and had a look for LD references out there. One thing I found out that I hadn't realised before, was that whilst the company was British, most of the users were from the USA.

I also discovered that the stock for the Yoome2 company that took over LD is an absolute dog. It seems that whilst they have all of these potential users out there, but haven't figured a way to generate an income stream from them (other than subscriptions) to keep their business going.

Isn't it nice to know that that won't happen here, what with hootoo belonging to a State owned corporation smiley - smiley

(cough cough)

Post 16

Loup Dargent

thanks [almost] everyone..smiley - smiley

once again i noticed that some h2g2ers are not ready to give a chance to the ex-LDers on h2g2 but are very quick to make a judgement about ALL of them based on _some_ conversations...smiley - sadface
based on that logic we could do the same and say that after reading a few conversations on this site h2g2 must be a very exclusive site...smiley - biggrin

emmily's reply is definitely what i wanted to post yesterday but more diplomatic...smiley - whistle

once i get to the local library i will post some links on here... they are links to threads/postings having to do with LDers on hootoo... i hope that it will help clear any misconception once and for all...smiley - smiley

one thing sure is that everyone should be able to use hootoo whatever the previous site they were on before... and while some of the newbies [and perhaps some not so newbies] might carry on like they were still on their other site they eventually get used to the h2g2 ways...

ex-LDers have been on h2g2 for a while now... some have even been on this site before the LDers space [ U201567 ] was founded in august last year... and that might surprise those who think that ex-LDers are not suited for hootoo but some LDers have already contributed positively to the site... and more will in the future as well... maybe if a certain poster had made the effort to post on our HOMEPAGE instead of posting on one of our projects [not even bothering to use the clickable frames on the bar's page to do so it seems...] he would have got more info and would also have been directed towards some other LDers' positive contributions to this site...

at the end of the day ex-LDers are like any other newbies and should not be pre-judged because of a few who might not behave the "proper" way or follow the hootoo posting ways _yet_...

anyway, as i said earlier, i will post some links later on...smiley - smiley

smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

(cough cough)

Post 17

Loup Dargent

just in case there might be some confusion, i meant that emmily's reply was more diplomatic than the one i wanted to post yesterday....smiley - biggrin

anyway, back soon...smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

(cough cough)

Post 18

Abi

Well you have expressed yourself very well Loup.

I think it is interesting how this is affecting the Community. It reminds me of the days when I was doing grants awards at the Lottery. When I arrived the quango had had the lottery distribution contract for about six months. It was a small, intimate place to work where the people had been there for a long time and knew each other well. There was a small intake of recent graduates and we fitted in well.

By a year later the organisation had exploded in size and there was a lot of tension between the people who had worked there a long time and the newer staff who had different ideas about how the place should run. Particularly the non-grants staff from the HR and Admininstrative departments, who mostly being on secondment from the Treasury and other government ministries, were used to dealing with people in a completely different way.

I noticed that there was a tendency to look back to some golden age. The great irony was that the perceived golden age had existed for about 11 minutes on a Thursday afternoon in May two years previously.

(cough cough)

Post 19

DogManStar

So what kind of forums did LD have, Emmily? I'm just curious, really. I'm sure it was a lovely place full of lovely people, it just seems so different to H2 that I am surprised they co-exist. I'm not even sure, personally, that many LD'ers actually realise that there is a Guide at all. Again, this doesn't particularly perturb me (although it's a shame), I'm just surprised they are here. Did many H2'ers get onto LD?

The Golden Age thing is right though, Abi. It was *always* better in the old days. I only really started to get into H2 after the BBC thing, and the amount of 'old days' around was incredible!

(cough cough)

Post 20

DogManStar

Whoops - sorry Emmily, the mention of forums was made by Kow [Now With Added Tagline] in a related thread.

Key: Complain about this post