A Conversation for Goth - a Lifestyle Choice

goth dancing

Post 1

Chad Childers

Here in the US, a friend of mine (whose favorite bands are depeche mode, the cure, and sisters of mercy) noted a few typical goth dances:

The Stomachache:
Dancer puts one hand on stomach, throwing head back and forth, with an expression denoting angsty digestive upset.

The Lightbulb:
Dancer reaches up, looking up, as if putting in a lightbulb. Twisting motions of hand and head not entirely optional.

I have actually observed these two myself, in the clubs. The peculiar shuffling style is particularly noticable in goths wearing Very Tall Shoes.

goth dancing

Post 2

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Delchi's working on an entry about that. smiley - smiley Check out the "Comment to footnote 7" thread here.
smiley - cheers
Tube

goth dancing

Post 3

Chad Childers

Keen! We both keep thinking there were other goth dances, but neither of us can remember them... maybe if I can get my friend to read the conversations, she'll remember and post them.

smiley - fish Chad

goth dancing

Post 4

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Well, I never had much truck with Goth dances. Mainly do to the fact that there is Sweet FA in the way of decent Goth clubs here and the Festivals/Concerts are too packed to really move about. smiley - erm
Therfore I do only know very few of them (besides I think I would not really bother with them in any way and stick to my mopey lost-contact-lense smiley - winkeye).
But in any case, yes! Bring her along. smiley - smiley Maybe youse and Delchi (or all of us, whatever) can come up with a decent entry on that.

TTFN
Tube

goth dancing

Post 5

ladybird

you've forgotten the dance to temple of love ...

cant remember all of it (theres a website somewhere)

but to the word "temple" you draw a house in the air
and to "love" you put your hand on your heart
and to "thunder" theres some action for thunder

etc ...

its all a bit silly!

XXX

goth dancing

Post 6

the autist formerly known as flinch

Don't forget the infamous Spiggyhop - in which everyone stands in a circle and just walks in and out forward and backward in time to the music. Sometimes with hand jiving.

There are of couse a thousand goth hand jives to be documented, mid eighties goth clubs were like Para-Para clubs!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more