A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 161

Nick36 (Cloned from Nick the Original)

I may be way off-base here, but could Rowan Atkinson pull off Arthur Dent? He's hilarious in his roles in The Black Adder, Mr. Bean, and Thin Blue Line, but I can just see him exploring the wonders of the universe in his wornout night-shirt. The only danger is hamming it up in much the same way Jim Carrey does.

I don't know the name, but the gentleman from The Young Ones who starred in the title role of Drop Dead Fred might be good for Ford Prefect or one of Zaphod's heads.

John Cleese could do The Book, if he could just warm up a bit. He has a tendency to hit too hard on the "authority" voice. Actually, Patrick Stewart might pull it off nicely.

Trillian...someone English, smart enough to be an astrophysicist and sexy enough to get Zaphod to grow another arm...darn, Connie Booth is too old for the role! Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 162

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Trillian has to be Catherine Zeta Jones I've just decided...

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 163

Mikey

Jim Carey as Ford Prefect anyone??

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 164

Michael Joseph Goldberg

Are they still going to make this movie? DNA wasn't finsihed the revisions from what I'm told, and who would direct it? I would love to see a giant big screen adaptation but I guess I just feel that the only person who could have done it was Mr. Adams without him I don't think it should be done.

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 165

BuskingBob

I think the name you are trying to remember is Rik Mayal - and yes, he would be good for the part!
And Catherine Zeta Jones for Trillian!

John Cleese did a brilliant travelogue thing on a short film that accompanied one of the Python films- "So it's back to Venice, and the f****** gondolas" Excellent choice for the book!

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 166

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

i think it should still be done, more than ever in fact... but please not as a huge big fussy hollywood tribute thing... i'd like a small-ish independent company with sufficient fundings to take this on, single cell might be a good choice. so there... john cusack as arthur? anyone? i think michael palin would be the better choice for the book over john cleese, even though he turned the part down for the radio series... he might just reconsider now...

smiley - smiley

StipeyZRickenbacker

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 167

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

could everyone please stop dissing jim carrey? the man has proven he can act, by the latest in truman show and man on the moon!

smiley - smiley

StipeyZRickenbacker

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 168

He Has?

Ford or Zaphod would be acceptable though... But he would try and steal the show.

The Prob with a HHGTTG Movie is that there are so many central characters (at least 4) - goodies if you will, and not one (but many) baddies(?).....

Any one of the Main characters would take over if a Really Big star were to play them (e.g. Jim Carey as Zaphod) it would overshadow the film - Posters would be JIM CAREY in HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy....

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 169

Davie

Christopher Guest or Harry Shearer for Hotblack ?

And how about Dan Castalennata (sp?) as the voice of Marvin ( or Eddie ) ?

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 170

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

that's true... so, as i already suggested SOMEWHERE in this continuum in another thread (don't ask me to look for it now, it might just proof to be too much for my shattered nerves) - make it a biggish independent production... then you can put in real stars without the star billing, that, you're right, wouldn't do the movie any good... being john malkovich was a good example for that...

smiley - smiley

StipeyZRickenbacker

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 171

Just as an interesting point I read in one of DNA's obituaries (The Sunday Times) that he had just finished the script for the Film the relevant section is:

"For almost 20 years Adams dreamt of transferring it to the cinema and it was just days before his death from a heart attack, at the age of 49, that he finally completed the script for the movie after years of frustrated attempts"

So there is still hope.

As the Great Man once said "DON'T PANIC"

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 172

EDDIEcomputer

i also do not want jim carrey to pay any part in the movie, how about Jason Lee?

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 173

Jason Lee - Who He? And in what capacity?

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 174

voyager

OK .....so lets have a summary..........It's
Trillion.....featuring catherine zeta Jones(in a blond wig)
The book......Michael Palin
sladibardfast.....John cleese
Arthur dent.......Rowan atkinson
The mice.........some mice
Zaphod.........Robert de Nero(you talkin to me?)and the fonz as the other head
Various aliens.....Brian blessed
Marvin............Jack Dee
earth people who are blown up......Vannessa Feltz

so anyone got the £56 million budget its gonna take then?
Mike J

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 175

Mazzloman

Sure he can! Who else will look as confused, looking for his gear, as Dent? Atkinson will carry the roll in a great stile!!!

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 176

dasilva

Wasn't Trillian brunette in the novels anyway? smiley - winkeye

Needs someone straighter for Arthur, if Atkinson would do, you might as well put Carrey in ther anyway smiley - smiley

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 177

Mikey

Just going back to an earlier post;

Brian Blessed as the Vogon Captian?

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 178

fahfooh

Terry Gilliam could direct... he has a frightening grasp of the fantastic and surreal... 'Brazil' is still one of my favorite movies, not to mention '12 Monkeys'

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 179

TG Directing - now there is a good idea!

Yeah Trillion is/was a brunette in both the books and the Radio - is why it has to be CZJ! smiley - biggrin

Plans for the H2G2 Movie

Post 180

dasilva

Terry Gilliam...Terry Gilliam...my, my, my, my Terry Gilliam...I think he might just have hit the nail on the head there smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post