A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 1

Researcher 556780

I was updating my classical collection...and I was wondering what were other researchers top ten faves?

Incidentally I used to like that piece that was on the Hamlet cigar advert - don't know what it's called...anyone?

smiley - musicalnote

Here is my list:

Concerto no 5 in E-flat major, Op 73. - Beethoven

Bolero - Ravel

Laura’s Theme - Mancini

Zorba’s Dance - Sirtaki

Kojo no Tsuki (Moonlight) - Rentaro Taki

Schubert Serenade - Classical guitar piece

The Flower Duet - Leo Delibes

Russian Waltz - Shostakovich

Habanera - Bizet, the orchestral version

Blue Danube Waltz - Strauss

smiley - biggrin

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 2

Thorn

I don't have any favorites. there are too many good pieces. Wish I knew what that piece was either.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 3

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Hamlet:

Air on a G String by JS Bach. The jazz version in the ad was by the Jacques Loussier Trio.

Try the Elgar Cello concerto, in the version recorded by Jacqueline du Pres.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 4

Researcher U1025853

Pachelbels Canon

currently investigating Mozart

I have been reading many African musicians lately say that they recognised western classical music, all these styles have the same root. I also love Indian, Spanish and Russian classical.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 5

Mozart was influenced by Turkish music.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 6

compo

Beethoven's Ninth aka Ode To Joy,the European Anthem.Rainbow do a good interpretation on their live version of Difficult To Cure.Recorded at a concert in Japan,I believe,with full orchestra.Can be found on their Final Vinyl cd.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 7

Researcher 556780

Hey Thorn smiley - biggrin well I did have a bit of an ulterior motive with this thread, nothing more sinister in being reminded of pieces that I had forgotten or didn't know the title of, and then surreptiously downloading them and checking them out....

Which by the way...thanks Ed!

Hey Kaz, I always liked Mozarts "The Magic Flute" orchestral version, I'm sure that there is other stuff that I can't quite recall right now.

Hello Compo, nice to meet you...smiley - biggrin A fan of Last of the Summer Wine perhaps or Nora Batty's stockings? smiley - evilgrin

I always like Carcassi's compositions for the guitar as well (I play classical) and a piece called Romanza...I forget the composer of that one.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 8

Researcher 556780

I read somewhere too that there was a link seen between Alzhiemers and the Bolero score....I forget what it was in reference to now, not that it caused it as such...but more similarities of repetitiveness..must find link..

smiley - run

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 9

Researcher U1025853

Thats interesting MV, I like Bolero, the way the layers build.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 10

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>Air on a G String<

That tickles, Edward. smiley - winkeye

My favorite classical stuff:

Night On Bald Mountain
Danse Macabre
Peer Gynt Suite No. 1: In The Hall Of The Mountain King
Symphonie Fantastique: March To The Scaffold
Ride Of The Valkyries
Mephisto Waltz
Carmina Burana

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 11

compo

Ray Manzarek of The Doors did a fair version of Carmina Burana about 20 years ago.Lost my copy and haven't found a replacement either in second hand record shops or charity shops.Worth listening to if you get the chance.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 12

Researcher 556780

Compo, have you tried looking for it online? Either in a downloading music site such as limewire or e-bay auctions?

I like Hall of the Mountain King too smiley - biggrin Not sure about the other titles..will have to check those out,PC I also like the the classical piece that was used for Damien's antics in the horror flick.

Forgotten till now, to look up Bolero and Alz..will do a search later or tomorasmiley - ok

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 13

Researcher 556780

There we go.. a wee explanation of what I mentioned..

http://www.willamette.edu/~rloftus/jfilm/ravelsbolero.html

Apparantly there is speculation that the composer was beginning to succumb to his brain tumor/alzheimers at the point that he wrote this orchestral piece.

Torvill and Dean, was when I was first introduced to this melody.

smiley - biggrin

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 14

Thorn

Well, come to think of it...smiley - huh, I kind of like the hazy mood that slack-key 7 ukelele music puts me in...
It's kinda calming. smiley - smileysmiley - online2long

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 15

My! PC has suggested some stirring 'Oompah' pieces there!

If you're in more of a chill-out mood:

- Beethoven's 6th symphony ('Pastoral'). Recently Beethoven's symphonies were all available from the BBC as free mp3 downloads, but I don't know if they still are.
- Eric Satie, 'Gymnopedies' (Dances for naked young boys!). Satie also wrote 'Three pieces in the shape of a pear', 'Flabby preludes for a dog' and 'Sketches and gesticulations for a large, wooden bloke.'
- Vaughan-Williams, 'A Lark Ascending'
- Britten, 'Variations on a theme by Thomas Tallis'
- Gorecki, Symphony No 3
- Tavener 'The Protecting Veil'

If you like twiddly Bach-ish stuff and want to check out something more modern, you might like Philip Glass's soundtrack to the movie 'Koyaanisqatsi' - which is also worth renting on DVD.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 16

Researcher 556780

Ooo some fodder for downloads..Yays!

I have seen that K' movie not too long ago...interesting scapes, I mostly liked the circuit board references.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 17

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Hmm, yeah I guess I did mention some of the most "Oompah!" stuff. I generally like my classical to be a bit on the OOmpah side, although I have a nice compilation CD of Baroque and similar quiet stuff. I used to like Pachelbel's canon, but everyone and their mother has that played at weddings these days and I'm so sick of hearing it. smiley - laugh So I usually skip that one. "Air on a G String" is actually a really nice arrangement. smiley - smiley

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 18

Thorn

Sorry about the 7. I meant to put & but the shift key was stuck smiley - doh. I like most genres of music, and am willing to listen to most musicians, bands, "recording artists" on the radio except for most of the recent pop divas and boybands smiley - skull, whom I cannot say that I altogether like very much smiley - yuk. The only time i'll listen to any of those is when girls make me smiley - run.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 19

I believe that the Beethoven symphononies are still available free on the BBC/Radio3 site.

Speaking of air on G strings...at lunch today, I was strongly tempted to lean over to the lassie at the next table and say:
'Madam, your thong is twisted.'

I suppose if I were a gentleman, I'd have offered to untwist it.

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 20

Researcher 556780

Oh, one of my colleagues was just talking about that download last night...and thought it had finished..shall have to remind him tonight that it isn't...will go have a look right now!

Key: Complain about this post