A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 21

Researcher 556780



Ahhh it has expired smiley - sadface ah well never mind!

You know I thought there would be more researchers that like classical music, a little disappointed that we seem to be sparse on the ground...ah well smiley - shrug

Shows that classical is not as popular I guess, unless on the other hand they are either so laid back from listening to it they can't respond or I've upset the clicks that be, that listen to it smiley - laugh

I keep introducing the G-force to excerpts here and there, and at the moment he doesn't take it very well either...smiley - laugh He tends to prefer rock music smiley - winkeye


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 22

Spiff


Hi all

Interesting lil thread, smiley - ok

Couple of top orchestral 'bits' for you:

Britten's 'A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra'

- a virtuoso exposition of how orchestral music works, and how much value you can squeeze out of a relatively simple theme.

Also a good "Oh, I know *this*!" piece, smiley - winkeye

Then, less fun, but one of the most emotionally powerful pieces, in my opinion (especially if you listen to it at volume, giving the music your full concentration):

Barber's 'Adagio for Strings'

- personally, I feel my chest tighten every time I hear the build up, and the feeling of relief after the peak is as close as I have ever been to understanding the concept of redemption.

Well, not too pretentious, I hope, but undoubtedly two great 'bits'

Oh, and to hear one 'orchestral' instrument do the whole job on its own - Bach's Cello Suites (6 of them) are a joy and an inspiration.

ttfn
Spiff


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 23

Researcher U1025853

For those of us who don't goto weddings and had contemporary music playing at our own, Pachelbels Canon is still very good, if only for me. I think it would be dreadful at a wedding.smiley - winkeye


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 24

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

For me it will always remind me of Mel Gibson in Galipoli.

Here's something. I'm not actually a big listener to classical music. Possibly I'm missing something...but could it be that I'm getting equivalent emotions from other musical forms?

Certainly I can't imagine anything finer on Jah's earth than dub reggae.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 25

Researcher 556780


Hey Spiff smiley - biggrin thanks for stopping by...I don't recall those off the top of my head, will have to check those out too.

I feel that way over music too, when it builds up - best feeling ever! I also like the melancholic melodies too, that play around in certain scores and come back with variations throughout the piece.

Violins that cry are also a source of delight for me too.

Ed, as you know...I enjoy the reggae too "long live King Tubby!" and The Upsetters. As for missing something..nah, each to their own smiley - biggrin Perhaps your ear is more tuned to the echo effects and off rhythms more than 'inyerface' direct pivitol notes.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 26

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Yeah, I think I prefer reggae to classical, as well, just from browsing the cumulative music collection last night. Got some Burning Spear playing on the work computer as I'm typing this.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 27

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

smiley - musicalnoteMarcus Garvey's words come to pass...smiley - musicalnote


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 28

compo

maniacal vixen.

Like G-force,I'm more of a rock music fan as well as being into the blues scene.Doesn't stop me liking some of the "lighter",more popular pieces of classical music,though.Must admit that I enjoy Last Night Of The Proms each year.I remember a few years ago,a couple of pieces by the late Frank Zappa were included in one of the early concerts,Moggio being one of the pieces.

Don't know if G-force ever liked the solo output of the drummer Cozy Powell,but with the title track of his Over The Top album,he includes the coda of the 1812 Overture with keyboard wizard Don Airey working wonders for the orchestra effect and Cozy himself on everything else bar bass guitar (that was Jack Bruce),including "incendiaries."


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 29

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>>I remember a few years ago,a couple of pieces by the late Frank Zappa were included in one of the early concerts

Zappa's pal, Captain Beefheart, had an interesting approach to orchestration. When he was making his seminal Troutmask Replica album, he kept his Magic Band locked up in a house, half starved on a macrobiotic diet. Each morning, he would stumble into the rehersal room and bang out some random chords on the piano. Then he's mutter 'Orchestrate that!' and walk out again. The next day, woe betide the band if they didn't have it properly arranged for their instruments.

'A squid eating dough in a polythene bag. That's fast and bulbous, baby. Fast and bulbous. Also...tapered.'

smiley - sigh They don't write 'em like that any more!


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 30

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Oh goodness, another Beefheart fan! smiley - yikes I've never been a big fan of Beefheart (or Zappa, either, for that matter, although I'll listen to him is he's playing) but there's now a preponderence of Beefheart (and Zappa) CDs and videos around the house, and efforts are being made to win me over.

As far as heavily orchestrated music, I'm sure I've mentioned one of my faves, Sun Ra. He's got some amazingly trippy stuff, "Space Is the Place" being a personal favorite. Trippy jazz stuff, highly recommended! smiley - cool


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 31

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Actually...I'm more 'interested in' than 'a fan of' The Captain. With Zappa...I can't quite get past his relentless scatology.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 32

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Scatology really isn't my thing, either. For the most part, it stopped being funny in the third grade. smiley - winkeye

Beefheart is definitely "interesting".


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 33

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Since we've touched on jazz...

'Encomium' by Jan Gabarek and the Hilliard Ensemble. avant-garde, free-form saxaphone combined with medieval monsatic singing.

(not to be concused with 'mycomium', which is something else entirely smiley - smiley)


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 34

psychocandy-moderation team leader

That sounds way cool. I'm going to have to check some out. I feel a WinMx binge coming on this afternoon. smiley - winkeye


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 35

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Jan Gabarek said that in trying to work out how to improvise along with the singers, he realised he could play three ways: Over the music, Under the music or Through the music. You can actually hear the difference on the various tracks.

But you want to get youself a bittorrent client. It's a quicker way of grabbing whole albums.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 36

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've saved a link that you'd sent me, but haven't had time to investigate thoroughly.

When you download an entire album, does it split the tracks? I hate downloading albums and the entire album plays as one long track. I'm anal-retentive about that.

Must check out several Jan Gabarek tunes this weekend, if at all possible. Thanks, Edward. You share the nicest stuff. smiley - smiley


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 37

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Yup. Usually the trax are a collection of .mp3s.

The only difficulty is (sometimes) finding what you're looking for: unlike WinMX, the various bittorrent clients don't search for you. But the Wikipedia bittorrent page has links to search sites. I've used torrentz, isohunt, mininova, seedler and piratebay.

(the Beeb may pull this posting after a while).


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 38

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>(the Beeb may pull this posting after a while).<

I thought they'd do the same with my posting about DVD burners. Sorry if I've gotten this thread off track and the result is a bunch of removed psotings. smiley - erm

But thanks for the advice, I'll definitely see if I can look into it over the long weekend. Not much else planned, besides a trip up to the Indo-Paki groceries.


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 39

Thorn

speaking of gentleman, It's not always easy to be one. Part of the skill is making the level of manners, witticism, and diplomacy look near effortless, no?


Fave Orchestral Bits

Post 40

Researcher 556780



Threads tend to wander...I'm really not fussed..it's public thing..and just coz I placed the first entry doesn't mean to say I own the thread smiley - winkeye It's more of a communal type amble. Conversations in RL especially with me are like that...one minute it could be music, next minute we could be talking about thread tape and the finer points of gargoyles...to the allegorical concept of unicorns..

smiley - ski

Altho donations will be happily recieved in an unmarked notes, plain black briefcase down by the Wharf at Newburgh, NY at 8pm on Sunday...to keep me sweet smiley - evilgrin


Key: Complain about this post