A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

The meaning of life

Post 2121

AK - fancy that!

question: what happens when morals and evolution conflict?
(Is it morally right to continue evolution...)

(Its getting a bit annoying that people keep reading the first post and replying with their own 42 thing even though thats not even remotely what we're talking about now...)

The meaning of life

Post 2122

Researcher 185550

The answer to that depends on a whoooole lotta things.

It's going to go to eugenics though, isn't it?

The meaning of life

Post 2123

Mal

One thing that the answer depends on is, what the hell do we mean "evolution"? If you mean eugenics, that's not evolution, just selective discrimination.
I've never really liked talking about ethics on this thread, because people think that ethics are definable. They aren't; there's thousands of different systems people believe in, teleological or deontological, utilitarian, Kantian, whatever. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

The meaning of life

Post 2124

Researcher 185550

It's unnatural evolution. Now there's an oxymoron. Basically we steer our own genetic changes, but how do we know we're getting it right? What on earth is "right" anyway?

The meaning of life

Post 2125

Mal

I will never fathom this thread's obsession with evolution.
Exactly. The Nazis tried to eradicate all Blacks, Jews, Non Europeans etc, and we all know how wrong we think they are. We inflict enough natural choices on our offspring anyway; why force them down more certain life-paths consciously?

The meaning of life

Post 2126

Researcher 185550

We have this cosy picture of The Way Things Should Be in our heads, and somehow all these people seem to get in the way... we take the way things are and try and make them the way things should be, and bloodshed happens.

The meaning of life

Post 2127

Mal

Hey, you're preachin' to the choir!
Gotta run now. Damned rents.

The meaning of life

Post 2128

Researcher 185550

smiley - laugh

An atheist choir...smiley - biggrin

See you.

what is the meaning of life?

Post 2129

Jack Point

"Life is learning love; the rest is killing time."

-- Noelle Price, "Blessings Flow"

Post 2130

AK - fancy that!

< evolution being the progresseive advancement of the species >

Post 2131

Researcher 185550

Good quote.

Post 2132

Mal

*Sneaks on quickly*
Well, that wasn't worth it!

Post 2133

Researcher 185550

No. But it's a thread with me on it - you can't expect an absolute gem every time you check.

Post 2134

Mal

Oh, c'mon, you may not be big, you may not be clever, you may not be interesting, cool, or smart, but you sure are funny.

Post 2135

Researcher 185550

Only on here.

Post 2136

Mal

Which, since it's all I see or here of you, is all I judge you from or expect you on, is okay.

Post 2137

Researcher 185550

True.

Doesn't mean I don't have hidden depths though .

Post 2138

Mal

Everyone's got hidden depths, Roadie m'boy. Ever hacked anyone open? You'd be suprised at the sheer scale of stuff in there. Especially the intestines. Ugh.
Scary personal revelations aside, you seem brighter than me, you're fine.

Post 2139

Researcher 185550

Not a person, but a fish. Then I gave up biology.

Naw, I'm not brighter. Even if I were, you use what your brains much better than I do.

Post 2140

Mal

Oh, no, I don't use my brains well at all. I'm too lazy to work or even think so I just designed an AI robot in my spare time to do my talking for me. You've found me out.

Key: Complain about this post