A Conversation for The h2g2 Symphony Orchestra

Ooooo, Can I join?

Post 1

Sol

I'm a bass player. I figure muscianship is therefore irrellevent, as everyone knows that orchestras will let any old bass player join as long as they can competantly fake the rare twiddly bits, do impressive pizzicartos, and act as imposing wallpaper for the rest of you. I'm good at that stuff, really.

piece suggestion

Post 2

The Entity

I recalled the last piece that I was going to suggest, it's:
Xylophone Concertino, composer: Toshiro Mayuzumi.
A friend of mine played that...it's a REALLY COOL piece
that's all
~the entity

piece suggestion

Post 3

The Entity

oh and one more thing, the bach violin concerto, as there are more than one, I suggest the d major one (I'm 98% positive that's the one) ok that's all :o)

piece suggestion

Post 4

Sol

suggestion:
Mahler.....1? I think that's it. You know, the one otherwise known as The Theme From Star Treck. With the bass solo, frere jaques, in the 2nd or 3rd movement.

piece suggestion

Post 5

J'au-æmne

Can I volunteer for second flute/piccolo please? these are often doubling parts...

piece suggestion

Post 6

njan (afh)

Righty... ok, yes, you can both join. smiley - smiley... I'll go and update the page now.

*pleased, because orchestra is growing quicker than he might have thought*

btw, everyone, try and recruit players, especially for sections we haven't got. smiley - smiley

piece suggestion

Post 7

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I can be your 3rd flute player or 2nd pianist. I also volunteer when the rare harpsichord, piccolo, or alto flute is needed. smiley - smiley

piece suggestion

Post 8

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Actually, now that I take a closer look, I see we have two "second flutes." I can be the 1st easily enough. I just didn't want to step on any toes. Music politics is such serious business. smiley - winkeye

piece suggestion

Post 9

njan (afh)

Fair enough, you're the first flute then. Congratulations. *shakes Fragilis's hand*

piece suggestion

Post 10

Gag Halfrunt

Wow I see That The Entity has Suggested Both A violin concerto And A xylophone Concerto. Well I'll Play them Both. But maybe I'll Be the principal Violin until someone better arrives. But It seems I'm the Only percussionist, Fantastic!

Oh yes, By the way I resent your remarks about talentless Percussionists... Only 'drummers' are talentless (:

I suggest the 'Lark Ascending', I can Kind of play it, but It sounds A bit "Lark Absconding". Oh Eye, And Do you need a Composer, 'cus I do a bit of that. O and, Shouldn't we all say where We live In case and 'real' music is on the cards.

piece suggestion

Post 11

MyBrainHurts (Muse of bows and strings, principal viola of the h2g2 orchestra)

Sign me up for principal viola. Since everyone is making suggestions here, I would vote for the Walton viola concerto.
If there are not enough other strings, I might be volunteered into the first violin section, but usually the violas are underfunded.

piece suggestion

Post 12

Gag Halfrunt

Hey, I'm Learning the Viola as well, What About the Vaughan Williams Viola Concerto?

piece suggestion

Post 13

Hey Gag,

you are the author of that entry 'The Violin', right? So now you are learning the 'evil big brother' of the violin? smiley - winkeye

Well, welcome to the family then! To my shame I must admit that I don't know Vaughan-Williams viola concerto. Is there a good recording out there?

Cheers,
MBH

piece suggestion

Post 14

Gag Halfrunt

well I'm In A string Quartet (called The Haushalt quartet... Impressive eh, It means Budget in german.) And we need a talentless... I mean Viola Player, And besides (like percussion) It gives you a back door into some really good Orchestras!

piece suggestion

Post 15

Bingo! smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

That's exactly how I came to play the viola. It also is what opens the door to any orchestra in any new location.
You might say that playing the viola is an acquired taste. It certainly was for me. But after a while I started to love it, and now I really prefer it over the violin. It simply is not the evil big brother of the violin, but rather the melancholic older sister. Well, no, that does not sound right. Well whatever, it is the instrument I love most.

By the way, the budget is a secondary meaning of 'Haushalt'. The first association is simply the household. Sorry.

piece suggestion

Post 16

Gag Halfrunt

Still Sounds Good

violas again

Post 17

Wednesday Addams (sleeping, mostly)

Third viola! Third viola!

piece suggestion

Post 18

njan (afh)

Ok, Paperdoll, you want to be a second, you told me that on messenger...

Yes, I did say something about untuned percussion, didn't I?
Ok, so we now have 3 violas, one of whom is also a percussionist, and a principal violin. I'll put you down as violin and percussion, since we have neither of either. smiley - winkeye Good, good.

Interestingly, I was listening to the Lark Ascending as I replied to your messages. I'll probably add it to the list, becuase (although I'm not a Vaughan Williams fan) It's a nice enough piece. Although I may wait until I decide which other piece to kick out, because we already have lots. Any suggestions?

piece suggestion

Post 19

njan (afh)

Oh, um, Gag, what sort of Percussion do you want to be? There are a few different varieties.....

piece suggestion

Post 20

IanG

Only 2 trombones? And no bass trombone?

Oh well, I offer my services as a trombonist. (Tenor trombone, but with plug, so can play bass parts at a push.) Happy to go on 1st or 2nd. (Actually 3rd's usually most fun - 3rd usually gets some interesting part of the harmony in the trombone section, whereas 1st and 2nd are playing, as Eddie Izzard once put it "all the notes that are left over" smiley - smiley)

Key: Complain about this post