A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

Remove function on reciprocal friends list

Post 1

GreyDesk

The ability to remove yourself from someone elses friends list is striking up a fair amount of support in one of the othe feedback threads - F615?thread=338165

Any chance of adding this to the list of future feature enhancements?

Post 2

SEF

I'd better vote for this given the number of stalkers I have acquired. Of course it doesn't fix the A-number issue though that list isn't visible.

The main problem for digibox users seems to be the number of links. So it is necessary to regularly prune the main friends list let alone the reciprocal one if turned on. With many people locked out of their original pages after the SSO debacle, they add themselves again to a friends list and can't remove the old entry even if they wanted to do so.

Post 3

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

smiley - laugh a thread to be avoided already remove post smiley - run

You can goto another Resercher personal space, look at threir friedns list, 'find yourself' and press Delete. - Trouble is is do not delete and maybe it should?

Even if the reasons are genuine, like clones, or "left the building" users, it there no procedure to have a tidy up as it stands?
smiley - erm

I have mentioned about a 'Not my friends' list before now, to keep persistant people away. How about it?

Post 4

manda1111

I think it is a good idea and gets my vote,
I also voted for the ability to remove messages from your P/S but that don't seem to have got anywere either smiley - erm

manda smiley - peacedove

Post 5

Rho

> Remove function on reciprocal friends list

Good idea. smiley - ok

Rho

Post 6

Frankie Roberto

Nah, I vote against. It's up to you who you consider your friends, whether or not they feel the same way about you.

Being on someone's friends list doesn't cause any harm - it's just a link to you on their space. They could just as easily bookmark it.

Furthermore, the friends list is just a list of people whose personal space you've subscribed to - so would you be able to unsubscribe them from your journal?

If you're having problems with someone stalking you then this isn't the way to deal with it.

Post 7

Frankie Roberto

P.S Agree that 'delete' link on other people's friends list should be removed. A stylesheetbug - has it not been spotted before?

Post 8

SEF

It has been reported before.

Post 9

I'm not really here

This gets my support. I got loads of people on my list on U290 (probably because I was an Editor, rather than just being interesting, as this account doesn't seem so popular) and to be honest, I got sick of posting journal entries and having ridiculous comments posted to it by people that knew nothing about me and weren't interested in anything other than a lazy way to post cobblers.

I wrote a journal entry about my mum taking the dogs pill once and it was suggested that I have my mother put down. Not exactly the sort of thing a friend would say. So I would say that causes harm. While I was an Editor, I also saw it being used as a handy way to hurl abuse at other people, as they came straight to the conversation list so it was no bother to post.

There is no 'stalking' on h2g2 as far as the site is concerned, it's set up so that we can follow each other's busy virtual lives. But it would be nice to be able to remove people who have added me for reasons other than they are interested in what I'm posting. Which to be honest, isn't generally very interesting at all, but I don't want to post myself to lists of people who only want to be negative, and I can see why other people want to as well.

Apart from anything else, there are people there who I've never heard of, who've never spoken to me at all. What am I doing on their list if they don't talk to me??

Post 10

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Imagine what it'd be like when people were told you had forcibly removed yourself from thier 'Friends List'. Could cause a lot of resentment.
Oberon2001

Post 11

Rho

I imagine that the function wouldn't be used much, just as the 'Remove Name' function isn't often used by most people, but it would be handy to have.

Rho

Post 12

Loup Dargent

I definitely and strongly agree with the idea of a removal feature...smiley - disco

We _might_ not have stalkers on h2g2 but we do have time to time people with err very strange ideas of fun and being on one of them's list _still_ makes me uncomfortable...smiley - yikes as mentioned in the other thread ==> http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/FFM615?thread=338165&skip=0&show=20#p4316484 posts 5, 9 and 11...

Talk later...smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

Post 13

I'm not really here

I agree that it could be quite upsetting to find out someone has removed themselves from your list, but I've seen the upset it causes when it's been used as an 'enemies' list. I've seen faces twisted with hate because someone they don't like has added them as a friend and they can't remove them. Not a nice picture.

As Rho says, I imagine it won't be used much. Not for people who aren't using it to hurl abuse anyway.

Post 14

Loup Dargent

>Imagine what it'd be like when people were told you had forcibly removed yourself from their 'Friends List'. Could cause a lot of resentment.<

Qwertyqwertyqwerty is no friend of mine somehow...smiley - evilgrin and considering that they seem to have left the building quickly after their rules breaking activities, i can't see them having any problem with my name being removed from their "Friends" list...smiley - smiley

Also, i am aware that some of the accounts on my Recipro-list are not active/used anymore as the Researchers who opened them have since opened new ones... They would not have any problem with that methinks...smiley - smiley

Resentment would not be more than when we take people off our own Friends list and actually perhaps even less... A good excuse/reason being that the Recipro-list _does_ add a lot of links on our Personal Space anyway...smiley - disco

loupsmiley - fullmoon

Post 15

Loup Dargent

Delayed simulpost it seems...smiley - biggrin [or me being too slow typing...smiley - whistle]

>I've seen faces twisted with hate because someone they don't like has added them as a friend and they can't remove them. Not a nice picture.<

Not a very nice read either... I've stumbled unto posts like Mina mentioned and it sure doesn't help the atmosphere as it's usually being followed with abusive remarks/comments and a lot of swearing [starred out or not it is still swearing and not pleasant to read]...

smiley - surfer

loupsmiley - fullmoon

Post 16

SEF

"I've seen faces twisted with hate"

But the *staff* have the ability to do this sort of thing anyway - at least if they convince Jim Lynn or someone else competent. It may be difficult but it *won't* be impossible even without a pre-existing tool.

Post 17

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I lost my temper in a journal once and had to tell a researcher to butt out of my journal unless they had something constructive to say.

It didnt make me feel nice, and not really the kind of image i want to portray but, as has been said, when someone makes a comment that
is in bad taste it is upsetting.

I am glad i am not the only one who thinks that is a good idea. I have 40+ on my reciprocal friends list and more than half of them have never posted to me, and at least 6 i have never heard of or even been their ace smiley - erm

Mort

Post 18

Jab [Since 29th November 2002]

A few times I have had a tidy up, deleted my friends list, what happens is people that have not posted in a while apear to ask: "Why have you deleted me off your friends list?" smiley - steam lurkers smiley - laugh

It would be nice to be able to remove people, but yes could be seen as reactionary. smiley - headhurts Yes, then a mob attack from the deleted users friends or even the self appointed 'thread police' could show up. smiley - laugh

That's why as a half way I thought of a list of not my friends, nobody need see it, but the user themself and it's function would be to block post from people that an individual sees as from a person not to their taste.

I have considered adding the likes of smiley - bleep to my friends list, not because smiley - bleep is a 'friend', but because smiley - bleep is interesting, knows interesting people. The friends list makes lurking easy. However if they prefer not to have me post on their threads, message center I'm thinking over the other types of thread it should be respected.

Some people just don't take a hint ie. a person unsubsribing from their own thread, even a journal would indicate to me they are not happy.

What ever happened to good old asking, if there is doubt? May be useful if quote: "all threads are public." - an Italic, previously.

But if a full-on delete function could be had, then yes please, I'll take the hit of a row as it happens, maybe yikes, maybe not depends on how stupid the person who is not my friend makes themself look, by my apparent abeyance. smiley - tongueout

Post 19

Ottox

How I miss the time when I without a second of doubt would call h2g2 a friendly place.

Post 20

J

I just counted - 42 people exactly have me on their list smiley - wow

I want to keep this number smiley - grovel

smiley - blacksheep

Key: Complain about this post