A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

26Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

While I have the server listening to me, I believe it's a good time to get the place vacuumed, the books back on the shelves (temporarily) and the loose change out from under those red velvet cushions. Matina has added leftovers to the compost heap, one of the suites is now vacant and I put a statue up in a corner of the gardens (check the expanded floor plan age). On a small plinth at the base of the statue it says, simply "96026 1999-2000: Gone but not forgotten."

Not only that, but I found some artwork by Chloe which I'll tape up to the fridge door as soon as I find the sellotape.

You can sit back down now. I'll throw some pine cones on the fire.

Post 2

Witty Moniker

Ahhh, nice and tidy. How are you, Lil?

Matina, a smiley - bubbly, please.

Post 3

You always used to get the First-to-the-forum cup over at the cafe! smiley - biggrin

I'm doing well, WM, and yourself?

Amy, do post the links to your course. I bet I'll find useful stuff there. Never too proud to scrounge up new tips.

Looney, I have just finished reading The Good, The Bad and the Bubbly, a book which fell apart in my hands as I read it, and whose photos were full of screen patterns. But I was glad to throw a few pence in the royalties hat. I see he's still in Cromwell Hospital, is Bestie. An interesting read. He is someone I once swooned over and was enraptured by his playing, and whom I probably wouldn't like personally, by his own account. Not that I would be rude. And I would love to hear some of the talks he's given. But oh dear.

Post 4

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Filled up yet another forum, did we? There's gotta be a prize of some kind for that. smiley - winkeye

G7

Post 5

Phil

Evening all.
Any tips and tricks for HTML and the like would be very welcome. I've spent the last couple of days at work building a clickable map of our machine room at work and listing what's inside each rack (with links to the appropriate stats pages of course smiley - winkeye).

Amy, I had it put to me when I talked with my supervisor about PhDs and other such matters that when you get to the point of teaching the supervisor about what you're doing is when you've really cracked it.

George Best, last seen on the fron page of one of the tabloid newspapers in a photo at an airport. Quite sad really.

Loony. All I can say is go for an internal one, but try and get a scsi one and a scsi card to plug it into. From what I've seen the scsi ones work much better. Don't know about NZ but buying a lesser known name scsi card in the UK (ie NOT adaptec) can be a lot cheaper £25 is the average price seen for cards by GigaHZ and IWill. Both of these cards will do what you want without shelling out megbucks for the adaptec equivalent.

*goes out to quietly give the statue a hug*

Post 6

Witty Moniker

Hi, Gw7en, Phil... nice to see you.

Lil, I'm tired...smiley - yawn I've running around IRL like a crazy woman. I can't wait until my daughter's Nutcracker performances are over next weekend. (*whisper* Don't tell her I said that!) I'm sick of Tchaikovsky and I've just barely started preparing for Christmas. And daughter #1's birthday was yesterday, #2's is this coming Monday.

Just shoot me. (Sorry about the rant.)

I was surprised to read about Mike's departure. Is there a link that explains, or is the slate wiped completely clean?

Post 7

Why are SCSI cables so short? The one that connects my scanner to the adaptec card pretty much determined the layout of the whole office!

My Christmas present to myself will be a digital camera (I was talking to Sporky about this yesterday). I have a piece of plastic good for $225 on any toshiba product (thank you class action settlement! smiley - smiley ) and it will amount to nearly half off a decent one for web pics. I have a 'real' camera for the high-end stuff.

Post 8

Phil

Hi there WM. One of my sisters decided to have both hers on the same day a few years apart!
Lil, SCSI cables don't have to be so short. I think they can go up to a few metres in length. Mostly they're short because it ensures good data transfer that way. Some of the cables connecting drive bays to machines at our place have gone through three different length cables, getting shorter to try and improve transfer speeds.
Anyway, guess I'd better be off to get some sleep before going to work tomorrow.
Later people.

Post 9

Babel17

Hello all. I too would appreciate any help in the website area, as I have decided that what I had previously spent all my time working on is junk and not how I want to do it at all, so I need to reteach myself.
I would like to buy myself a couple of network cards but I am trying to justify the cost. It's all I need now, as I have a hub etc. and I keep getting told to buy 3Com but that's nearly £100 for the two!
Oh well. *goes to have a look at the statue*

Post 10

Babel17

Ah simulpost, sorry Phil. Hi and bye.

Post 11

Phil

Go to a computer fair and buy there. You should get decent stuff if you know what to look out for. It's how I buy all my hardware these days.

Post 12

Gnight Phil. Hi Babel!

Post 13

marvthegrate LtG KEA

RE: CDR's I have an IDE internal writer that is flawless in it's operation. In my experiance the first few CDR drives were much better in SCSI versions, but withthe advent of the better IDE bus, they work just as well. SCSI are often faster however. As for the lenght of a SCSI cable, they can be as long as 6 meters or 25 meters depending on type ([url removed by moderator] It is good when you have a chain of devices that are rather big, like old hard drives in a RAID. Brand of CD media is usually your biggest concern. For instance there are brands of CDs that will always burn correctly and not fail. Others I get mixed results with.

OK Geek mode is now off...

Marv

Post 14

Hi, WM! Long time no type. Sorry that life is so crazy, but look at it this way: You're getting two birthdays out of the way in close succession so that the rest of the year can be quieter. smiley - smiley

Lil, I agree that scsi cables are way too short. Perhaps we need to approach the manufacturers and make a case for longer ones...

G7

Post 15

marvthegrate LtG KEA

RE: Network cards. A good alternative to 3Com (which I will not touch with a ten foot packard bell) are the cards by Netgear, usually much less expensive (>$20 US) and very good.

Sorry for the geek mode again. I just hate to see people get crap kit.

Post 16

Babel17

Thanks for the tip Phil. Sleep well.
Hi Lil, How are you this evening? All settled into the new office and enjoying the benefits of a fast connection, judging by the backlog smiley - smiley
Just been to pay my respects.
Is there any fresh tea on the go?

Post 17

Babel17

Thanks Marv, I shall bear that in mind when I go ahunting. Much appreciated. I am quite happy to hear from as many people as possible before I make purchasing decisions smiley - smiley

Post 18

Matina, let's use up the NZ bottled water, I hope I haven't seen the last of that nice deliveryman that looks like George Best did when I was looking that age too... *realises her syntax is coming apart and decides to stop*

Green tea?

I could have a big fat sewer pipe running out the back of my computer, pumping KBytes like a champion, and it still gets brought to its knees by that rogue Dell at Covent Garden smiley - winkeye

But yes, I love the speed. I apologise about the backlog, but what is one to do? Surely not stop talking!

Post 19

Definitely not stop talking! I think TPTB should try to figure out a way to make the backlog printable. That way we can catch up whenever.

G7

Post 20

Babel17

Green tea is fine smiley - smiley
As for the CG Dell, well there isn't a lot one can do about it. Add to that the fact that I have 2 separate access methods to here from work. One our local proxy server, the other via our new employers proxy at Portsmouth, to which many an IBMer has access globally to.
I get really frustrated when both of these start acting up at the same time, as was witnessed not 2 hours ago!

And as far as backlog goes, I meant judging by your comments, not the ammount of backlog. I have not been in aposition not to catch up for a long time, but then I haven't been to the cafe in a long time either. Sometimes some things have to let slide for a while. Ho hum.
How come Sporky keeps coming online as I am going off this week? It's as if we are out of sync or something.

Key: Complain about this post