A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6CXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Welcome to the Atelier, an epicenter of fine discussion and stellar intellect! If you haven't been here before, please take a few moments to visit this forum's home page at A304354, and learn about our ways. You might also check the link on that page, which will take you to a floor plan -- always nice to know which way you're oriented -- and some backstory.

Many thanks to our scribe, Marv the Grate, for taking notes on the most recent conversation, making it possible for me to re-assemble a sense of what went before. *Chloe steps forward with an ostrich quill pen and inkwell base of lead crystal* Thank you, Marv.

The last conversation was distinguished by a second running of the story header game. There was some initial confusion amongst those who hadn't played it before, and it didn't seem to be as popular as when we first played it, but not only did we generate a surreal tale, we even had lots of closing credits.

Several hootooers joined our conversation for the first time, but just as quickly receded into the lurkground -- Steve, who-why and Pike. Meanwhile, Bryce peeked back in, and, at last, Munchkin and Toccata rejoined us at the salon.

In respect of discussions, we have a special award this month, which goes to Z. *Chloe steps forward bearing a bottle of very old port, symbol of after-dinner discussions* For raising the most interesting subject for discussion, Z, we award you this, er, award. The topic was, " Would you swap six months of healthy life for a painless, comfortable death?" It provoked a long and interesting debate.

Romance! June was good to Egon and MR, each of whom found new dates worth a repeat performance. Well done! Happy chance!

Literature! Special note should be made of Ben's accomplishment in placing her poetry in competition and coming in second. For many conversations, now, salonistas have been able to read Ben's creative work, and we know she will attract even more recognition in future.

Portraiture! The h2g2 friends photo album is released, with numerous pics of Salonistas. This was started by azahar, occasional attendee at our salon, and the viewing of photo portraits did prompt some thoughts about the difference between what we imagine about our virtual friends and what they actually turn out to be.

Fire! The chief preoccupation in your hostess's life was the Peppin Fire that, over the course of about 4 weeks, consumed nearly 60,000 acres of dry pine bark beetle-infested forest on the Capitan Mountains just north of Lincoln. It gave her occasion for some spectacular photographs, as hotshots from all over the country battled strong winds, snake dens, steep cliffs and landslides to contain the blaze. For a while there was even some discussion on what one ought to try to save from amongst one's chattels if faced with evacuation. Caerwynn also had experience of fire near her home, although this was an urban blaze, and Americans were introduced to the notion of fire appliances.

D'oh! B4 continues to dodge the Homer Simpson stereotype as he assists with the continuing repairs and returns a nuclear power plant to operating capacity. He repairs cars, too. Marv observes in his notes, "Regency is amazed that you can fix a car
with leftover parts. There is a perfectly good reason to have left over fasteners... They are dead weight and extraneous parts that can be removed to make the motor run more effeciently.

Quizzes! Just two come to mind: the alien quiz got some mileage, as did a quiz for distinguishing false smiles from real ones.

Teeth! All sympathy to Marv and especially Hati, who are dealing with dental problems. It was Kierkegaard who called bad teeth our "secret wounds" ...

Stardom! Kelli passed her television screen test and started at her new job.

Death! The death of former President Ronald Reagan prompted some discussion, in respect of the attempt to secure his face on some unit of American currency (for which Lil suggested the billion dollar bill). On the matter of politics, we talked about electronic voting, but American political discussion continues on a separate thread in this forum, and your hostess cannot remember anything more than possibly a mention in passing of the European elections.

Taxes! A proposal is being made to add a dollar to the tax on gasoline (petrol) in the United States. This led to comparisons of the availability of transport in rural and urban areas, and why some people need cars more than others.

Treason! The term "Un-American" was discussed. Does disagreeing with the current administration of the US make one un-American? Is that a bad thing? The topic was of interest to those outside the American borders as well as those within.

And, in other news, MR visited Robert I Moore; GDZ's kids went to stay with their mother; Lil dodged Jury duty; B4's and GDZ's daughters both won school awards; Dave's much-treasured mentor died an early death from cancer; Ben reworked world history in a single afternoon; GDZ and Marv went camping; The first critiques of the new Harry Potter film were given; spam subject headers displayed a brief renaissance of Dadaism; and Marv moved at last. Housewifery skills were compared -- they are not gender-specific! -- and salonistas shared shortbread recipes, as well as techniques for handling dough.

And so here we are, in a freshly cleaned salon, ready for further conversational gold. Please make yourselves at home!

Post 2

Coniraya

OOh! Am I first?

Post 3

FG

Woo! Am I the first?

::jumps up and down in anticipation::

Post 4

GreyDesk

[GD]

V.busy... just passing through... smiley - run

* waves on his way out *

Post 5

FG

Darn it.

::watches in envy as the FTTF mug is passed to Caer::

Post 6

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

*Drags his beanbag in*
Sure, I don't stay in here for 5 minutes and miss the mug.

Post 7

Z

smiley - blush I go to get another helping of potato salad and I miss the mug. However I'm delighted to say that this lovely award more than makes up for it smiley - biggrin.

I'll have to bring more BMJ polls to a wider audience...

Post 8

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Matina comes in carrying two mugs -- a FTTF mug of Irish coffee for Caerwynn, and an AFTTF mug of regular coffee for FG*

Post 9

Phil

New conversation just as I'm (once again) going away for the weekend.

Post 10

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I am going to go take a cert test today to keep my job. I am really unprepared for it so Iam not sure how I will do. Wish me luck (either kind, I don't really like this place anyway).

Post 11

Phil

May the result of the test turn out the way you want it to Marv smiley - ok

Post 12

marvthegrate LtG KEA

That's the thing, Phil, I am not sure what result I am looking after. If I pass I keep a job I don't like. If I fail I don't have to come down here but might have no income for a long while.

Either way, I feel screwed.

Post 13

Teuchter

[Teuchter]

Post 14

azahar

hi everyone, smiley - smiley

Moth's son has just started up a very interesting website in case anyone here is interested:

http://www.backpackersplanet.com

smiley - cheers

az

Post 15

FG

::adds plenty of extra cream and Splenda to her coffee, making it into, more or less, ice cream::

Thank you, Matina.

So, does anyone have any big plans for the weekend? As I mentioned in the presidential discussion forum elsewhere in the Atelier, Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" opens here in Missoula tonight, the only venue it will be shown at in Montana. Hopefully, if I can get tickets, I will be seeing it tonight or tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to laughing while getting really, really mad.

Post 16

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

I have plans to see it on Monday with a whole host of folk. And then discuss it afterwards over beer.

Well, good/bad news has arrived. The ex will be getting out of the house, although not in the manner I was expecting, as he will be deploying for one of two countries on the 6th of July (you can guess which two). I'm feeling really ambivalent about it, as it solves a lot of problems for me, but creates a whole host of other problems for both D and myself. I mean, just because I don't want to be married to the guy doesn't mean I want him in mortal danger.

Post 17

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - cool
{Sauntering in as if he hadn't a care in the world, B4 chuckles as he assesses the situation on the new thread.}
smiley - biggrin
Missed again, didn't I? Ah, well, s'pose that's what comes of snoozing...
smiley - sleepy
{He loosens the wide belt and flips back the flap of his trenchcoat. With a slow and easy motion, he reaches under his left arm and pulls forth an item that had been concealed there. It appears to be a long tube of some sort, a handle at one end, and a set of short prongs at the other.}

0000========smiley - star

After my personal debacle from last thread, I made this Last To The Forum Cattle Prod (like I mentioned), which should help me stay focused and provide the correct impetus to jump on the transition. It worked fairly well, judging that I showed up just after half a dozen posts, but I think it still needs some fine-tuning.
smiley - erm
{He flips a switch on the handle and brandishes the prod, demonstrating its persuasiveness by touching it against several of his extremities.}
smiley - star ZZZZzzzaaap!
Yeeha! Oh.
Ow. Yeah, that really wakes a person up!
Hoo-hoo! Argh! That's good.
Yup. Won't hesitate the NEXT time we change threads...
smiley - magic
{B4 attempts to stand there smiling, though his whole body still involuntarily jitters and quakes in the aftermath of the display. He remains wreathed in an eerie sort of electric glow, and small sparks and bright-blue tracings slither over his frame for a few moments more.}
smiley - winkeye
B4iadmitireallygotachargeouttathat

Post 18

marvthegrate LtG KEA

B4, I worry about you on occaision. I think that you have absorbed one too many Rads at work and have somehow mutated into something just a little bit strange.

The only people I know who intentionally zap themselves with cattleprods are the people who gave us the fine telivsion event of Jacka** on MTv.

Post 19

smiley - laugh
One of the most common phrases I heard while growing up on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi was, "Oh, yeah! Well, I double-dog dare ya!!!" Running a close second, when someone actually showed some self-initiative, was, "Hey, Bubba, watch this!"
smiley - rofl
B4itakeabathwithmytoaster

Post 20

smiley - huh
Hey, Marv! Did you notice that each of our postings won't show as "Just Now"? As soon as I'd post mine, it said I'd done it "2 Minutes Ago". And, I can expect you're a fast reader, but it seemed I'd ~just~ posted when you came back with a reply. Using a time-space continuum rift, are you?
smiley - doh
B4iwinduppostinganhourago

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more