A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

67Xth Conversation at the Atelier

Post 1281

U195408

Hey all

Sorry I missed the pool game, Marv & GDZ - my brother was beat, and doesn't drink, so we went home. I didn't see him long enough as it was. I went snowboarding on Sunday and Monday morning (before my flight back). That was crazy. The altitude was killing me, I kept sucking wind unexpectadly. The powder was awesome on monday - I did at least 3 head over heels wipe outs, without getting hurt.

A quick comment on the anti-semitism in Europe. Here's an exerpt from the Economist, February 21, 2004 U.S. Edition

In 2002 the main synagogue in Marseilles was burned to the ground. Last November a Jewish school on the outskirts of Paris was also gutted by arson. Street assaults on Jews have become common enough for the chief rabbi of Paris to advise Jewish boys to cover their heads with a baseball cap rather than a traditional kippa. Similar attacks on Jewish targets, albeit on a smaller scale, have been reported from several other European countries, including Belgium and the Netherlands. After initially ignoring the issue, European politicians began to speak out. Shortly after taking office, Jean-Pierre Raffarin, the French prime minister, declared: "Attacking a Jew is tantamount to attacking the French republic." The French government has stepped up protection of potential Jewish targets, and told teachers to crack down on anti-Semitic taunts among their pupils.

The article also mentions how the perception in the US is worse than the reality, but that the problem is there.

dave

Post 1282

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*giggles*

Everybody is in conversation 68X, dave. Git over thar.

Post 1283

U195408

thanks lil. Actually, right after posting I went back a page, and noticed that funny link you had posted...!!! DOH!!! I'm there, working on catching up. smiley - smiley

Post 1284

Tamberlaine

Cheers all. Long time no post, been a wee bit busy as of the last few months and unable to get to the computer. Have we run this thread out and moved on to 68 already? Well will have to pop over and have a peek.
Tamberlaine

Post 1285

U195408

Hi Tamberlaine,

glad to hear you made it back OK. We're all at 69 actual, 68 just finished. smiley - smiley

dave

Post 1286

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*hands Tamberlain a backlog exemption coupon and points in the direction of Conversation 69X*

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more