A Conversation for Manic Street Preachers - the Band

the post Richey Edwards albums

Post 1

Seagull's Lost Horizon

I've only listened to everything must go, this is my truth and am just about to list to know your enemy, what are the first ones like how do they compare

Post 2

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

The first ealier albums are, in my humble opinion, infinitely better than the more recent stuff. The Holy Bible should belong in everyone's record collection, simply for being one of the most dark and fascinatingly twisted album of all time. Generation Terrorists is also a great album, filled with rocking guitar punk songs that actually have some kind of meaning to them. As for Gold against the Soul, that' not as good as the other two Pre-dissappeance albums, but has some great tracks on it.
Since Richey disappeared the Manics just seem to have got fat and directionless...well...maybe that's unfair, Everything Must Go is really quite good. But I recommend getting GT and the holy bible to anyone who wants to here what the manics SHOULD have topped the charts with

Post 3

Seagull's Lost Horizon

IS THERE A SONG CALLED SLASH AND BURN?, I think I have it on a tape somewhere can't remember what its like though, which album is that from

Post 4

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

Slash and Burn Does exist, it is an absolutely brilliant song, very representative of it's album..the fantastic (pathetic fanfare) Generation Terrorists....(track one if I remember rightly).
Hope that answer's your question satisfactorily.

Post 5

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

It is track one on GT. It's not as good as track 4, "Motorcycle Emptyness" though. That's a fan favourite. Slash and Burn also turned up on Corrosion a new heavy rock/metal compalation album.

PS. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of non-album singles such as Mowtown Junk or Masses against the Classes?

Post 6

Seagull's Lost Horizon

I'll have to find slash and burn and see whats its like

as for the non albun tracks either search the complations albums or seach the singles at second hand shops, thats all I can help

Post 7

I found a copy of New Art Riot EP in HMV a few months ago...and the others could probably found with a bit of hunting...especially masses against the classes..which was quite recent
Try Amazon.co.uk as well...it might be on there.
If you're really desperate for some of the other stuff I know that there is a compilation of welsh music called m for merthyr that has Strip it down (from the Aforementioned EP) on it...but that's quite a large effort for just one song I guess maybe

Post 8

Sick Bob. (Most recent incarnation of the Dark Lord Cyclops. Still lord and master of the Anti Squirrel League and Keeper of c

I'm a member of the Queen Margaret Union of Glasgow University and every now and then they have CD sales where people flog second hand and bootleg albums. i might find something there although I haven't so far. I managed to get a Radiohead 2CD Bootleg with just about all their B-sides (39 tracks) on it for less than £20 which is not bad. I'm planning to make up a Radiohead page myself (there obviously already is a Manic's page.) If anyone has ideas for it.

Post 9

I've already done a little Radiohead page, but it's not very full, if you've got anything interesting to add go and start a discussion. I can't remember the URL, just have a look at it from my space.

Post 10

Good Angel - recently become obsessed to the point of psychosis with the film 'Bio-Dome'

Hey! I'm going to Glasgow Uni in October and am planning on spending most of my four years hogging the jukebox in the QMU. Is it true that the only decent song is Rage Against The Machine?

About the Manics singles: a couple of years ago they re-released all the Manics singles in one day, so finding New Art Riot shouldn't be too difficult. On last count they had about 5 in HMV on Union Street in Glasgow. Masses Against the Classes might be more difficult because it was only a limited release but they might still have them. For Motown Junk I'd try record fairs and stuff, but it'll be expensive. And I know someone who found the Chemical Brothers remix of Faster promo copy in a charity shop for 50p. And it's worth about £100, so hunt! Avalanche is usually good for stuff like that actually.

Post 11

Cool.

At the moment I've been mostly spending my time in Fopp (Union St and Byers Road) and the big Virgin Megastore on the corner of Buchanan and Suchiehall St. (I know someone who works there)

The QM has a strange attractive quality to it. Considering that it's such an ugly building. You will find that shortly after Freshers week that whenever you have nothing to do your legs will walk you through the QM doors without asking your brain first. It's an automatic reaction. You will also spend large amounts of time in Jims Bar and the Food Factory when you don't even want food or drink but you simply can't leave the atmosphere and you're addicted to the jukebox and the weird conversations that you are having with the (Alan partridge quote) "Mentalists" smiley - bigeyesthat always appear to be there.
I'm currently in first year but I've already applied to be a freshers helper next year. If you see a mad scary looking dude in a QM t-shirt scaring freshers and abusing his authority then it's probably me. smiley - devil

Where is Avalanche? This sounds useful.

PS. The jukebox is usually good in Jims Bar (the one in the Factory is a bit suspect.) They've got music by the Manics, Rage against the Machine, Nirvana, Radiohead, Portishead, Green Day, Skunk anansie, Garbage, Massive Attack etc. As well as some classic rock from Led Zep, Deep Purple, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton etc.
They also change the CD's every now and then to match tastes. (eg. A few weeks ago they added "the marshall mathers lp" much to rap fan's enjoyment but after one week of "Stan" 24-7 they took it back out much to non-rap fans enjoyment)

PPS. If you consider yourself a wierd person (you probably should if you're joining the QMU) then click on my name and go to the forum called grrrr......hsssss! it will mess up your mind. It starts as vitriol against Neds everywhere (or Townies as they're called in England) but ends up discussing Monkey Butlers and the great Squirrel Conspiracy. Be afraid. Be very Afraid.

Post 12

Katsy a.k.a. Esti

Apparently theres a shop in Notting Hill selling The Masses Against The Classes for about £5, which I want to get cos my band are covering it.

On [URL removed by moderator] you can get New Art Riot for £30 but they only have 2 copies left, so hurry! smiley - winkeye

Post 13

hehehehehehehehehe
I got New Art Riot for a fiver in HMV..and I got masses against the classes when it came out for 3 quid....you poor poor people (i mean..i know its ahrd to find..but you shouldn't pay £30 fro new art riot EP (unless you're getting it from me smiley - winkeye) i got it last year and it was still only a fiver..brand new (although it was CD rather than vinyl..vinyl would have been nicer

Post 14

Good Angel - recently become obsessed to the point of psychosis with the film 'Bio-Dome'

That's cos the one you bought wasn't the original, it was a re-released version (round about the time This Is My Truth... came out).The original is a real multi-coloured cut-and-paste job. But it's the same tunes, so unless you're a real pedantic collctor it doesn't really matter. I've only got the new one as well. The one for £30 is probably the original.

Post 15

Katsy a.k.a. Esti

I'd rather have New Art Riot on CD anyway cos we've only got one record player and its in my brother's room, we've got another one but its not plugged in and it would take ages smiley - sadface

After I get Everything Must Go I'll start trying to get the singles, maybe I'll ask the local Virgin Megastore what they have on their database smiley - winkeye

Post 16

hmm..can you describe the orignal New Art Riot EP...cause i see no mention of any dates after 1994 (or wahtever year it was from)

Post 17

The original I think came out in three different colours (blue, red and yellow), and is in a cardboard sleeve, I think... The new one isn't re-recorded, they just put it out in a new case: it's got the EU flag on the front I think (Blue, yellow stars?) and is in a plastic case, and the disc has pictures of cut-out articles from NME and the like on it. They re-released ALL their singles in one go just before "This Is My Truth..." came out and I think they all charted between no.75 and no.41.

All of the above might be absolute squirrel excrement, of course, but I think I'm right...

Nurse smiley - nurse? More medication please, the voices are coming back!! No!!! Stop the voices!!!!!

smiley - angel

Post 18

Hi everyone

(sorry I like to make an entrance)

New Art Riot did originally come in three colours (I think the photos were done by Richie before he was even a member..?) and this is why any edition is really expensive especially the first because it was in a different colour (as above, am I repeating myself?) and very rare. I want to get a copy of Motown Junk too. Not just the early stuff either, Masses against the Classes never turned up on an album either and I'd like a copy of that too.
I might be seeing them in Irvine. I might not. I have 24 hours to sort myself out.
Wish me luck.

PS. I find that the voices go away if you drink malibu while singing "Baggy Trousers" and repeatively smashing your head off the wall. It may only work for me though.

Post 19

I think something says the photo is collapsed European Stars (it also features on Generation Terrorists on the inside) Its by somebody other than richey..possibly dan something (i dont have the album to hand unfortunately..so i have no idea really)

Post 20

I wasn't meaning "collapsed European stars" but the photo of the band by Richie that turns up on all really old singles.

As for the GT sleeve notes...

Photography: "Crucifix" and "Collapsed European Stars" (detail) by Manic Street Preachers. Photographed by Tom Sheeham.

If that makes sense them you have an explanation. Personally I'm having trouble working out how more than one person can be acreditted for taking a photo.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more