A Conversation for Crater Labs, Inc.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 201

Garius Lupus

Just had to refresh my memory on where we are, etc. Thought it might help the rest of you too. Please correct me if I get something wrong.

Affy and I have just rejoined Odra and Redbeard in the tunnels under h2g2. They had just met up with Styx and 5 of the 6 white search rats. Ampton was left behind at the computer terminal in the heart of h2g2 (some sort of control room in the basement of the towers - my memory is a bit fuzzy here - feel free to fill in more details smiley - smiley ).

Lil and Ferrari are on the surface and are just about to enter the white temple.

Red is also on the surface. He is investigating the mine, which turns out to be in the crater. He has met up with Ook, or a descendant of Ook. Red has seen CLI, but it now has STUMPED on the sign below the CLI logo. Ook has said something about GL and Affy being captive, but Red denies it, having just talked to them on the radio. Red has also seen that the disguised apes wear CLI uniforms under the ape costumes.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 202

Researcher 99947

Where is that echo coming from? Blasted temples and their acoustics

The Temple of the Guide

Post 203

The Masque of the Red..., Emperor of Planet X

Sporky, on the other hand, has just materialized in the temple, giving no explaination whatsoever

The Temple of the Guide

Post 204

Afgncaap5

But didn't Sporky show up earlier? Before we met the natives? Then he joined our group, right? Anyway, let's do something constructive*

Okay, Odra, Red, Styx, and, er...Search Rats, we're trying to find mines of some sort, so let's get going. I think we're supposed to go this way...

*Affy wanders down a passage to the southeast. He returns from a passage to the west a few moments later, looking confused*

Okay, maybe not.

*Affy turns to Montressor who, for the first time in Affy's memory, is being a fairly nice and decent individual*

Montressor, would you mind it if you could show us the way to these mines? We need to find them, and I'd really be grateful if you could help us.

*Montressor thinks for a moment, then points down a dark and gloomy looking passage. Affy, GL, Redbeard, Odra, Styx, and the rats all follow, along with whoever else Affy may have forgotten*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 205

Garius Lupus

*The dark passage descends and slowly narrows, forcing the group into single-file. It slowly becomes darker, so that the members of the group have to hold onto the person in front of them or risk losing the group. Montressor leads the way, making several turns into crossing passageways. After what seems like an eternity, dim light can be seen ahead. The passage suddenly widens to about 10 feet across and is lined with flickering torches at long intervals. A murmur of voices can be heard ahead. GL stops Montressor.*

Montressor, is it safe for us to be seen by whoever is up ahead?

*Montressor makes a dismissive noise and continues on. The passage now has barred cells on either side, all empty. The voices seem to be coming from some of the cells ahead. A cold apprehension fills GL as Montressor continues on at the same pace. His lead lengthens as the group involuntarily slows down, as if dreading what they will find. Eventually the group comes up to the first occupied cell. GL's mouth drops open in shock as he instantly recognizes the occupants. From inside the cell, Affy's voice rings out:*

What took you so long?

*The GL and Affy outside the cell are speechless as they look on their duplicates in the cell.*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 206

Afgncaap5

*Affy, glares at the Affy inside the cell*

Okay, I know you're me, I think I don't need any proof for that. Just one thing-I make a living annoying other people, so I don't know if I want to let you out. You're probably the only person I couldn't stand being around for a while. Would it be all right if I left you in here?

Affy2-If you leave me in here, then you'll get stuck in here yourself eventually. Remember "Sorcerer"?

Affy1-Oh. Yeah. The whole spellbook thing.

*Affy arms his OmeGauntlet, and points it at the locking mechanism on the cell*

Affy2-No! There's probably an alarm! Look, a Guard-Bot is going to come by any second. Have Montressor disable the robot, take its key, then have Montressor reprogram it so that the guard will pass by with no recolection of anything happening.

Affy1-How do you know a guard's coming?

Affy2-Sorcerer.

Affy1-Sorry, never mind.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 207

Afgncaap5

*Everyone outside the cell hides in shadows, and before long a metallic clanging is heard. Within moments, a very large robot comes down the hall, inspecting the cell*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 208

Afgncaap5

*Yes, that's right. A large robot is inspecting the cell. Yep. Sure is. That's one big robot, yup. At least twice the size of Montressor, who leaps from the shadows, and swiftly disconnetcs the guard bot. Affy steps out and takes some keys*

Okay, maybe we can get some answers now...

The Temple of the Guide

Post 209

Garius Lupus

So, why were you guys locked up?

Garius 2: Well, as you know, you, um, I, um, we have the two parts of ourselves - the good and the evil. Well, since your time, the evil part has become stronger and the good part has become weaker. The same has happened to Affy, there. Right now, the evil parts have control of our bodies almost all the time, but after a week or so, the pressure from the good parts becomes such that the evil parts must let us out. To control us, though, they first lock themselves in these cells. That way us good guys can do nothing to break the evil one's control of h2g2. After a few hours, the evil ones reassert their dominance of our bodies and the bots let them out. You happen to have come at a time when the good personas are in control. The evil ones could come back at any time.

Hmmmm. That is very interesting. Um ... Affy 1, can I have a private word with you, please.

*Steps out of earshot of the imprisoned duo.*

Affy - put up a memory shield, or else these guys will be able to remember what we do next.

*closes eyes and concentrates. After a few minutes, GL opens his eyes*
Okay, I have my memory shield up.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 210

Afgncaap5

*Affy concentrates, and puts up his own mind shield*

Okay, this isn't right. We're supposed to be in future h2g2. However, these guys act like The Krylma Leader is still possessing me, and that you're still schizophrenic. But that isn't the case, because of that self performed operation.

*Thinks for a bit*

But that operation was performed after we jumped to the future, so therefore the most probable future for us was to still retain that bit of insanity. However, these guys don't know we're from the wrong past. We are from the past, just not *their* past. Which means, their's still some hope for h2g2 to not turn out to be like this. OF course, that was always there, but it'll be a lot easier now.

Anyway, we should probably keep our mind shields up, and go along with these guys, so that our evil personas don't suspect anything. I'll unlock 'em, and you explain the situation to the rest of our group.

*Affy walks over to the cell, and inserts the keys into the lock*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 211

Garius Lupus

*GL motions the others aside, out of earshot*

You see, this future that we find ourselves in is just one of an infinite number of futures that were possible when we left. In this one, Affy and I never separated our evil parts from our good parts and the evil parts have all but taken over. I suspect they were somehow involved in the disasterous skin change, but even if they weren't they are certainly causing a great deal of suffering with their mining operation. The easiest thing to do would be to leave this future to them and go back to our own and try to forget this one. But I don't think I can do that. We need to find a way to get these evil versions of Affy and I under control and then free the slaves. I don't know if there is anything we can do about the new skin, but perhaps Ampton will find something in the computers.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 212

Afgncaap5

*Affy is about to unlock the door to the cell when a worried look comes over Affy2's face. Affy1 looks on in question as Affy2 draws his sword. It's glowing blue. Affy2 looks at Affy1 suspiciously for a moment before shaking his head*

You'd better hurry. Something in the past must've changed, and a robot's coming, or something. Anyway, we'll revert back to KL and BBW soon, so you'd better unlock us and try to stop this operation.

*Affy1 breathes a sigh of relief as he unlocks the door to the cell, hoping that Affy2 and GL2 won't figure out what's really going on*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 213

Afgncaap5

*Anyone? Lil? Garius? Redbeard? Odra? Red? Styx?*

The Temple of the Guide

Post 214

Odradek (she who lurks, green Lifesaver-like)

*Odra is heard faintly cursing in the dark as she tries in vain to get her small flashlight to work*

Anyone?

Hullo?

l think l've lost everyone...

The Temple of the Guide

Post 215

Garius Lupus

*GL turns to speak to Odra and Redbeard and finds them gone.*

Hey Affy - where did Odra and Redbeard go. They were with us a minute ago. Hope they are okay.

*Turns back to the duplicate Affy and GL*

Now, if we could find a way to strengthen your good sides and delay the return of your evil parts ...

The Temple of the Guide

Post 216

Afgncaap5

*Slaps his head, reaches into his pocket, and pulls out a pocket thermos. He hands it to Future Affy, who opens it, grins a bewildered grin, and drinks it*

There. Coffee. That should hold off KL for a bit. He'll figure out what's happening, though.

The Temple of the Guide

Post 217

Ketsar and Poxlu, the MewOne Twins

[The Twins materialize above them]

The Temple of the Guide

Post 218

Afgncaap5

Why and how? Not that I mind someone else bringing up this conversation, of course, but we've got to abide by the rules of continuity even in parallel futuristic dimensions.

Meanwhile, Back at the Rift

Post 219

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Ack!

*Lil finds herself standing in broad daylight, in a broad clearing around which is a high-canopied jungle. There is the sound of running water somewhere in the near distance, and tied to a stout tree nearby is a dirigible with a raft harnessed to its underside*

*barely audible, Lil becomes aware of a rhythmic thumping, as of far off drums*

Huh?
*removing the luminescent squid from her stetson, Lil turns, hoping to see the tell-tale flicker of a rift, but the sunlight is too bright*

Affi? Affi? Hellllp!

This post is based on the first two led's of this thread*

Meanwhile, Back at the Rift

Post 220

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*hearing a noise, Lil turns round again and finds herself facing several humanoids. Orchids are growing in their hair and on their shoulders*

[humanoid 1] Hi asl plz

Key: Complain about this post