A Conversation for Earth

Not Boring!

Post 21

Breeze

Hullo Breeze. This is the breeze mama. Maybe there is intelligent life on zlob. But on Gaia, I have my doubts sometimes, like now. Breeze knows what I'm on about, and to disprove my doubts, should now post a reasoned reply.

to Breeze

Post 22

Cannott Spel

Look at the Drake theory. All of the Billions of stars, each with their own planets. There has to be life out there. But is it intellegent? Can it communicate? Can we contact Life on other planets?

You're not from round here are you?

Post 23

Cannott Spel

what is wrong with Bradford Lad. Years ago I used to work there commuting from my Home town of Leeds.
You have a couple of really interesting places to visit. There is the Museum of Photography, complete with a Imax theatre. I saw the film Antactica, with breathtaking underwater views, being Imax you feel you are there.
They also have the Colour Museum, where you discover that one in a hundred men and twelve in a thousand women are colourblind, mainly in the red/green area. Which is why all traffic lights these days contain the three colours. At one time at some roadworks they had some traffic lights with a red and a green only at night there were many accidents.
I love Bradford at Christmas when the Town Hall pipe organ plays hymns and Christmas tunes

from Breeze

Post 24

Breeze

I'm pretty sure that life out there does exist, in a universe which does have trillions (not sure how many but it's a lot) of stars and planets. And probably some of those would have evolved into intelligent species, which we could definitely learn a lot from...

I don't think we can count the planet Zlob, though.

breeze mama and grand zorg...

Post 25

Breeze

...should get their own user names.

breeze mama and grand zorg...

Post 26

Grand Zorg

breeze shouldn't use GZ and breeze mama's computer as her own!

from Breeze

Post 27

Grand Zorg

There are lots of stars - probably more than can be counted. But as for planets, there are only 10 known for sure; the nine you have your solar system, and the one called Zlob, which is the home planet of GZ, of course.

Though I do hear that astronomers on Earth have actually managed to "see" a planet belonging to another star for the first time recently. (As distinct from guessing it's there due to the peculiar motion of the star blah blah)

to everybody

Post 28

Breeze

Sorry about all this, I have *not* got a split personality! Yes I have. No I haven't. Yes I have... smiley - winkeye

Planets

Post 29

lakafwee

Actually, over 30 extrasolar planets have been found, out of which only one has been seen. The smallest planet found is a bit smaller than Saturn and all are merely huge gazeous globes floating around in crazy eliptical orbits. As of today, no circular orbiting planet were seen, so unless healthy, living farts enjoy drastic climate changes, we're still far from seeing the first signs of extrasolar life...

Bradford? Pictures?

Post 30

True Researcher

Who'd take pictures of Bradford? The man who does the photographs for the "Don't come here" books?

You're not from round here are you?

Post 31

e-griff

I had the same problem - see my 'Venus de Milo'entry. I had a critique that completely failed to register the simple joke about Ford's entry and its update on earth.

Probablility factor 1mil to 1

Post 32

Researcher Eddie

Ah - but when you study the staggeringly tiny chance that the right proteins joined up just when they did, and that there was the right local conditions, and that we have the right gravity, and temperature and variance in weather, and happen to be composed of exactly the right components, in the right quantities - I'd say it'd be arrogant to believe we are alone, but we are more likely one of few, not many living planets. Add to that the insanely small chance of sentience (as we like to think of it), the chances that we are the only intelligent things in the Universe looks quite high. We'd be picking up all sorts of radio/communication cross traffic if there were lots of us.

Saying that, the Magretha theory looks quite probable in our case.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more