A Conversation for Lying

Lying

Post 1

Jono

There's an excellent example of how to lie in Jurrasic Park when the guy who runs the computer system makes an excuse to shut parts of the system off while he goes to get a soda. He over explains his reasons and keeps going on about it even though no one is paying much attention to him. No one susses him because he has clearly been devious all the time.

Lying

Post 2

bam

I don't believe you...

Lying

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

3 types of lies:
lies
damned lies
statistics

And remember that 98% of all statistics are made up on the spot. smiley - winkeye

Lying

Post 4

Vitaliser

Yeah and by the way the statistics that are made up are usualy the ones which make the most sense.... I remember having to do a survey of peoples shoping habits for school once for school once... Ended up just making up the results and getting the best grade.... yay....

Lying

Post 5

Fate Amenable To Change

Spot on point about bad liars being embarassing - you can spot crap lies, and it is cringey.

Lying

Post 6

Contemplation (Zaphodista in a Cloak of Goo)

If some one avoids telling the truth, then is that a lie?

Lying

Post 7

Antithesis

I don't think so... if they AVOID it then it's not a lie, but if they don't tell the WHOLE truth then it is. Then again, aren't they the same thing?

Shameless Spam

Post 8

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I'm working on a related project about a type of lie, the urban legend. If any of you know a good urban legend, I'd like to hear it. I'll be listening right over here: http://www.h2g2.com/A184457

Lying

Post 9

Yes, in the end, they are the same thing. For the simple reason that they lack truth.

Okay, if someone is confronted, and they avoid telling the truth, I can see that as being a lie. But if they tell part of the truth, without actually lying (I.E.- I admit I swerved to miss a cat in the road, thus hitting a tree (the truth I tell). However, I dont mention that I was blitzed on spirits at the time (the truth I dont tell). The cat was there, and escaped with most of its lives, which is more than could be said for the car. Had I been sober, then I could have maintained control of the vehicle, and not crashed it.), would this be a lie? Or would it become a half truth? And is there a difference?

Lying

Post 10

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

And 43.3% are completely meaningless.

Also, a lie must contain a high degree of the truth to be plausible.

o      o       o      o
smiley - fish° smiley - fish° smiley - fish° smiley - fish°

Lying

Post 11

And yet, it is still a lie. Why not just tell the truth to begin with, especially if you are going to tell some or most of the truth to endorse your lie?

Lying

Post 12

Antithesis

Yeah, I think that in the end, the truth is always better. Except in Cyrano de Bourgeac (spelling?) when he told that guy right before he died that he told the girl all about what had happened and she still loved him even though it was a lie. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lying

Post 13

so. he lied that the girl was still in love with him? No, I dont think that is any better... I would rather die with the truth and honesty, than an illusion. Then again, I may be weird like that...

Lying

Post 14

Antithesis

Perhaps. "Weird" as in different, maybe, but not "weird" as in abnormal. Then again, isn't being different being abnormal? My brain hurts.

Lying

Post 15

JerLou Chrymari Researcher 111093

One Thing that I know about lyong is that I am not good at it, I do not have good memory.

Key: Complain about this post