A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Announcement 2019-04-14: Pliny

Post 41

Cheerful Dragon

Thanks for the GuideML, but how do I use it, exactly?

Post 42

Gnomon - time to move on

Edit your personal space and put the code that the Prof provided at the top of your space, between the and the tags:

#9966FF

This will convert your Brunel personal space into a vile violet colour. You can use different 6-character colour codes after the # to get other colours. Your Classic Goo, Alabaster or Plain personal spaces will not be affected.

The six characters after the # are hexadecimal digits, so they can be 0-9 or A-F. They are three 2-digit hexadecimal numbers representing the amount of red, green and blue in the colour. If you want further instructions on how to choose these, let me know.

Post 43

Cheerful Dragon

What effect would it have if I used the GuideML and switched back to Pliny? I presume that Pliny would be unaffected. If so, I may use it just in case Pliny throws another hissy fit.

Post 44

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

That's not possiblesmiley - smiley Think of Pliny and Brunel/Alabaster/Goo (Classic) as 2 books in 2 different languages. You can try to swap the dust jackets, but that won't change the contents. And the books are different sizes, as well, so you can't actually swap the dust jackets... (Better analogies may be made by just about anyone, because I'm bad at 'em...)

Post 45

Gnomon - time to move on

Cheerful Dragon, you can use the Brunel code in your Personal Space and it will have no effect on the way the page is displayed in Pliny.

Post 46

Gnomon - time to move on

One thing that will cause Pliny to fail to display your page is if you put the GUIDE and /GUIDE tags in lowercase. They will display OK in any of the Ripley skins but the whole page becomes invisible in Pliny.

Post 47

Gnomon - time to move on

Glad to see that Pliny is back working again.

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Post 48

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Cn anyone tell me how to keep Brunel as my main page, I know all about the preference page but it keeps coming up as Pliny when I go to my personal space from another site

Post 49

Gnomon - time to move on

What do you mean by "when I go to my personal space from another site"? Are you following a link?

If so, you need to make sure the link is to:

http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/u190551

It's important that you don't put www in front of the h2g2.com.

Post 50

Milla, h2g2 Operations

As mentioned otherwhere, bookmark your page in your preferred skin, and use that link. Starting to type the URL might "mislead" you to the Pliny version...

And in Brunel, never click the front page links - they WILL take you to Pliny.
Unless you actually want Pliny, of course smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

Post 51

Baron Grim

You can also simply PIN the tab you have open to your home page and just leave it open on that page. That's what I do on my desktop computers and on my mobile devices. On my mobile devices I also leave "My Convos" list open on its own tab and refresh if necessary when I open my browser again.

Post 52

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I will leave this to the experts. smiley - smiley

Post 53

bobstafford

The important thing is we have now just about sorted the problems.
We must all remember all the hard work hour upon hour, that has been done on our behalf.
Well done to all involved in sorting the problems, it has been very much appreciated.
So you all deserve a big thank you smiley - ok

THANK YOU ALL

BS

Post 54

FWR

Well said Bob. My thanks too.

Post 55

Cheerful Dragon

Mine too! In fact, smiley - pggb all round. Or smiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - cappuccinosmiley - tea - whatever the techies want, the virtual drinks are on me!smiley - oksmiley - cheers

Post 56

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I wonder if it's smiley - ok to serve smiley - pggbsmiley - pggb to smiley - hamstersmiley - hamstersmiley - huh

Oh well, I guess they know best, so smiley - cheers

smiley - pirate

Post 57

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Thank you Gnomon, it worked perfectly.

NO MORE SODDING PLINY

Post 58

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I submit that diversity is one of our strengths. We tend to become attached to our favorite "skins." Nothing wrong with that. Let's keep them as long as we can. smiley - smiley

Post 59

Icy North

Except for Brunel, of course. No point keeping that one...

smiley - run

Post 60

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Except for its utility in editing smiley - thepost. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more