lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Not if I test it, Nbb smiley - ok

lil x

Sunday 3 February 2013: Announcing The Return of the Move Thread Tool

Post 22

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok

Rec'd and understood.
Please forgive my overzealous devilish avacadoes.
I get that way on Sundays. Especially snowbound Sundays.
smiley - snowman

smiley - towel
~jwf~

Post 23

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

As long as you guys don't invent a smiley - bleeping auto-pc-button smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 24

Pastey

Nowt wrong with being zealous about that which we love jwf, one of the reasons I've got involved here over the years and am currently putting most of my spare time into modernising it.

I build systems like this for a living during the day, and it's galling that we can't have something as good, if not better for ourselves.I'm hoping though that with the next roll out of code we'll be a massive step closer to being modern, and have a springboard to start innovating again.

If we didn't care, we'd fester smiley - winkeye

Post 25

Pastey

An Auto-PC button? I did actually build a system for a client about five years ago now (I'm getting old smiley - laugh) that allowed the user to set their own level of profanity that they were happy with seeing, and then as each post was pulled out for display, the words at a higher level than they wished to see, were blocked out.
It was also clever enough to pick up on a truly offensive posting in and out of context and use a sensible level of auto-moderation.

Thing was, as soon as the client tried it out, they hated it as it kept telling them they were swearing too much and they didn't know they could change their settings. Even though they were the ones who asked for it to do that.

We've looked into bringing this sort of system into h2g2 though, where you get to say what level of profanity you don't mind seeing, and initial tests look pretty good, except for one major flaw... we found that one or two test users (okay, me) tended to swear a lot more than they normally would.

Post 26

U14993989

Excellent, well done and much appreciated. Ignore the Luddite nay-sayers. Repairing is much better than leaving things broke. A tool is a tool is a tool - it is what makes man man, man the tool maker.

There are three types of people in the world, those that make pudding, those that complain about the pudding before the eating, and those that have a default appreciative mode for the pudding makers, that a pudding has been created for their eating.

so thanks for the pudding smiley - cheers

Post 27

benjaminpmoore

Woah- there's pudding?

Post 28

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - jester

Yeah, the puddings on the Ritz.

smiley - nur
~jwf~

Post 29

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I think any autoerotic corect as you type feeture wood incounter some pretty tuff trebbles in teh fist few leithe postings on teh site....It'd knot last a mynewt... smiley - whistle

An 'edit' button?! would we all be forrest to go back and edit out all of our own invididual tipping errors? that wcould take a lifetime.... several lifetimes for some of us smiley - winkeyesmiley - doh ......

Just don't try design an retrospective autocorrect software doobry, and run it over the entire site.... I fear it may hit an infinite loop circle from which It could never escape smiley - zen oo.... but it'd have to be called the nighthoover circle, as it went round and round in perpituity attempting to unmuddle all the spelling in all the posts smiley - weirdsmiley - ghostsmiley - ufo

Post 30

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

It would need a 2legs escape clause...smiley - run

Post 31

U14993989

>> Woah- there's pudding? <<

It's a cut and pastry smiley - run

Post 32

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 25:

The kind of auto-pc-button you mention could actually be fun at times smiley - rofl

I can also see the advantage of such a button in a translation robot:

When Queen Lizzy visited her relatives over here some years ago a lot of people had to run around and tape over certain danish words and phrases that might not have amused her

For example signs on elevators/lifts saying "I fart" (Danish for "in motion"), signs over book stores (which are call a boghandel over here) - and all the signs concerning the town of Middelfart...

Okay, move along, nothing more to see here, keep uf the good w*rk smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 33

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - evilgrinis there going to be a "when can I twiddle with my P/S guideml again" buttonsmiley - whistle

Post 34

hygienicdispenser

This thread seems to be going seriously off topic. Perhaps it should be moved.smiley - run

Post 35

benjaminpmoore

Yes, yes, yes, but what sort of filling does the pastry have?

Post 36

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

34 posts - as soon as i saw the first post I was waiting for someone to make the comment that it should be moved smiley - biggrin

Post 37

hygienicdispenser

It was a bit obvious, but someone had to do it.

Post 38

I feel deeply moved by the thread; does that count? smiley - weird

Does this new move feature work temporally as well as spatially? that might be kinda weird smiley - ufosmiley - alienfrown

oh, and I don't want to have my own claws smiley - silly ()reference to the 2legs clause) smiley - erm hmmm. any potential humour that may have, once had the potential to evoke, has thusly been removed by both the over-elaboration of the reference to which it pertained, and this over-long, un-simplified explanatory side note, which should, itself, probalby be in brackets, or at least rendered by suitable punctuation into something not wildly disimular to a footnote. hmmm. epic fail smiley - run

Post 39

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I doubt the moving tool does it in a planck second, so i suspect it does move it temporally as well...as it would if it sat here smiley - winkeye

Post 40

But... then... we've invented time travel! smiley - wowsmiley - ufosmiley - zen could we move all the threads back, just a wee* bit... I'm sure it wouldn't cause any temporal anomalies.... just back to a day or two before the final message from the hoovery one smiley - grovelsmiley - sillysmiley - winekey

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more