A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Saturday 5 May, 2012: Late Night Edition of the h2g2 Announcements - h2g2's Social Networking Accounts

Post 41

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You won't be automatically changed to Pliny. But you will be able to use it as a preference, in the same way that people can stay with their preferences of choice.

Those who are not signed in will be directed to Pliny as a default.

Saturday 5 May, 2012: Late Night Edition of the h2g2 Announcements - h2g2's Social Networking Accounts

Post 42

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - bigeyes Where'd we get to in the big countdown? < smiley - sillysmiley - boing

Post 43

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I don't know! But isn't it exciting?

smiley - cracker

Post 44

(I've mainly been using the new site the past week anyhow, just in case I randomly spotted any bugs to be blasted....) smiley - biggrin but still exciting, all my nipples are tingling smiley - blushsmiley - blackcatsmiley - boingsmiley - geek Wish my ISP would hurry up and update/refresh their gizmo box... I know I could just click the link to it in my bookmarks... but that* would be cheating... right? smiley - sillysmiley - boingsmiley - crackersmiley - pandasmiley - boingsmiley - bubblysmiley - corncobsmiley - winekey

Post 45

Z

I"ve been using Pliny as part of the testing, and I have to say it didn't take long to get used to not having 'My Conversations' in fact about a day. I used to use it a lot more before I used tabbed browsering, but I now I only have one window for the internet.

The 'my conversations page' does the job just as well for me smiley - biggrin

Post 46

Gnomon - time to move on

I find the easiest in Pliny is to bookmark the "My Conversations" page onto the bookmark toolbar, and then just click the button any time you want to check on the conversations. That's as easy as clicking a button to call up the old popupwindow (which was always hidden behind the current window), then refreshing it to make sure it was current.

It could be better, in that the My Conversations page could have links to the latest unread conversation, as there is in Ripley, but I believe that's in the list of requested enhancements, so we should get it soon.

Post 47

Baron Grim

That's what I like about the popup, it refreshes itself every two minutes. I've added a link to it on my home page since I can't seem to get back to brunel now after switching briefly to pliny to check it out.

Post 48

So, do we have to actively switch to Pliney, or should It happen automatically? smiley - erm

Post 49

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Can I press buttons now? smiley - ok

Post 50

h2g2 Communications

Yes, you can press all the buttons you like. smiley - biggrin

2legs, when there's a change like this, it can take up to 48 hours to for the information to reach all parts of the Internet. If the change hasn't reached you yet, you are welcome to log in Pliny directly using http://pliny.h2g2.com instead of http://h2g2.com

If you look in your settings, you can select "Pliny" as your preferred skin.

Congratulations to everyone who made this launch a success!
smiley - bubbly

Post 51

Witty Moniker

Rest assured that I will advocate for the conversation pop up. It's compact size and automatic refreshing are indispensible to me, particularly while multitasking at work.

Post 52

hygienicdispenser

If I click on '7 new posts' in a 4015 post long conversation that I am following, will I go to post 4009 or post 1?

Post 53

KWDave

This works really fast, and looks very sharp. Good job all around, team! smiley - magic

Post 54

Baron Grim

Well, everything has gone all pear shaped for me. I can't get back to brunel and my convos popup is nonfunctional now. Clicking on the new posts links does nothing now.

Post 55

Baron Grim

Also, after I switch my preference to brunel it sends me to my space, then when I click on "front page" I get the site's odd 404 page.

Post 56

Z

Try this link : http://wsogmm.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/F21546918?thread=8293111&latest=1 should get you back to brunel.

Post 57

Z

http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/A58059291

Try cutting and pasting this to your browser.

Post 58

hygienicdispenser

Here's a slobbery kiss to all the people who are working through the night:

smiley - smooch

You're going to have to share it between you though. No pushing at the back.

Post 59

Baron Grim

How is matchstick modelling going to help with my h2g2 issues.

Also, when I'm using the pliny conversations page, clicking on post links always takes me to the first post of the conversation rather than the latest.

Post 60

Z

Because Its a link to an entry in brunel, so that might switch you back.

Key: Complain about this post